Nissan Titan Forum banner

Stillen Intake????

3K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  kornegle 
#1 ·
Hey Guys I Was Wondering If Any Of Yall Have The Stillen Intake And Do Yall Like It ?

#3 ·
I have the stillen and its one of the best intakes I have tried! And I have had them all!!!

#4 ·
I have an 08 2wd, SE,BT, KC with a MF16780 catback and Stillen CAI. The intake appears to work fine but I have never owned another brand for comparison. I installed it around 6000 miles and have about 15,000 miles now. I have only floored the truck once or twice in those 9000 miles with the CAI since after reading all these forums I am extremely concerned about the reliability of the "T" if you get on it often.

#5 ·
Are you serious? Why would you buy a truck if you were worried about it breaking because you gave it full throttle? That is absolutely ridiculous. Sure the older rears were notorious for failing but they corrected the issue on 08 and newer. I have 30K miles and get on it all the time with no problems and don't anticipate any.

I love my Stillen CAI!!! Made a huge difference. I got the Superchips Cortex first and thought that was incredible but once I added the CAI the truck is just sick.

#6 ·
I like the Stillen intake. It was the first mod I installed, and the sound over stock when you get on it is real nice. It also gives a definite performance gain.

Hey kornegle, what posts are you referring to about Titans being unreliable if you get on it?

#7 ·
Please don't get me wrong. Perhaps I have been extremely lucky with my last 4 vehicles? If I would have read all the posts in the 3 major Titan forums before I purchased the truck I would not have bought it. I traded in an 11 year old F150 that never had one thing replaced. Original brakes, plugs, (had an aftermarket exhaust, cai, and Superchips) etc. 1 oxygen sensor under warranty at 6000 miles. I did not drive it hard but had no reservations about getting on it. The members on the 3 forums I visit are great and have offered advice and help and I'm impressed with their unity and support of the TITAN. I have never had any vehicle quit in the last 35 years but had the T towed to the dealer twice in the first 1200 miles (IPDM failure). It has finally been repaired and been relatively trouble free for the last 14,000 miles. I expect the radiator cap to leak, the radiator to fail, the rear diff to fail, the rear axle seals to leak, the fuel gauge sender is already doing wierd stuff, the transmission lines to leak, and possible transmission problems. The AC evaporator ices over and quits blowing air occasionally but only if I drive a couple hours on very hot days. I clear all the 0422 EVAP leak codes myself because the dealer cannot "replicate" the problem. There is too high a rate of cracked manifolds and catalytic converter failures that have caused engine failures. I won't go one because I will be labelled a "troll".
I like the truck and want to keep it. I purchased it because of a 50% off sticker on the window at the dealer and it was new. I could not have gottent that type of deal anywhere else. It tows my 24 ft enclosed race car trailer well (slightly better than the Ford) and if you drive it very gently the mileage is acceptable and as good as the better values reported by most members.
Shailey over on MT has mentioned the rad failures occurring after a few seconds of WOT acceleration (happened to him several times and Nissan is investigating a momentary pressure build up). I honestly have never read Ford or GM forums because I never had any issues with those two trucks or my last 5.0 Mustang that was heavily modded and made at least 250 1/8th mile drag passes with slicks on it and never suffered any parts breakage or problems. From these forums I have read of many problems that are reported on Ford and GM forums but they sell almost 40 times more trucks than Nissan so I would expect more problems reported. I am afraid to purchase a BD or Cortex because I am concerned raising the line pressure of the tranny will result in solenoid or transmission failure. I have changed the rear diff fluid at 1000 miles, 10,000 miles and will do it again at 20,000 miles all because I am concerned about failures. I have already replaced the tranny fluid for the same reasons, but like most of you I do like the truck and unless it gives me a lot of grief I plan to keep it for at least 100,000 miles like most of my vehicles. I am quite content to give up "getting on it" in return for added reliability and better mpg and I am not complaining about the vehicle even though it may sound like it. I am only trying to do everything I know how to maintain its reliability and enjoy the Titan for many years. The truck does not feel quick so I really get no special joy from "hitting it" anyway. My old 5.0 ran 8.20's in the 1/8th and I never got on it because it felt slow. Hell, my tube chassis drag car runs the 1/8th in 5.50 seconds and that feels slow so the T's acceleration won't impress me anymore than any other street vehicle I have owned. I am impressed by the people on all the Titan forums and their willingness to chip in and help other members. That is a big plus to me in Titan ownership.
Best Regards,

Glenn

#8 ·
Sorry to hear about your troubles Glenn.

I honestly think you are a troll. I have had zero problems with my truck as most people have had zero problems. It's a shame that people are much more likely to complain about a product when something goes wrong than praise a product when everything is great. It's just human nature. I don't think you have to worry about the tranny unless you boost the engine. I also don't think you'll have problems with the rear since the 08's have been upgraded. Also I don't know of any people that have had cats fail and ruin the engine unless it's been boosted.

Basically you have to pay to play. Anytime you add excessive power to a vehicle that wasn't built for it you will find the weak spots. Under normal conditions with bolt ons you aren't going to blow the tranny or the rear. Basically you're taking all the known problems and weak points on our trucks and assuming you'll have them because you had a problem with your IPDM.
Honestly I think you're a DOOSH and a TROLL. Until your truck actually has the failures you think it's going to have maybe you should not talk about them, especially considering you don't even know WTF you are talking about. In fact you should sell your truck to someone that would appreciate it and not be afraid of problems that only happen on older or heavily modified trucks.

STFU and GTFO TROLL!

#11 ·
You are certainly entitled to your viewpoints. I did say I am NOTcomplaining about the truck (just concerned about its future reliability and trying to do all the maintenance I can and modify my driving habits to try and prevent possible future failures) and barring any major problems, I intend to keep it 100,000 miles like most of my previous vehicles.
If you are interested you can type in cat failures and do a search on all 3 Titan forums. I believe you will find more than several cases of cat failures taking out an engine. You can also do a search on the rear ends and I totally agree the 08 appears improved but there have already been failures with some of them reported on these forums. The record of pre 08 diffs needs no comments. Likewise with the radiators, transmissions, but many of the failed transmissions occurred due to the clamps or the cooling hoses themselves leaking. So mine already has new gear clamps before it was a year old. I totally realize that most Titans do not have all of these problems or even any of them. On the other hand if you look at the number of members on these sites and divide by the reported problems the frequency of defects appears too high from my viewpoint. That doesn't mean I think the T is a bad truck, it obviously has sufficient good points that most members gladly overlook the smaller problems because the overall ownership experience is still positive. I am part of that group as well (at least so far) and only trying to prevent any future occurences so I can remain part of that group. I do the same thing with the drag car. If the camshaft has .750" lift I would not install a valve spring rated for .770" lift with 0.050" coil bind clearance because I am concerned it might fail and if it does it will take out a lot of parts. So even though it has not broke yet, I would install a much more expensive H-11 tool steel spring of larger diameter rated for at least 0.850" to 0.900" lift (provided the installed height had sufficient seat pressure and the over the nose pressure was not excessive) to try and prevent the failure by using a spring that will be less stressed. So if me taking similar precautions with the T, is a definition of a troll from your viewpoint I hope most of the helpful members I have dealt with on this website wouldn't agree but perhaps they would?

Best Regards,
kornegle

#10 ·
I have the stillen intake with the Airraid throttle body spacer. It made such a huge difference. Made the exhaust louder... I love it.

#17 ·
x2, I can barely make it through a day without openin her up!!:feuerkopf2-big:

#21 ·
Like Adam said, every vehicle out there has issues, even the ones with much less issues then others there's always someone who got a lemon and is going to think they are the biggest pile of crap on the market. But I've owned and worked on alot of trucks and the Titan is by far the best i've had. Alot of people have issues with them, keep in mind though they are still new. you think back when the Ford and Chevy first started building trucks they were all perfect?

#24 ·
They replaced mine(the control unit) cause my heat stopped working in the winter. The day I took it in it was working fine again but I brought up the fact about the TSB and they said yup there is one and we'll take care of it for you. Easy as pie. Some dealers are just nicer than others and that's a proven fact. My fuel gauge is slow to respond too but I never really considered it a problem as I've seen many cars do the same thing. Knowing there is a TSB for it I may have it changed but I honestly don't like to have any unnecessary work done on my vehicle with the fear that a tech may screw something different up. I also have an extended warranty (Gold Preferred I believe) so I'm really in no rush. Something else you may want to look into purchasing if you truly do enjoy the truck and are worried that something may break further down the line.

Sorry if I was harsh on you earlier but it really seemed that you were a Troll posting devious and mis-leading things about our truck.

#26 ·
Sorry about your problems, but the Titan has proven to be a good truck with few weak points. What you speak of is very rare.

If I were you and really felt like explaining the rare problems you've experienced, I would create a new thread in the proper area, instead of posting here in a thread about the Stillen intake in the performance mods section, and over at MT in a thread about racing a CRX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.