Nissan Titan Forum banner

Need direction...

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Kingoftheroad 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Well, I'm not sure what angle to approach this problem I have now with my dealership. Last Thursday, I dropped my Armada off to get the AC TSB fix and it stayed overnight so that if the parts showed up the next day, they could get it fixed. Well, the parts did not show up, so I took it home and parked it in front of my house. Come today, that I take it to work, I open the console and low and behold my DVD player is gone. The cables are still there and even the screws that held it in. Luckily, they didn't swipe my Scangauge that was in there too.

Here's my concern; it's had been a few days from the time I picked up the truck to the time I had actually open the console and noticed it was gone; can I still hold the dealership liable?

I've taken this thing over to the dealership a few times already, and never had a problem. I just bought an Xterra from them back in April so I hope they try to take care of me.

Thanks for reading.

JT

#2 ·
Oh thats a tough one. My guess is that you cant hold them legally responsible...but maybe if you have a talk with the dealer's management you can give them a heads up. I'm sure if they have someone working for them thats a little shady...they'd want to know. And they may actually pay up too! Just dont go in all mad and demanding. Ask them is there a way that we can work this out. Good luck to ya!

#3 ·
I agree, try to stay as calm as possible, explain the situation to them just like you did here, and see what they say. It seems like you are a solid customer that brings them good business, so they probably don't want to do anything that could loose that business. Like you said, you can't prove that it was taken while it was there, but you can at least say that there was a possibility that it was and see if they can help you out. Good luck, and keep us updated.

#4 ·
ChicksDigEmToo said:
Oh thats a tough one. My guess is that you cant hold them legally responsible...but maybe if you have a talk with the dealer's management you can give them a heads up. I'm sure if they have someone working for them thats a little shady...they'd want to know. And they may actually pay up too! Just dont go in all mad and demanding. Ask them is there a way that we can work this out. Good luck to ya!
When I read your post . I called a friend of mine that is the finance manager at the nissan dealer. he says bring it to the dealerships attention asap. he says nissan has a zero tolerence for this. and let them at least investigate it. you never know you may get lucky.

#6 ·
As everyone else has said, REMAIN CALM.

That is the most important piece of advice anyone can, and has, given you.

If you go in there demanding stuff like a kidnapper, they will totally ignore you and all but tell you to get lost.

#7 ·
Thanks all. I'm just glad I took my other stuff out of there before I left the Mada with them. I would have been crying even more if they would have taken my lcd's and my carputer. I hope the idiot who took it has a fun time trying to find the wire harness that you need to make that dvd player work.

At least I still have the remote...

#8 ·
#9 · (Edited)
Update : Service manager said since it was on THEIR parking lot when it was there overnight, my insurance has to pickup the bill. As he put it, "If you parked in a Safeway parking lot, they are not responsible if there is damage or theft." If it was in their service area that something was stolen/damaged, then their insurance would cover it. He "assured" me that none of his techs would have any reason to steal it. Whatever. Not hard for a "tech" to call his buddy over to get his hands on some goods in an unlocked car.

To sum it up...if your car/truck is in their parking lot overnight, you're responsible for any damages/theft.

Editted out

#10 · (Edited)
I would not leave it at that. First off they have a responsibility to secure your vehicle. Since nothing was damaged, if it was stolen over-night, they didn't lock it. Second he assures you that none of his tech's would do that? Oh, okay then?

#11 ·
Go to the general manager. Let us know what comes out of that.
The car should have been locked up if it was there over night. If they had had several cars broken into then I can see them getting the insurance companies involved. As far as the parking in the safeway parking lot. You are not turning your keys over to some one at safeway to keep your vehicle safe. By giving them your keys you are trusting that your vehicle will be returned to you in the same condition that you dropped it off in.

#12 ·
I disagree with your dealership. It was left "in their care and custody" at their request. They take responsibility, unless you agreed to waive this. I believe that this is true in most/all states.

But, I think that you're screwed because you waited so long. In court, it would have to be proven that it was taken while in their 'care and custody'. You could take a run at the top management and hope for the best, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I wish you luck.

#14 ·
Buy yourself some Vaseline and get ready to take it in the arse. Lol! J/K man...
I find it hard to believe that they will do something about it, they'll just claim that it was stolen in front of your house or something. But if you're lucky the dealer will be good to you and offer to pay, really hard to tell what they will do.
Just like everyone is saying though, don't go there demanding too much, be kind.

#15 ·
Update 2: I talked with the General Mgr last night and his position was if I would have noticed it earlier, then they would have done something about it. I don't usually open the console unless I'm putting a movie in for the kids to watch, so I wouldn't have noticed, especially since I had been using my X during the weekend (the Armada was parked the whole time). He basically said, since the 4 days that have gone by, anything could of happened from the time I picked it up to the time when I called to complain. I explained to him from the way I see it, I've lived in my neighborhood for 7 years without me or any of my neighbors having their vehicle broken into. So for the past two years that I've had my Mada, I HIGHLY doubt my truck was broken into. Can it happen? Sure, anything can happen, but it's then really, really coincidental that the one night my truck stays at the dealership overnight, my dvd player goes missing.

He then started going into how sophisticated thieves are nowadays and can break into your car without setting the alarm or leave any indication of any break in and that's why my neighbors or myself did not notice my Mada being broken into. So I turned it around and ask if then the Nissan security system is defective or has a major flaw that Nissan should be aware of.

This little series of the blame game went on little longer.

Well, in the end I told him I'll be taking my trucks and my business elsewhere and cancel my extended warranty that I bought from them. Things turned at that point. I wasn't able to get them to cover the replacement cost on it but he did agree to cover half of it. With that said, I have to say the dealership did come around somewhat but not after a lot of teeth pulling. It's better than what I though I was going to get (which was nothing) but less than what I would have liked.

I've editted out the name of dealership since they tried to help me out in the end. BUT, still be carefull about any items, EVEN if it's bolted in because there are dealerships out there that will not do the right thing.

Thanks for putting up with my rant!

#17 ·
TheSquid said:
You're lucky every Dealership and repair shop I've ever been to have big signs reminding you to take all personal and removable items from your vehicle. It usually also says they are not responsible for stolen property on the work order you sign.
They still have a responsibility to provide reasonable security for the vehicle and leaving it outside overnight, unlocked (even it its in a gated lot) is not reasonable, its negligent. But we all know that the DVD player was not stolen overnight, it was stolen during the day by an employee.
While they are not admitting blame to you, I bet someone gets fired over the deal.

#19 ·
eharri3 said:
I'd accept the offer and still go elsewhere for service.
Not a bad idea! The fact that the item was taken and absolutely no signs of a break-in were apparent sounds like it likely happened at the dealer. Amature thieves jimmy locks, break windows, and damage things. A thief that breaks in with no trace(as the dealer suggested) would be a professional and I don't think a pro would go through that much trouble for what they took from you(no offense).

When I take my Titan into the stealership, I take EVERYTHING out I can: maps, spare change, tools, garage door opener, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.