Nissan Titan Forum banner

oil pressure sending unit gone out again?

28K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  04titanss 
#1 ·
It appears that my oil pressure sending unit has gone out again on my 04 Titan. The gauge starting reading high a few days ago when I cranked it up. I turned truck off and turned key to ACC and gauge still reads HIGH with truck not even running. I have rechecked it a few times in my garage after truck has been sitting overnight and you turn key to ACC, it goes straight to HIGH. I had this same thing happen back in May 2006 and was replaced at deaslership.

I have a few questions for those that know a lilttle more about this issue.

FIRST-where is this sending located at, so I can take a look at it myself and verify that something hasn't come loose. I did an oil change about 4 days before it the gauge started reading H all the sudden.

SECOND- if the unit is bad, Is it normal for the unit to be failing this often. This current unit has only been on 2 1/2 years and the original was only on about 2 years. Do they fail every 2 years?

THIRD- is this a part that once I locate, I can replace on my own? Do I just remove the old one and replace with new one or is there something I would need to do with resetting the computer with CONSULT unit or anything?

THanks to anyone that can be of assistance.

See less See more
#2 ·
It is not common for the sending unit to fail this often. Its possible that you disconnected the wire to the unit when you made the oil change. The sending unit is located by the filter, and you can change it without any special tools. See attachment.

Attachments

#3 ·
thanks scr38, I'll go out in a few minutes to check it out now that I know where to look. I'll post when I get done. Thanks again..

#4 ·
scr38,
the unit doesn't appear to be disconnected in any way. Once I saw where it was I realized that I was nowhere near it while removing my oil filter during my oil change. I checked it but what I'm not sure about is exactly how it connects/disconnects. How does the wire harness disconnect from the sensor or does it? I did not want to break anything so I didn't tug to hard on it while messing with it. I was not able to find a clip or anything to disconnect it and I couldn't get a wrench up in there to remove the sensor either, its a pretty tight fit. All I had was a crecent wrench b/c the biggest open end wrench I had was a 17 and I'm not sure what size it is but is def bigger than 17. Can you shed some more light on it.
It looks as it I will be having to replace again! I have the extended warranty on my truck but I have a 100.00 deductible and I figure the part should be cheaper than that and if I can get this one out, I'll replace it myself.

#5 ·
Here is how to test the gauge to see if it has went bad.

Hold down the Trip Reset button.
Turn the key to the run position, Do Not Start the engine.
After 8 seconds the odometer will read TEST, release the button.
Push the Trip button until you see GAUGE.
All of the gauges will go through a full sweep.
If the oil Pressure sweeps with the rest of the gauges, it is good, if it does not, it has gone bad.

Keep pushing the button to see other tests, like checking the insterment cluster lights, or just turn the key off, and start like normal.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the passing the info along. It is good info. I already performed the gauge test. Someone told me about it when the factory installed (original) sending unit went out about 2 years ago. I tried it then and again a few days ago. All the guages are working normally. The oil pressure gauge fell to low with the rest of the gauges when it reset and jumped back up past H when it went back to normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.