Nissan Titan Forum banner

Adding trailer brake controller questions??

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  hernan28 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 2004 XE KC 4X2
I want to add a trailer brake controller to my truck.
I added the Nissan hitch and installed both relays under the hood. The instructions say to locate the sub harness under the drivers side of the dash. I've looked everywhere it says to kook but can't find it anywhere.
My dealer told that all the Titans were pre-wired for the brake controller harness but I sure don't see one on my truck.

Does anyone know if my dealer is crazy??

Thanks.

#3 ·
Hmm I'm not sure about the XE I have the XE and I don't think mine came with it. I have not added a hitch yet but plan to. I am interested in this as well. If we don't have it we are going to have to pay extra to get it. Any XE owners that have added a hitch let us know if you had the relay already. Maybe its something that comes with another package.
M4ck

G
#6 ·
The connector is taped to a wire harness to the left of the steering column. The easy way to get to it is to remove the plastic trim below the steering column. There are two phillip head screws at the bottom. Remove those and the panel will then snap off. You can then get to the connector. You probably should buy the brake controller "pigtail" from Nissan; that way it will plug into the connector and connect to your controller. The pigtail comes with instructions and the wires are identified for easy connection to your controller.

This shows the harness under the dash. The controller connector (M76) is in the red box.

Attachments

#7 ·
I've read where all Titans came pre-wired then I've also read where the XE's don't. If you can't find the harness from my pic, or the pic SCR38 put out then we'll have to get a current XE owner to tell us that's been through this. Sorry I can't be of more help.

#8 ·
Wish I could help.

Drive by the dealer and ask them for a favor. One look and a Nissan Tech should be able to show you.

At this point I'm banking on my XE having the hookup (Maybe Too Much Optimism). I will most likely add a brake controller soon.

Good Luck To Ya'!!!!

Chief

#9 ·
scr38 said:
This shows the harness under the dash. The controller connector (M76) is in the red box.
scr38,

I'm pretty certain that's the map for one of my favorite campgrounds!!!! :D

Chief

#12 ·
Boy, that does blow!! :(

The box where both the relays go is pre-wired.
I wonder if the wires stop at one of the underhood connecton points??
I'm going to look under the truck again but I think the wire for the trailer brakes is in the rear harness.
This is crazy!!!

Thanks for all the help.

#14 ·
That was one thing I ckecked at the showroom. The dealer was charging 395 extra dollars for a tow hitch. I about sh*#, then I found out they put ALL of the wiring in for trailering. Just the under the dash harness was $82. So I got lucky :eek: Mounting my pendulum brake controller is still got me stumped. I am a big guy and require alot of leg room, so I don't want to mount it to low. I will whack my leg on it, :oops: that is just my luck. :(

#15 ·
I just bought a '05 XE Crewcab and it has the tow wiring. I found the Elect. brake conn. next to the emergency brake under the dash. I just need the pigtail to the electric brake controller, the two tow relays and the pigtail for the trailer connection located under the rear bumper.

#16 ·
mdinkle said:
I just bought a '05 XE Crewcab and it has the tow wiring. I found the Elect. brake conn. next to the emergency brake under the dash. I just need the pigtail to the electric brake controller, the two tow relays and the pigtail for the trailer connection located under the rear bumper.
I think that the earlier build XE's did not have the brake wiring but I'm pretty sure that the later build 04 XE's did in fact have the harness under the dash. One of the guys over at TT found the harness farther up under the dash actually wrapped inside of one of the wire looms. I think it is there, just not easily accessable. But, I can't really say for sure cuz I have an SE. :)

#17 ·
I asked the dealer about the hitch kit a few months ago and they said it was 400 dollars.

I picked up the kit from the same dealer last week for 260.

Just got done installing it. The instructions say that all Titans are pre-wired (for what that's worth). All you need is the harness adaptor.

I found the connector right about where it should be. It's taped up pretty good to part of the harness. It looks like there are only 3 wires going to it. I'm gonna leave it alone until I get a controller. Right now I don't need one.

Chief

#18 ·
My XE came with a hitch on it, but I will have to check to see if it is already wired completely up or not. And hopefully it is already to tow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.