Nissan Titan Forum banner

Toyo Open Country MT vs. ???

9K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Psychlone 
#1 ·
Hey all.

I'm in the market for some new tires for my truck and need some user input.

I've narrowed down my choices to 2 tires:
Toyo Open Country MT
Hankook DynaPro MT (because I had them on my truck in 2007 when I bought my truck and they performed GREAT, but didn't get as many miles as I wanted)

I've got the ProComp StageII 6" lift on my truck and am currently running Kumho Road Venture MT 35 x 1250 x 18.

I just picked up a set of 20" rims (can't remember exactly what they are, but they're nice, and they were CHEAP from a person that just sold their truck)

So since my Kumhos are almost dead at just over 15,000 miles (I'll NEVER own them again!), I'm in need of opinions and actual user input on the Toyo Open Country MT.

I've done a LOT of research on various forums (Jeep, Diesel, 4 Wheeler, etc.) and from what I've gathered, Toyo Open Country MT is all around a better tire than the Nitto Trail Grappler MT. The Toyo owners all have said it's a solid performer and all have gotten on average 30-35,000 miles out of a set, while the Nitto Trail Grappler owners largely complain about it feeling "squirmy" and getting loud after a few thousand miles, and the worst part: all have said they only last around 25,000 miles or less.

I would really appreciate some user input on how many miles YOU have on YOUR Toyo Open Country MT tires and if you'd buy them again or not.

Thanks for any and all opinions!
Psychlone

See less See more
#2 ·
I only have about 3k on my M/ts but they still look new. They are a bit noisy on turns but not terrible. Do not use them for snow. While they say they are snow rated they cant handle half an inch. For the winter i have siped 285/75 nitto terra grapplers on my stock 18's.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#4 ·
Really? Can't do snow? That's a killer right there... I've GOT to have something that works well in snow.

So you've owned BOTH the Terra Grapplers and the Open Country MT, and you prefer the Open Country until it comes to snow?
How is the tread life on the Terra Grapplers for you?? If they handle better in the snow AND can get decent miles out of them, then I'll definitely reconsider purchasing some.

If the Open Country really can't handle snow, they're out as far as I'm concerned. My original Hankook Dynapro MTs were KILLER in snow. I pulled out a 3/4 ton Ford F350 with my "little" Titan with those tires - blew the dude away watching me do it right after telling me there's no chance my truck was going to even budge his! LOL

@HRTKD: Now that I've heard that snow and Open Country don't play well together, I'm not thinking about P or LT ratings, I'm worried about getting stuck in 1/2" of snow!

Any other people and/or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks guys!

#3 ·
Are you going "P" or "LT" rated? I went with the Toyo AT LT because of the depth of the tread it came with. I have two sets of Toyos for my Titan but neither are MT's so I'm not much help to you.

#5 ·
MEATititan said he has MT's not AT's. I have AT's and they made it up a nasty trail with a few inches of snow on it and a bit of mud underneath and they got me there so I could pull another Titan out of a nasty spot. Here's the write-up: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/129386-titan-off-road-recovery.html.

Not many AT tires are worth a crap on ice. If you're really worried about ice then consider buying a set of true ice/snow tires and running them just in the winter. Lots more money to have a second set of tires/wheels/sensors but the ability to swap back and forth is very handy. I have the Toyo snow tires and they do great. I don't run with any weight in the bed.

#6 ·
I love the hankooks. And it surprises me you didn't get many miles of them. I got about 55000 out of mine with keeping them rotated every oil.change. my vote goes for.the hankooks. And yes They are killer in snow.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

@04offroadtitan: Thank you. I actually NEEDED to hear that.
I loved my Hankook Dynapro MTs, but always thought they didn't look as aggressive as some of my buddies Nittos and such...
It wasn't until after I downgraded to the Kumho RoadVenture MT that I found out that the Hankook MTs were as good as they actually are.

As for the mileage, it was PURELY my fault. In my defense, I had just purchased my '07 CC SE and did the Volant CAI, exhaust, TBS coolant bypass, helix TBS spacer and UpRev Osiris, and I was just happy as could be that I could burn those 35's most all the way through first and part way through second. TOTALLY my fault. Hell, I still do that once in a while at a dead stop, just to put the SRT10 guys in their place!

Anyway, I think I'll end up with the Hankook MTs again. Apparently DTD can't mail order Toyo tires, so my only choice would be to travel roughly 60 miles to the nearest DT retail store to try to get them to order them... seems cheaper AND easier to just go for the Hankook DynaPro MT.

Any other input will still be considered.
I read no less than 15 different forums on the Toyo Open Country MT in snow/ice, and opinions are varied - the consensus is that they do great in deep snow, but really crappy on packed snow and really bad on ice.

Anyway, any other input is still appreciated!

Psychlone

#8 ·
I read no less than 15 different forums on the Toyo Open Country MT in snow/ice, and opinions are varied - the consensus is that they do great in deep snow, but really crappy on packed snow and really bad on ice.
Could be. But the Toyo Open Country G-02+ tires are amazing on ice. They are a true ice/snow tire.

The lack of a local dealer is a huge issue. I mail ordered by G-02+ and I won't do that again. Without a local dealer to put the tire in front of for warranty claims it is very hard to get a claim honored. My next snow tires will likely be Bridgestone Blizzaks. I have those on my wife's minivan and they do great. Bridgestone didn't offer the size I needed at the time I bought the Toyos.

I have BFG AT KO (LT) tires on my Ranger and they are dangerous on ice. But put them in 12"+ of snow and it's a blast.

#10 ·
I know it's not a tire on your list but I'd recommend Goodyear Duratracs. Considered an all terrain due to it's on road mannners and quietness but looks like a bad a$$ MT. They are magical in snow/ice, do very well in mud and sand, and have good tread life. Most of the plow guys run 'em by me and I found myself having to use 4WD less often.

I had the same deal with my current rims. Too good a deal to pass up. Unfortunately they had some Nitto Terra Grapplers mounted to 'em so now I'm running those. They suck in snow/ice compared to Duratracs. Luckily there hasn't been a significant snow (6"+) fall here since 2010.

#12 ·
i have Cooper STTs and they are amazing in snow,sand,mud,rainy roads.they are less than toyos and they last just as long, i had Toyos b4 these and the Coopers seem to perform better as of now..im at 14K on they and tread is over 90% and i beat the crap out of them. they have a tough looking tread pattern too.

#13 ·
well i just put on a set of hankook mts on my 2010 . they seem to ride pretty good for a mt but u can diff tell there mudders road noise yep u can hear it with windows up and i have straight pipes and u can hear them over them . over all i give them about a 6 out of 10 wish i would of went with something diff but stuck with them now .

#15 ·
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm leaning back to the Hankook Dynapro MTs.
I had them before and they really are a GREAT tire. It's true that they're loud - especially after the first 5,000 miles, but I can deal with road noise... it's just a penalty that I've been willing to deal with since I started driving 25 years ago.

Honestly though, the main reason I'm going for the Hankooks is because no one has been able to persuade me to believe the Toyo OpenCountry MT is going to last as long.
I've read and read everything I can find on them, from Dodge and Ford forums, to off roading forums to just general chat about tires, and nothing I've read goes further than guys saying they like them... no "Killer tire, excellent grip and 30,000 miles!" came out of anyone's mouth.

Anyway, looks like I'll be going with the Hankook again. I already know they're a great tire. I thought I'd give something else a try. I tried Kumho and won't do that again, so I figured OpenCountry MT's can't be as bad, but I simply can't find an honest "they lasted me xx,xxx miles" anywhere.

Psychlone

#16 ·
i have the 315 65 18s Hankook Dynapro MTs on my fatory se and just love them they rub just a little but nothing a lift wont help but theres a little road noise but if your like me i always have music on and have pipes on it to so dont really bother me at all . now what i love is i used it the other day to pull out a jacked up full size dodge ram that was stuck to the frame and i jerked him out like a cake walk there one bad set of tires ill keep running them

#17 ·
I've had my Nitto terras for about 2 yrs. now. don't know the miles on them, but its at least 35k. i'm just starting to have problems with grip because i didn't rotate them like a idiot. but they still handled the 6" of snow we got recently with ease. of course that was in 4wd. but i did not slide, turned when i needed to and stayed on the road. I'm pretty hard on the truck so that's why i'm low on tread in the rear. but i've been nothing but happy with these tires. they lasted longer than i thought they would considering how lead foot i am. my fronts look new, gotta just replace my rears.

#18 ·
I love my Toyo MTs. Im on my 2nd set. First set got me 60K miles. Great in the snow/mud and pretty good for an MT on pavement.

#19 ·
I'm also on my second set of Toyo M/T's. I burned thru my first set in 25K miles because my dumb a** was too busy to get a new alignment after installing the winch and bumper ...expensive mistake, lesson learned. I've got about 22K on my second set and they still have more than 50% tread left. No problems in mud, not many problems in the recent ice/snow here. Just have to be easy on the skinny pedal!

#20 ·
Thanks guys -
I ended up getting the Hankook DynaPro MTs since they're already tried and true on this very truck.

But, I'm DEFINITELY giving the OpenCountry MT's a shot when these are gone. I talked in depth to the guys that were installing the Hankooks today, and they said they have 3 guys that have gotten over 50K out of them.

Anyway, thanks again for the help here.
I've posted a new thread in this same subforum looking for help on center caps for these new wheels.
If you guys have any input on that, please chime in!

Here's the thread in question: http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?p=787083#post787083

Thanks again!
Psychlone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.