Nissan Titan Forum banner

ECU Relay Source - The TitanBlue $7 Solution

39K views 59 replies 26 participants last post by  Steve Plettenberg 
#1 ·
UPDATE MARCH 2010: Hold Off, still an error on this Relay p/N. The one detailed here is a 5 Pin, not a 4 Pin as we need!

We need a CM1a-D-12V, not a CM1-D-12V. The "a" denotes a 4 Pin SPST Relay

Correct Link: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=CM1a-D-12V

Here is a link where you can buy the correct Relay for the ECU on your Original Version IPDM. This Relay has the Internal Diode, which is makes it different from the others on the IPDM (i.e. Fog Light Relay). Part number has been extensively researched and confirmed. This is the exact same item that Nissan uses.

This may save you from buying an expensive IPDM module. Consider buying this ahead of time, to keep as a spare in the glove box. I'll be buying myself 2 or 3, just too inexpensive not to. Relay is less than $4! Cost Shipped is roughly $7 via USPS. This Relay fits the original design IPDM. May be back ordered sometimes, be patient.

:thumbsup-big:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=cm1-d-12v

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for getting the correct part # posted. This will save a lot of members money.

#3 ·
Thanks again SCr38 and TB! The research the both of you did is a hugh help to all. Just to confirm, I ordered a couple to have around as spares for myself and any of the local guys.

Digi-Key left me a message that they're on back order with a restocking date of March 7th...

#4 ·
Thanks for the investigative work guys. Great job. I just placed my order for two relays. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them, especially at this price.

#5 ·
I just received the other (fog light) relay today. It only took two days.

#6 ·
A HUGE thanks from me to TitanBlue for the research done for this. I just ordered mine and it will sit in the glove box just in case.

#8 ·
Outstanding work - - Thanks! I've ordered 2 for my glove box - - cheapest insurance I've ever bought! :- )

#10 ·
There have been many reports of the IPDM failing causing the Titan to either not run at all, or go into limp mode. People have been either replacing or buying IPDMs as backups at a cost of $125.00 up when they could get them. It is the ECU module in the IPDM that is going bad causing the problems, but up until recently you could not get just the ECU module.

#12 ·
Sweet find and aweso:thumbsup-big:me research! Buying a few myself one for me and one for my brothers.

#16 ·
I've heard of just one or two failures on the new design IPDM, which began being used sometime in the 2008 or 2008.5 model year. Seems like they fixed it. There are many choices to be made by an Engineer to deal with indiosynchrocies (sp?). There is not a clear date when they updated the design.

I do not know if the new IPDM uses the same Relay. I need a good MACRO pic of it to determine. Don't worry for now. I hope to have updated info in a few weeks on what the new IPDM uses.

#17 ·
Guys, my deepest apologies for any mistake here! Apparently I lost the "a" for a 4 Pin, while finding the "D" for Diode. Read on...

My notes do show the correct part number ACM33211 translating to the CM1a-D-12V and sold at Digi-Key. But only in qty of 50 when I first discovered it back in Dec 2009. Fast forward a couple months and this issue of relays came up online. I don't know how I apparently dropped the "a" from the P/N, to get to the wrong one at Digi-Key, Pin Out wise. I think upon discovering the Diode was a feature we needed, I looked for that in the P/N and overlooked the "a" portion of the number and did not realize it. I did not publish anything in Dec 2009 due to lack of availablitiy, but did order myself 6 relays from Allied Electronics, which I knew lacked the diode, since no "D". I got them just to compare the Pin Out, and they matched with 4 Pins. So, I figured (correctly) I had just bought 6 non ECU relays and would keep them for spares. Couldn't get anything else at the time. Still appears to be correct for the non ECU Relay, right size and pins, no "D" for Diode...........

Right now, I am holding in my hand, that bag of 6 Relays I ordered from Allied Electronics. The bag is labeled:

Qty: 6
Allied Stk#: 788-0430

Product Description: Relay;E-Mech;Automotive;SPST-NO;Cur-Rtg 20/35A (NO/NC);Ctrl-V 12 VDC;Plug-In
Manufacturer Part#: CM1A-12V
Manufacturer Name: PANASONIC ELECTRIC WORKS

The Relay is itself is labeled:

NAiS
JAPAN
CM1a-12V
ACM33201

Now, I am holding the ECU Relay I based my findings on, it is labeled:

NAiS
5 0810
JAPAN
ACM33211

Notice the ACM33201 vs ACM33211? The ACM33201 is the number found on all the non ECU relays on my IPDM (which is a new style original on my 2006) and on others I have seen. It was my belief, and still is that the ones I got are not Diode Protected. There are the right form factor, since the have the "a". The ACM33211 translated to a CM1a-D-12V as we need for the ECU.

So, in agreement with what was posted earlier today, and what I had seen a long time ago, it is a CM1a-D-12V that we need. (Not a CM1-D-12V). Availability is still an issue.

#18 ·
you gotta be kidden me!!!! LOL, now I got 2 wrong pieces!!! Screw it, I give up, I guess I am just not supposed to have a spare!

#19 ·
Crud. They shipped mine just yesterday. At least it was cheap and it sounds like the one coming already could be used in case one of the other non-ecu ones fail.

#20 ·
It will have a 5th pin, which would need to be removed somehow. Then, it would work.

They put an "a" for SPST, but don't put a "c" for SPDT, so I did not think it was a "c" configuration! I inadvertently and unknowingly assumed something.

The correct ones, are still not available in small qty.

Now to go finish my humble pie. :(

#21 ·
Dude, it's not a problem. Like I said, it was cheap. I lose more money playing cards with the guys.

So what's the chance that someone is willing to buy a 50 quantity package and then parcel it out to members?

#23 ·
I agree, I think it was 5 or 6 bucks for each of them, really not a big deal. When I smoked it was 2 packs of cigs! I'll be whatching to see if there is a buy for the correct ones.

#22 ·
#24 ·
#26 ·
Well, my two relays arrived today. I opened the box and left them on my dining room table before I left home. I didn't think much about them until reading this thread to find out the parts are not of much use.

Oh well, not a big deal as I throw that much money away buying lottery tickets and have nothing to show for it. I'll have to figure some otherway to obtain replacements.

One option is for somebody to buy a bunch of relays and pick up a quantity of free flat rate envelopes from the post office. Then anyone who has an interest in buying one or more can send the person a printed priority mail address label and include a $4.90 cent priority mail flat rate envelope stamp and you can mail anything that fits in the flat rate envelope as long as it doesn't weigh over 70 lbs.

Check out the flat-rate option here: http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm

#27 ·
> Titan Blue says : [The non-A relay] will have a 5th pin, which would need to be removed somehow. Then, it would work.

Are you sure of this? Then this would be the way to go because it is available in single units immediately. (Received mine today.)
The offending middle pin comes off in two seconds with a needle-nose plier and a little wrist action.

#28 ·
Yes, I'm pretty sure of this, because the Pin Out is a fixed std. The NO and NC Pins are always the same location. That is all this 5th Pin is, a NC Pin. I just would not recommend purchasing a Relay in order to do this. If you already have one and '"need to", then give it a shot. But it isn't a recommended practice.

Oh,, and I have seen some guys wanting to buy a Relay or IPDM and replace ahead of time. I would buy a spare Relay, but wait until indication of a failure before replacing. Especially just a Relay, it goes in in seconds. The IPDM is more difficult, and I wouldn't want to do it a 2 AM on a rainy night! So, that may be good to do ahead of time. I just did one for a member at our last Mod Meet.

Since http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/PANASONIC-EW-AROMAT/CM1A-D-12V/ has them with only a $35 Minimum, I am going to place an order there tonight. I can't justify buying 50 of these things for $141. I have no desire to sell these things online, but may sell a few at just an even dollar amount, once I figure my cost with shipping and packaging. I'd hope to be able to ship a single Relay for around $7 PayPal'd and USPS. Envelopes is something I need to look into. Simple padded from Office Depot should work OK.

I will post up when I receive these, and then we will know for certain, that we have the right thing.

UPDATE: I have placed the order for a qty of 25 IPDM ECU Relays, Type CM1a-D-12V. There are back ordered 8 weeks from today. I expect to get an update around May 4th, 2010 and hope to receive the Relays shortly thereafter. I will share info on what comes in at that time.

If I can cover my cost to ship these out, for $7 or less, I will do so. Thus fulfilling my intention of realizing a $7 Solution! Thank you for your patience. :)

#29 ·
Put me on your list for buying one from you. As long as it stays under $10 I'm still in.

#30 ·
I gotcha!

And bestatchess has already clipped a Relay and tested it OK on a meter. it can be done!

#32 ·
Hello Folks,
Brand new here but I've been lurking around for several days now. Mainly on this thread. I don't even own a Titan, I own an Xterra, but it has the same IPDM and the same problems. I've literally just spent 5 hours in front of the computer researching the issue of finding this relay. Here are my findings:

There are actually several manufacturers who make a relay with the same specs that will work. This info is based on careful perusal of datsheets for each part number and cross referencing the original part number.

Here's manufacturers and part numbers that I found to be compatible:

Panasonic EW/Aromat/NAIS Part#: cm1a-d-12v
American Zettler Part#: AZ977-1A-12D-D
Greenwich Electronics, Inc. Part#: ar4-012-a21s

This site: http://www.tonar.com/part/AR4012A21S/340907/ZETTLERUSA/

has the Greenwich part number available as being from Zettler (mistake?) as the mfr but says they have 1700 available with min order of 1. But you can't order online. Am going to call tomorrow and will post my findings. Also going to call Digikey and plead my case and see if I can order just one from them if the other doesn't pan out.

BTW this is one doc that helped me determine that the Greenwich and Panasonic are the same part:

http://www.geirelays.com/acrobat/crossref.pdf

There may be other mfrs who make a compatible relay. I found a few that did not offer the diode protection. That particular feature makes this little bugger a p.i.t.a. to find.

Anyway...sorry to just butt in but I thought y'all might find this info useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.