Nissan Titan Forum banner

Brake Performance

6K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Chief 
#1 ·
In June of 2010 I purchased the slotted and dimpled rotors from brakeperformance.com, front and rears. I also bought the upgraded premium semi metallic pads. It cost 450.00.

July 2012 I had 13,300 miles on them. The front rotors were warped. I called brake performance and they suggested either getiing the rotors turned or sending them in for a new set. I chose a new set. I took the rotors off and shipped them in (50 bucks shipping). BTW the pads themselves were still in great shape.

In a week I had my new rotors and they work well.

Brake Performance stands behind their products' lifetime guarantee and they offer professional courteous service.

Can't remember who I spoke to, but just wanted to say 'Thank You' :)

Chief

#2 ·
Sorry to poop in your pudding but when I bought from Frozen Rotors and had a problem with my rotors they sent a new set out without requiring the old ones back. Mine weren't warped but they were grinding like crazy. Like you, new rotors with the old pads fixed the problem. Granted I probably paid more for my rotors.

Anyhow, how much better is the stopping over OEM?

#4 ·
No Problem Bro. I asked them to send me a new set before I took the old ones back, I offered to pay up front and take a refund when they got my cores so the entire job could be done in one day, but they weren't able to do that for me. So my truck was down for a week.

I couldn't notice any difference in performance. They performed as well as the OEM's and that was good enough for me. Nissan put new rotors on at my 30,000 mile service without my asking. I didn't get any judder out of them until they had 52,000 miles. So in my experience the factory rotors lasted lasted 22,000 miles.

#6 ·
I wonder, anyone ever install the cryo-rotors? They freeze them down to -300 degrees.

#8 ·
so which brand of rotors would everyone pick ? i was just planning on getting a new set for my 2010 and was thinking of putting slotted rotors and new pads on . now i tow my boat and during the hunting season my 4wheelers always getting hauled so what would be my best bet ??

#9 ·
I have the full set of front and rear dimpled and slotted rotors from brakeperformance and I managed to warp them within 2 weeks. They offered me the same deal of ship them in and they would replace them but I can't be without my truck for a week or more. They are willing to honor their warranty just not willing to make it easy at all. I have been dealing with major brake kidder from mine ever since. Prob a year and a half now. I think I am going to buy a set of frozen rotors as I have only heard good things about them then send these others I have in to be replaced and sell the damn things. I don't want to have to do a brake job 2 more times, once to put oem junk back on then put the new rotors I get under warranty back on once they get back to me. They have a good warranty it's just a royal pita to deal with if you can't be without your truck for a week or more.
I will just sell my new warrantied rotors on eBay as I wouldn't recommend them to anyone on the boards due to the them warping just as easy if not easier than the oem ones.
I also paid the extra $ for the "premium ceramic pads" when I originally purchased them. When I called about the warranty, brakeperformance.com told me that the warping of their rotors on Nissan titans was pretty common and they recommend using their semi-metallic pads to reduce heat. My issue with this is part of the reason ceramic pads are usually so good is that ceramic dissipates heat better than a semi-metallic pad. Maybe I am wrong about this but it seems that if the tiles on the space shuttle that are designed to dissipate heat when it passes through the atmosphere are made from a composite ceramic material that it must dissipate heat better than any other options that NASA could come up with.
I will end my rant now and sorry if I thread jacked a little bit bit I get a little pissy every time I think about the brakes situation.

#10 ·
I got about 44k on the factory fronts and replaced them with slotted/dimpled rotors. They performed the same as OEM as far as I could tell. They lasted until about 80k I started noticing some chatter. Ran them up to 89k and just changed them out yesterday with cheapies from Autozone. They have a 2 year warranty we'll give it a try. I know all titans seem to wear the inside pad twice as much as the outside but what I noticed when removing the dimpled rotors, all of he slots and dimples were clean and open on the outside of the rotors but were caked full of hardened brake dust on the inside. They also had significant grooving on the inside where the outside looked pretty good. Thought about turning them but figured the clogged slots would create a problem. I'm just going to assume every 40k or so I'm throwing on a set of brakes. I can't seem to pull the trigger on frozens - for the price I'm worried I won't get any more life than any of the others

#11 ·
I can't seem to pull the trigger on frozens - for the price I'm worried I won't get any more life than any of the others
The selling points of the frozen rotors is that they last longer and don't warp. Do they provide any better braking performance? My experience was that it was better than OEM but maybe not quite as good as I was hoping for. The customer service for Frozen Rotors was first rate. I had an issue and they shipped out a new set of rotors AND pads without asking for the old set back.

#12 ·
I wouldn't recommend brake performance.

I got more than twice the mileage out of OEM.

For what they charge, having my truck down for a week after 12,000 miles, plus shipping, is not really a 'Lifetime Warranty'. Technically it is, but for the money not worth it. I got the premium semi metallic pads to go with them.

My thinking was that since the ceramics lasted longer, they would generate more heat. When I asked one of their reps which pad would go easier on the rotors, I was told the semi metallics.

Not sure which would dissipate heat better, just what they said.

#13 ·
They just have cheap rotors. I can't have my truck down for a week or more, i live in ga and they are in ca, waiting on the warranty. I will at some point bite the bullet and buy a full set of frozen rotors and be done with it. I will at that point send my performancebrakes.com rotors back for a new set but I will just turn around and sell them for cheap or maybe keep them as back up rotors.

I'm far from happy with their product.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#14 ·
Bringing up an old post, but yesterday I went to return my back worn out rotors from brake performance. The ones with a lifetime warranty. Couldn't get the Web page to load. Hmmm.
???

#15 ·
I have Frozen slotted front rotors and Hawk pads. No fade, no warp, no complaints. I've got probably 30-40k miles on this setup and haul a 2,000 lbs+ camper in the summer. Had to replace the warped factory front rotors.

#16 ·
I pull 9K fully loaded. Your un-sprung weight has a huge effect on stopping (centrifugal force magnifies the lbs.), no matter what you install. The devil is in the details....pads and rotors are a system and need to be application matched. Ceramic pads don't like heat and have been accused of grooving rotors. Their design was to eliminate three issues with passenger cars....dust, noise and life expectancy. Big rig systems are stopping 80,000 pounds...they use fully syntered metallic or semi-metallic pad based systems without holes and slots in rotors and drums in the trailers. Several of my friends own companies with stables of trucks used in construction. No ceramics or fancy rotors there either.

I have EBC Yellow pads. They are stickier for towing than the green. Hawke are good too. I used them in racing applications. I also changed out to EBC RK rotors for my Titan...they are NOT slotted or drilled. I don't know anything about Frozen, so can't compare. We learned twenty plus some years ago racing Corvettes to stay away from drilled and slotted rotors....they will stress crack when hot enough right between the holes. I don't personally know anyone in SCCA that uses them any longer. Towing stops and hills can also make them hot enough to crack. I use Crown stainless brake lines....all six. Don't forget your two rear flex drop lines from the bed to the axle.

Here's some user experience from outside this forum on types of pads and rotors for trucks: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/ceramic-or-semi-mettalic-pads-for-towing.35469/

#17 ·
Good info. What I ordered and recieved was the premium semi metallic. Basically for the same reasons you stated.

And I wouldn't go with anything other than solid rotors. Experience.

As far as Brake Performance, I'm pretty ticked off. More out of principle. If I got a new set of rotors, I'd be happy.

Seems like someone laughed all the way to the bank on this one. Like my neighbor says, and I like this one, You win some, You lose some.

#18 ·
Another note, the Web site had rotors for early 04s, and post July manufactured 04s. Nissan did put an improved style rotor, I believe it started in 05. But Nissan was replacing the first style rotors with the updated ones voluntarily in the early years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.