Nissan Titan Forum banner

HID reverse lights mod

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Kronos1965 
#1 ·
(No I didn't do it, but can someone do it, please?)

So thinking about it years ago (finally did a thread on it), I came up with this idea, and when I say I came up with it, I didn't know it anything about it, So I'm sure others have thought about it, and done it before "I came up" with this idea..

HID lights in your reverse lights. I don't recall anyone doing it..or have they?

A quick search on google shows promising results.

See less See more
#2 ·
How much driving in reverse do you do actually? To spend $$$ on a xenon system for reverse lights seems a bit much to me. I have some high grade LED's in mine and they are more than visible enough for me. I notice the cars have Cali tags.......seems par for the course. They will rice or asian up anything.

#4 ·
All HID systems run off a balast. The 12V is transformed to the high volts necessary. It's just the idea of it that gets me.

#5 ·
Well I read on another forum, an issue that was brought up was everytime you go from Park to Drive. But I've noticed on some cars, yeah right when you hit R, even for a split second, the reverse lights come on. But in other cars, you hit the R and there is a longer delay, so if you just normally go from P to D, as you pass over R it doesn't engage the reverse lights... Do the Titans do this? I'll have to check later today.

It'd be nice for me..as I have 15% tint on the front windows so it's hard to back up in dark spaces at night.

#6 ·
If this is strictly for functional reasons then I can see wanting this mod. Due to the topper I have on my Titan if it's even a little bit dark (even in parking garages during the day) I can't see jack behind me using the rear view mirror.

Switching to LED's would probably be easier and less expensive. Modfreak, do you have a part number and location for the bulbs you got?

#8 ·
#7 ·
Xenon/HID systems DO NOT like cycling of the system. i.e. turning on/off quickly. Thats why they really arent good for high beams or fogs in reality. Thats why i asked how much driving you do in reverse. :)

Yes the titans do it. I have a backup camera installed and it is operated from the switching of the 12v source in reverse mode. Every time i put it in drive the camera activates for a split second.

The life span of HID reverse system wouldnt last as long as a filament bulb due to cycling. If you do it.....i wouldnt buy a high end kit.

#9 ·
I would think a reverse supplemental light system would be a better choice. Something like PIAA makes.

#11 ·
yea i know they use a ballast, i sell them everyday, and what i mean by voltage was, if a ballast does not get enough voltage to " start up " it will either flicker and go off, or stay on for a sec then go off, etc... the HID use less voltage than a reg bulb, BUT, it takes more to i guess you could say " start up" so if you listen to a ballast when you first turn your lights on you will hear it buzzing for approx 8 seconds. SO in that innital 8 or so seconds they are pulling more volts to get started then after the 8 seconds it drops down to very little ( when the buzzing stops ), so i just said i didnt think it would get the voltage from the reverse lights, but i may be wrong because IDK. just a guess. and like modfreak was saying, the cycling issue would not be great for it either, and i totally agree just put some " small descrete fog lights or somthing" , my friend has the little thing that slides over the receiver hitch, with two foglights built in and he said it is super bright! so go with that or some LEDs in your reverse lights, heck my LED fire and ice bar on the back helps out a tad bit lol, and the LEDs will look really good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.