Nissan Titan Forum banner

Newbie here, need some experienced direction on mods

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  HRTKD 
#1 ·
Hey gang, there are so many threads here that its overwhelming.
I have a list of things I wanna do. Gonna need some direction.
Just bought a 2006 Titan LE 4x4
So I've learned I need B pipes (P0430 & P0420)and to change the diff fluids. :)
And to order the Air Raid MPX

But I want the following and really don't know where to look so just link it

Mods
Speed grilles w logo
Front brush guard chrome
Front lift kit to get a level look
iPhone or blue tooth controller

Maintenance
Oil and tranny fluids are changed
Going to get it looked at for seal leaks, shock leaks
Boots and bushings.

I know the previous owner changed the radiator.
What else should I look for?

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess I'll jump in and give ya a few pointers. My phone doesn't let me post links, but I can point you in the right direction.

For the leveled look, usually a 2" leveling kit does the trick. It's just a block that goes in top of the coilover. Considering you have over 100K it's probably time for new shocks so I'd steer you towards some Bilstein 5100's set on middle perch on front end, you just need to swap your coils over, and 5125's in back. Far superior ride compared to the stock shocks and will level off the front. Two good places to get these would be 4x4parts.com or ajusa.com

For cheap easy mods, check out the axle vent mod on TT. It'll take sbout 20 minutes of your time and about $20 in materials at your local auto parts store and a special part from a Toyota parts counter. Yes a Toyota part to fix a Nissan flaw in axle design. It will keep you from blowing axle and pinion seals.

For a front grille check out Royalty core. They make some of the sickest grilles and emblems. Pricey, but not as bad as RBP.

#4 ·
Your titan

You should also buy the tuner i'm selling :), i'll cut the price to 165 since your new BullyDog Pup.

#6 ·
Correct. If you do headers you will require a tuner or you will have CEL and SES lights. Uprev is the best, but expensive and requires a laptop. The Bullydog GT is the only plug and play tuner I heard of that gets the AFR's back in an acceptable range.

#9 ·
My neighbor is the service rep at my local Stealership. Perhaps I can grease him a few C notes to do it for me.
What range does the AFR need to be?
I really doubt that the folks at the dealership know how to do that or that they would touch it.

#8 ·
Great question, unfortunately I don't know the specific #'s. Some of the guys with Uprev would probably be able to answer that. Don't know if the stealership software can adjust AFR's either.

#11 ·
I got this off PRG website:

1 inch lift spacer

PRG Price: $79.00
Quantity
Description
billet spacer that can be added on top of coilovers for 1" more lift. These spacers are 5/8" thick, you must be sure that the studs/bolts on your upper mount will allow for this add'l thickness. These will NOT, did i mention, THESE WILL NOT work on stuck struts. price is for pair shipped in the 50 states.

THESE WILL NOT work on stuck struts.

What are STUCK STRUTS? Did they mean STOCK STRUTS?

:confused:

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
What are STUCK STRUTS? Did they mean STOCK STRUTS?

:confused:

The bolts that hold the strut into coilbucket can sometimes get seized and have to be cut to remove strut. A 1" spacer won't level you out either. You will need a 2" to be completely level. The 1" spacers are more designed for guys running custom suspension set ups like mine.

#12 ·
Just trying to prepare you for all that is involved with a header swap. Stealerships probably won't install headers considering they are a major alteration to the emissions system. They are likely restricted by laws and regulatios. Which is why they don't have the ability to adjust AFR's. Heck, most won't even do the 2* timing advance. Plenty of T owners are running LT headers, Cajun or Berk b pipes, and catback systems with a Bully dog GT with no CEL or SES. Some have also reported that their AFR's are ok (how they got this info I don't know.) If you just do b pipes and a catback, you should be ok without a tuner. It's when you swap the restrictive exhaust manifolds for headers that will require you to add a tuner.

Start with your b pipes to solve your fault codes. Worry about headers later.

...it sounds impropable that Nissan can't do what Uprev can do.
It's part of being a Titan owner. It's kinda a love/hate thing.

#14 ·
Misfit, you are awesome for assisting me so damn much. I'm not having the dealer do anything. Just asking if they can tune the AFR.
If they can't, then I will do what everyone else does. :(

I have ordered the long tube headers, Air Raid system, and next week I'm ordering the BPipes.
Now when it comes to bolting this on, I'm getting the Automotive shop at the local community college (friends w the auto instructor)
They have all the tools, lifts, supports, etc. they even have a Genesis Tool, but I'm not sure what it can and can't do.
I will be there with them and provide lunch for the class. :)

With 2-3 mechanics working on it at the same time, it might move at a good pace..

Hoping for no missing parts, no stripped header bolts, etc.

Anything I should be on the look out for?

Also, as far as the 1" spacer goes, I'm just looking to get close to a level look. What's the biggest front lift spacer I can get
Without affecting the current stock setup?

#16 ·
The tallest spacer you can add is 2" without having issues. Prg also makes a 1.5" spacer.

As far as the diff goes, most shops should be able to replace the seals. The more common seals to leak are the rear axle seals. If you see oil on the dust shields they're leaking or did at some point. New seals and axle vent mod and the rear axle will better than the day it came off the line.

Hope everything goes smooth for ya.

#17 ·
The challenge when changing the suspension on pre-2007 4x4 Titans is that the c-clip inside the differential that holds the axle shafts doesn't hold up. The more lift you create, the more stress is placed on the c-clip. This problem was fixed by Nissan starting with some 2006 models from what I hear.

The issues that Misfit is referring to in the above post is that beyond a certain spacer height the Upper Control Arm (UCA) will come into contact with the coilover bucket and make a clunking sound at full droop (which happens more often than you think). Aftermarket UCA's eliminate this problem.

For what it's worth, my Titan is leveled using adjustable coilovers. It is a much more expensive way to level than a spacer but I needed the heavier coil springs in the aftermarket coilover.

If the rear axle seals are leaking the dealers are now fixing it with a package from Nissan that includes the axle shaft, seal and (I think) the bearing. My understanding of the current theory on why the axle is in that set is that there may have been excessive wear on the axle shaft that caused the leak. So replacing just the seal isn't enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.