Nissan Titan Forum banner

Trailer lights not working anymore

15K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  baadz 
#1 ·
After 10 months of running fine, my trailer lights arent working anymore. I nice police officer told me and gave me a ticket.

Here's what I checked:

1. no 12v at connector
2. fuses in engine compartment, good.
3. fuse on passenger side, good.

Now what? Does that door harness recall have anything to do with this? I had that done right before my lights went out!

thanks and hello to you all (my first post):)

#2 ·
Need a little more info:
Which trailer lights are out - tail, brake /turn?
Do you have the factory tow package?
What year model truck do you have?
If you have an 04 or early 05 have you had the trailer wiring update done by your dealer?

#4 ·
If all lights are out and fuses are good then you have no ground to the trailer.

#7 · (Edited)
Exocet said:
Have you checked your relays? I thought that there was a relay for the trailer lights?
Yes, all three. I am going to check the ground now.

scr38 said:
If all lights are out and fuses are good then you have no ground to the trailer.
Ok, just checked....your right...no ground. Now what? Do I have to check the whole ground wire or should I make a new one????

#8 ·
You can make a new ground wire. Find a good spot on the frame, such as one of the bolts holding the hitch to the frame. Be sure you remove any paint to make a good connection.

#10 ·
Have your trailer tail lights worked before this? There is another relay that must be added to the 06-08s that did not have the tow package. There is a tail light relay under the dash, on the left side of the steering column. The small relay plugs into an exsisting socket in a wiring harness.

#11 ·
scr38 said:
Have your trailer tail lights worked before this? There is another relay that must be added to the 06-08s that did not have the tow package. There is a tail light relay under the dash, on the left side of the steering column. The small relay plugs into an exsisting socket in a wiring harness.
I am not sure. I will check if the relay is there. thanks.

#12 ·
Thanks for your help. Problem resolved this morning....

This morning scenario:

1. Checked for the relay under drivers side, it was there. Than I checked all the fuses again! I found an odd square 30A fuse that blew (second fuse box in engine compartment. Went to Nissan and they didnt have it. They called the other dealers, and nobody had it. Than I went to PEP BOYS and they had it for about $3 vs $18 from Nissan...what a rip off those dealers are.

2. Put the fuse in, still no running lights. Signal and Brake lights still work.(At this point I am wondering why I dont have the schematics in front of me.) This is bull****....troubleshooting without schematics.

3. Than I am wondering about the question I was asked here on this forum: Were the tail lights ever hooked up in the first place.....hmmmm??? I do use it in the day time only (watercraft) so I wasnt sure! Maybe he is on to something...

4.Than I decide to re-terminate the wires from 4 pin harness to 7 pin. (where it was spliced in originally), and here is where I found out that my tail lights were not hooked up correctly in the first place.

Conclusion:

Proper grounding (from harness to truck frame) fixed the signal and brake lights, and proper connection fixed the tail lights (red wire). I dont know why the 30A fuse blew, nor did I find the original ground wire problem, since I just made a new one to the frame.

Everything works, went to the local sheriff dept to have them verify, and get this.... He didnt even step outside to check if the lights really worked, just took my word for it! Wow....

thanks again for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.