Nissan Titan Forum banner

Volant vs Stillen intake advise

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Mychael101 
#1 ·
Guys,

Looking at a Stillen intake. Not any out there to get opinions on???

Spoke with a Stillen rep from another forum. Gave the bellow comparison.

Inclined to go Volant. But the Stillen still looks good.

Please comment.

The Stillen air box is similar to the Volant. It is a fully-enclosed air box that only pulls air from the fender well. The two intakes differ in a couple of ways. With the Volant you get a full intake tube that replaces the factory intake tube. This is good and bad. It's good because it obviously allows for a larger volume of air. However, it's bad because it removes the air reservoir box that mounts behind the intake tube. Open your hood and look at the intake system. You will see the inlet tube has a little box mounted to the back with two tubes plumbed into it. This little box does two things. First and foremost, it is an emissions part that should not be replaced. But, most importantly for performance, it is a basically an air reservoir. That little box holds extra air. When you start from a dead stop or quickly accelerate with a K&N, Volant, AEM, or any other intake, All of the air inside the intake quickly gets sucked into the engine. This will allow for a great initial response for about 2 seconds but will make the engine struggle as it tries to suck in more air. With the reservoir box still attached you have a secondary supply of air so as the intake tube is emptied, it becomes replenished with air from the box while more air is coming in from behind. Therefore, eliminating any delay or suffocation.

:schwert-big:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
"But, most importantly for performance, it is a basically an air reservoir. That little box holds extra air. When you start from a dead stop or quickly accelerate with a K&N, Volant, AEM, or any other intake, All of the air inside the intake quickly gets sucked into the engine. This will allow for a great initial response for about 2 seconds but will make the engine struggle as it tries to suck in more air. With the reservoir box still attached you have a secondary supply of air so as the intake tube is emptied, it becomes replenished with air from the box while more air is coming in from behind. Therefore, eliminating any delay or suffocation."
-------------------------------------------------------

I think this is BS.
That "box" is much too small to be any type of "reservoir".

#3 · (Edited)
I fail to see how a small(~1 liter) volume in the heimholtz resonator could be responsible for providing a 5.6L spinning several thousand rpm's any significant degree of airflow to replace the apparent 'vacume of space' in the intake tube after 2 seconds of larger throttle articulation.

I'd say, that particular Stillen employee was ill informed.

I do like the design of the Stillen unit, I just dont think what you were told is 100% true.

Damn, you beat me to it.....................

#4 ·
That little box is around .0208 cubic feet in volume. When you nail the throttle the RPM goes to 3,000 RPM + in an instant. At that speed tha engine is drawing in air at a rate of about 200 CFM. If you drew ALL the air from that box, all the way down to a complete vacumn, it would take .0062 seconds.

#5 ·
scr38 said:
"But, most importantly for performance, it is a basically an air reservoir. That little box holds extra air. When you start from a dead stop or quickly accelerate with a K&N, Volant, AEM, or any other intake, All of the air inside the intake quickly gets sucked into the engine. This will allow for a great initial response for about 2 seconds but will make the engine struggle as it tries to suck in more air. With the reservoir box still attached you have a secondary supply of air so as the intake tube is emptied, it becomes replenished with air from the box while more air is coming in from behind. Therefore, eliminating any delay or suffocation."
-------------------------------------------------------

I think this is BS.
That "box" is much too small to be any type of "reservoir".
I was gonna call it too.
Where is the little BS flag?

#7 ·
skeet said:
Is the closed box suppose to be better than the open one and if so why?Seems to me with a open box it could get all the air it wanted.Im lost.
Well, the point of a COLD AIR intake is that it gets COLD AIR.
If its a closed box getting air from the fender, it should perform better from the cooler air. In Theory. And if you want more air than that then you can get the ram air attachment I suppose.
The opening in the fender is sufficient for the amount of air the 5.6 needs I think.

But that statement of the little tiny box giving it 2 seconds of air is a bunch of bull. Gotta be smokin pot to dream that one up.
"You see man, its like a whole different world in there. It holds the life saving breath that the engine needs to perform. Its a reservior of extra air......yeah man..."
Like its compressed or something.. LOL

#8 · (Edited)
Actually, I'm the "ill informed" rep from Stillen that gave that reply. All of the information I provided is factual data that we gathered during hours of dyno time. We tried developing an intake like the heat-shield systems...It's cheaper and easier, we also tried developing a full-length inlet pipe that ran from the box into the throttle body, but we had issues with resonation (the same thing alot of people have said about the Volant) and we also found that the little box in the back helped quite a bit based off of the performance data we gathered. We feel that the system we developed is a great system and gives really good gains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.