Nissan Titan Forum banner

Checking 4wheel drive

749 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  NBhunter80 
#1 ·
I'm loking at an 06 Titan crew cab 4x4 tomorrow with 91k miles. Any specific procederal recommendations for testing 4 wheel drive?

#2 ·
Take it up a snowy hill on your test drive. That's what I did when I bought my 04.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Check the front and rear axles for signs of fluid which indicate seal leaks. Front dif pinion seal leaks are common, and also check where the front axle meets the dif for any sign of fluid which may indicate that the front axle has pulled out of the dif. Check the rear axle and brake rotor dust shield for signs of fluid, and also the rear pinion seal. Make sure the rear axle vent isn't clogged (if the cap spins, it is not clogged). As far as testing your 4wd, you can check if it is working by going on a snowy road, dirt road, or even on some grass. Make sure you test both 4 high and 4 low, and ensure the transfer case shifts smoothly between the two. If the truck has the offroad package, test out the e-locker as well. Give it some gas in 4x4 to ensure it hooks up well, but also drive really slow with the windows down and listen for any popping, whining, or any abnormal sounds from the difs or transfer case. If there are any fluid leaks or whining, popping sounds from the axles, I would walk away from that truck. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.