Nissan Titan Forum banner

General Grabber / Tire Rack site;

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  NorCal 4x4 
#1 ·
Drove the OEM Goodyears 35,000 (pretty good). Drove Yokohamas 40,000 (very good). So far ,I have 15,000 on General Grabbers; now that it is raining again in east TX , I can say the GG are the worst wet traction steel radials I have ever had ( since the my first radials (Michelin) in about 1975.)
I got the Generals because the testimonials on the Tire Rack site said they were the best tire in that size ( 275 70 R18 highway). I can only conclude the "testimonials" are phony.
And the Generals are "undersize" ; they are exactly the same OD as the original Goodyear 265 65 R18.

#2 ·
Get them sipped!

My aftermarket BFG A/T KO LT285/70R17-D were the same way in the rain, but only after they reached about 30K miles of tread wear. The previous season they were fine. Even with 300 lbs. of sand bags in the bed, the rear would try to get sideways even when slowly turning after a stop sign. It was really bad when trying to turn left onto a busy road, where some acceleration was needed.

So, even though they had probably 10K miles of good, (dry season), tread remaining, I replaced them with my M/T's. But I paid an extra $15/tire and had them sipped. The M/T's are now worn out, but in the last rain we had a few months back, they gripped the road great on the curves. I can't say for sure it was the sipping because I never drove a M/T without sipes, but from the looks of the tread pattern and how worn they were, I'll always pay the few dollars extra for it.

Sipping can be done to used tires as long as there isn't too much tread used up, so your Grabbers may still be candidates. I think tire shops charge a little more for used ones, especially if you bought them somewhere else ... $20-$25 each, but worth a shot. If you read about sipping at the link, there are advantages for dry roads too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.