Nissan Titan Forum banner

ABS sensor problems

14K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  spody 
#1 ·
I have been having problems with my ABS sensors . First it wasd the rear passenger sensor wire melted to the exhaust . Next it was the wiring harness that goes through the rear door . Now its the front drivers side wheel sensor . The tech went to change the sensor on the front wheel and discovered the hub assembly is worn out . I'm guessing that's what caused the sensor to malfunction . They are covering it under warranty as they should but I'm concerned about the durability of the assembly itself . I use my truck for work and play but I don't beat on it . When I'm out wheelin , I know I have to get to work , so I'm careful . Plus , I don't have a lot of money to just throw at it . It's not quite a year old and have 50 000 km (32 000ish miles) on it . Anyone else have any ABS problems or hub assembly issues?

The worst part of all this - I can't engage 4WD cause the ABS/SLIP light is on constantly .
Oh ya , I just had the 4lo actuator/switch/motor or whatever it was called replaced .
Yes , I am on a first name basis with the service guy . I'm sure he is starting to recognise my voice when I call . LoL . He's a good guy though so I don't give him any grief . He said I'm the only one he knows that actually USES their truck .
Kudos to Sunridge Nissan for taking care of me . I'll be buying my next Titan from them -'09 Heavy Duty Diesel - I hope :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Everyone that has an aftermarket exhaust has probably melted the ABS sensor wire. Mine was melted but not bad enough to totally destroy it. To keep any more damage from occuring, I wrapped the melted area with electrical tape, then took a thick rubber radiator tube, split it up the center and wrapped it around the wire, then wrapped it with electrical tape. Then finally wrapped it with aluminum tape. I'm going to do a how to once I get some pictures.

#4 ·
titanse05 said:
Everyone that has an aftermarket exhaust has probably melted the ABS sensor wire. Mine was melted but not bad enough to totally destroy it. To keep any more damage from occuring, I wrapped the melted area with electrical tape, then took a thick rubber radiator tube, split it up the center and wrapped it around the wire, then wrapped it with electrical tape. Then finally wrapped it with aluminum tape. I'm going to do a how to once I get some pictures.
Not to thread jack but...You are from Pa, right? Where at?

#6 ·
TRXR said:
That sucks, I just melted the rear passenger abs wire too. Are they hard to replace? I heard you just unbolt them at the wheel, and then unplug the wire harness. Is it really that easy?
Yes , it is that easy . When you replace it , just re-route it so that it won't touch the exhaust again . Zip ties work well .

#7 ·
Where do these sensors run near the exhaust? I just installed a Borla exhaust and I was trying to check for any wires near it since you can't reuse the heat shields.

#8 · (Edited)
whirichardson said:
Where do these sensors run near the exhaust? I just installed a Borla exhaust and I was trying to check for any wires near it since you can't reuse the heat shields.
Here's the rear wheel sensor wire, trace it back to see where it run. On my truck you can see the wire (red arrow) near the exhaust (blue arrow) they're about 6 in. away from each other. I check and does not see any movement in the ABS sensor wire, just make sure there's not enough play for it to touch the exhaust pipe.

Attachments

#9 ·
I just got the ABS light as well. Assuming it is burned up, how is it replaced? I know how to remove it at the wheel but where does the other end of the wire travel? Or.....could I just add a short piece of wire with some butt splices and heat shrink them for protection?

#10 ·
vshortt said:
I just got the ABS light as well. Assuming it is burned up, how is it replaced? I know how to remove it at the wheel but where does the other end of the wire travel? Or.....could I just add a short piece of wire with some butt splices and heat shrink them for protection?
Hey Vaughn if you trace that wire up to about where the frame is, it's a plug that you can unplug. I would replaced it, it's about $30 for the wire.
Part number
47900-7S200 ABS sensor wire, rear, right
47901-7S200 ABS sensor wire, rear, left

This thread got me nervous so I just zip tie mine out of the way.:D

#11 ·
baseballfanz said:
Hey Vaughn if you trace that wire up to about where the frame is, it's a plug that you can unplug. I would replaced it, it's about $30 for the wire.
Part number
47900-7S200 ABS sensor wire, rear, right
47901-7S200 ABS sensor wire, rear, left

This thread got me nervous so I just zip tie mine out of the way.:D
That's cool. I had no idea it was such a short run. Thanks for the part numbers, BBF. I'll check the wires this afternoon and see if it's anything obvious. I'm sort of hoping that it IS burnt and that's all there is wrong with it. We'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.