IPDM - ECU relay problems, symptoms and solutions - Page 7 - Nissan Titan Forum

post #61 of 66 Old 10-04-2016, 09:38 AM
Kduffy
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question...My 06 Titan has been giving me issues for the last couple of months. What it does is when I try to accelerate it does like it's not getting gas (doesn't do it all the time)...kinda sputters and bucks. I have changed the mass air flow sensor, the gas cap, the O2 sensors. Still was actin up so I changed the spark plugs and I thought it was fixed...drove for 2500 miles and started up again. Wondering if it may be the fuel pump?? Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 10-04-2016, 09:58 AM
scr38
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
It does sound like the fuel pump. You could have the fuel pressure checked; it should be 51 PSI under all conditions.

2004 Armada SE, Throttle body coolant bypass, Grounding kit, LED back-up and inside lights, custom engine cover, trans cooler in radiator by-passed, trailer brake controller, Power Stop rotors and pads, braided SS brake lines, Silver Star headlights, Michelin MS/2, modified Volant CAI with Amsoil dry element, Bilstein HD shocks, PLM transmission pan, all Amsoil synthetic lubricants, Nismo headers, custom 3" SS exhaust system with high flow metallic core cats, UpRev tuner version, 318 rear wheel HP.
post #63 of 66 Old 10-08-2016, 05:47 PM
ejwith9953
Shift_lurker

I have a 2009 King cab made 07/09 (Swear it should be a 2010 model but title says 2009) and have been having all the classic signs of a failing IPDM over the past year except way different than any other IPDM issues I have read about. It started with a random stall here and there but would crank right back up. Sometimes it would be a few times over the course of a day and other times it would be a few times over the course of a month but with no pattern. After it did this for about 4 months we had our first no start. Went to the store in the afternoon, truck had been driven off and on most of the day with no issues. I was in the store about 5 minuets and when I came out truck would not start. So I packed my smokes and lit a smoke and in that minuet truck cranked up fine. We had no issues at all for about 3 months and figured it was probably nothing or the fact my brother in law in his infinite wisdom was alternating E85 and 89 obtain, why I will never under stand and his logic was baffling. Then about 2 months ago I had not gone anywhere yet that day and on the way to the store doing 45 and only 3/4 miles from the house it died on me. I put it in neutral, turned the key expecting it to crank up.......but nothing. So here I am doing 45 on a busy road at 4pm in the afternoon in rush hour traffic and just coasting, all 7400 lbs of my lifted titan with 40's and 12" lift. The only place I could turn off was at the Library which ofcourse has a very nice inclined entrance since it's parking lot is 4'5" higher than the road but I was lucky and no one was walking and I managed to pull in and park. After 2 hours in the burning Florida sun with nothing I finally managed to get my friend to bring his tow truck and tow me home. Right dead on the 3 hour mark truck cranked back up. At 8pm that night I had to go to Home Depot about 2.5 miles from home but she made it there with no problem. I was in the store until 830....I was in the parking lot until after 11 waiting on the truck to start. Next day I went to the dealer and got a new relay but as soon as I got home it did it again with the new relay. So me being both a certified mechanic and owning my own shop and also having a masters in electronics and owning my own computer and electronics repair shop I went ahead and pulled the IPDM for the purpose of disassembly and testing with what limited information is available and see if I could narrow down the issue and also clean all the contacts. After a few hours of work I reinstalled it and truck has run fine ever since until today. Had some running around to do prior to going to Orlando tonight and she ran fine, filled the tank since it was at almost a quarter tank and I don't ever run anything lower than that and then I went to the wash bay to clean the mud off her. Got done washing it and she cranked up fine, I went and parked where I could dry her off and clean the inside. After I got done, about 20 minuets later truck would not start. I swapped the relay, disconnected the battery but nothing. After 45 min truck started fine. I am about to head to Orlando and hope I make it there and back in one piece, if anyone has any advice before I go and buy a new IPDM on what else to check please let me know. I have already checked the fuel pump, injectors, coils and plugs are new, no engine light or codes and cats are good. Truck just hit 66k original miles. Thank you

post #64 of 66 Old 10-09-2016, 03:32 PM
scr38
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed

When you have this problem does the engine crank over but not start, or does it not crank over?

2004 Armada SE, Throttle body coolant bypass, Grounding kit, LED back-up and inside lights, custom engine cover, trans cooler in radiator by-passed, trailer brake controller, Power Stop rotors and pads, braided SS brake lines, Silver Star headlights, Michelin MS/2, modified Volant CAI with Amsoil dry element, Bilstein HD shocks, PLM transmission pan, all Amsoil synthetic lubricants, Nismo headers, custom 3" SS exhaust system with high flow metallic core cats, UpRev tuner version, 318 rear wheel HP.
post #65 of 66 Old 10-10-2016, 04:16 PM
ejwith9953
Shift_lurker

Engine turns over fine. Went to and from Orlando the other day with no issues and still no issues again. I ran some test on my ipdm and one from another 09 titan and found nothing odd or different between the two. I am so baffled by the problem at this point. Still, despite its many flaws such as only getting 8mpg and being under powered even though it is geared I still love the truck, just really considering trading it in soon for an XD diesel but I want to make sure this is fixed before I do, I don't want the next owner to be surprised at the very least or hurt or killed.
post #66 of 66 Old 10-11-2016, 09:35 AM
scr38
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed

This could be a problem with the Nissan security. Try another key fob. Remove anything attached to the fob, such as other keys, key chains, etc. Other items attached to the fob can interfere with the RF chip embedded in the Nissan key.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode