Nissan Titan Forum banner

clank noise

8K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  dhill 
#1 ·
so when im driving and i let off the gas i hear a clank. it only does it when i let off the gas and not his the gas. i think it does it sometimes when im shifting to. i checked the u joints and its not those what else could it be?

#2 ·
also when im driving sometimes when i let off the gas i hear the clank noise and it feels like it pulls me back for a second or slows me down for second and also when i turn i feel a pop in the steering wheel and i hear a faint noise.

#3 ·
Sounds like a U joint to me... but I'm no expert.

#4 ·
thats what i thought too but i checked them and they seemed fine.

#5 ·
what else could it be besides that?

#6 ·
Could be the transmission mount. Lifted Titans tend to wreak havoc on them. But I think you hear it clunk on acceleration.

I have a similar clunk in my Ranger. After rebuilding the rear axle and u-joints it went away slightly for a while and now it's back. We think it's the transmission. Driving up hill and letting off the gas will make it clunk every time.

#7 ·
i took it by the local shop and they just looked under it and the said those looked good to.

#8 ·
Hate to say this ,,,,,but popping sounds are no good when turning might want to pull diff cover and inspect spyder gears. also what year truck and model ?

#9 ·
also that transmission mountis known to go ,you should look at it yourself. It it a rubber bushing with metal bracket and it might look ok to somebody that does not know whast to look for. the rubber will split apart and you end up with NO connection.

#10 ·
for the turning i don't think their really is noise i just feel the pop so i assumed there was a popping noise to but i haven't actually heard it. when i had my jeep i had the same pooping time thing in my front suspension and put some grease in the track bar/tie rod and it fixed it could that be the problem with mine. i really haven't looked at my suspension. 2008 LE

#11 ·
actually i do hear a noise somewhere in my front suspension anyone have any ideas what it could be. and any other thought on why i hear a clank noise when i let off the gas.

#13 ·
so you think its the diff? i went back there today and listened to it while my dad shifted it and it sounded like it could be coming from somewhere in the axle. what could be making the popping noise in the front?

#14 ·
anybody else have any ideas? i went mudding yesterday and it performed fine. never took it out of 2 wheel drive.

#15 ·
and i do hear a clank on accerlation and shifting.

#16 ·
Went back and read the entire thread. Feeling the clunk in the steering wheel would lead me to believe that the problem is in the front end. It could be the front differential. But when the front differential goes it is usually somewhat spectacular with fluid going all over the place. Have you checked the fluid level in the front differential?

Some of the symptoms you've described could be attributed to multiple issues in both the front and rear end. I still think the transmission mount should be your primary suspect.

#17 ·
okay i will get under there and look today. the front popping isnt an issue anymore. i just need to figure out whats going on in the rear.

#18 ·
i figuerd out that when i hit a pretty big bump i hear the clank in the back.

#19 ·
does anybody else have any ideas what it could be?

#21 ·
is there anyway i could check those. it really does sound like its coming from the back not the front though.

#22 ·
i replaced the u joints and still have the clank noise. it seems to only happen when you hit the gas let off the gas or shift from drive to reverse. i also replaced my shocks to day and now it doesn't seem to do it as often but is still there. could a wheel bearing be making the noise when my truck is parked and you push a rear wheel back in forth you can feel a click in the axle.

#24 ·
Most often you cannot see a tear in the tranny or engine mounts simply by looking at it because there is too much weight compressing the rubber part of the mount. Unless it is really torn bad and/or it shifted some. You need to take the weight off of the mounts to properly inspect them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#25 ·
Have you checked the leaf spring shackles? They have been known to break. But you normally notice it because A) the leaf spring comes through the bed or B) the truck leans badly.

#26 ·
no i havent checked that but i dont lean or have a spring through my bed haha. i just kinda learned to not care about it anymore because when whatever is making that noise fails then i will know what to fix:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.