4 wheel drive not engaging - Page 3 - Nissan Titan Forum

post #21 of 30 Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 PM
TheSkeeter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to TheSkeeter
I think I read that the same way Chief may have been reading it. I thought at first they used a file to adjust the depth of the splines or the groove the c-clip locks into. Now I'm thinking they just made sure there were no burrs on the shaft from falling out and then stuck it back in. I was thinking some sort of machining work. Now I'm thinking typical dealer eyeball from their newest tech who just got his Certificate of Completion from the 2-day Titan school they send them to in the closet behind the repair waiting room. (j/k)

My left front came out one time too. Was still under warranty at the time and dealer put new c-clip on. Now u got me thinking if there's something that can be done to the groove the c-clip sits in and use a slightly larger c-clip. I dunno. Just thinking out loud. I have to install new hubs this weekend to get rid of the wind-blowing-over-a-bottle womp womp womp sound in the front end. Gotta tackle that first. $134 each for new hubs.

The Skeeter
2005 LE 4x4 CC
PRG mini-lift, Performance Accessories 3" body lift, Helo Maxx 6 17x9 wheels, Yokohama Geolander A/T-S 315/70 R17 Tires, Clubtitan.org sticker @ +20 HP!, Wade in-channel window visors, AVS bug shield, chrome tailgate bezel, 20% tint front/20%+factory rear/sides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 AM
trckwsh01
Shift_Newbie

I had the same problems as you guys are saying about with the drivers side axle. I took it to the dealer to see what was covered but was denied due to the lift. They told me i'd be in the $1700 range including labor. I decided to try the cir-clip fix and it's been holding so far (for about a year now). The initial cost of the clip was $3.48 plus shipping from Coutesy Nissan . com. I was lucky enough to be able to get the axle out of the diff without even putting the truck on a jack! Good luck to whoever has this problem!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frontaxle.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	48189   Click image for larger version

Name:	frontaxle2.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	48190  

'04 SE- Pro Comp Stage 1 6" lift, 17x9 Moto Metal 951's (black), 315/70r17 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, Rhino Lined Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares and rockers, Catless Cajun B-Pipes followed by JBA Catback System, 2 Degree Timing advance, Pinch Weld Mod, S & B CAI, Headlight Mod, Fog Light Mod, Blue LED Dash Mod, LED Rears (3rd brake light and Tails), Vertical Billet Grill(4 pc), Polished Aluminum Diamond Plate Floor Mats, Solid Stainless Tail Gate Bib
post #23 of 30 Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Chief
Shift_Hardcore

I cancelled my appt with the dealer on Thursday. Ordered the clips from CourtesyNissan just now. (9 Bucks Shipping???? Holy Crap!!!!!!!)

Anyway it's peanuts compared to the alternative and It's worth the 9 bucks instead of driving to pick them up.

Thanks A Lot for all the help guys, whether it works out or not I really appreciate you taking the time!!!!!!!

I'll update when I put the clip on.

Chief

"I'm in denial!!!! I admit it!!!! (me)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
04 SILVER XE CREW CAB 4X4
OFFROAD PACKAGE
PREFERRED PACKAGE
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

"HEMI FOR LUNCH BUNCH" MEMBER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 30 Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 PM
BiXLL
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to BiXLL
Good luck man, I hope it does the job for ya!

Born-4/27/04
Adopted-7/25/04
Smoke SE CC 4X4
Popular Captain, Big Tow, Utili-trak, Bed Extender,Fog Lights, OEM Seat Covers, Truxedo Lo Pro, Xm SkiFi 2, Bushwacker FenderFlares, APS Billet Grill, Weathertech Vent Visors, Lund Bug Shield, Stainless Door Pillars, Stainless Window Sills, Chrome Tailgate trim, Challanger Tube Steps, X-Pel Paint Protection, Front Tint, PIAA Silicone Wipers, Gibson 3" Stainless Single, Volant CAI, Airaid TB Spacer, ECO Fuel System, 2% Timing Advance, Active Tuning Ground Kit, DR Coilovers , Total Chaos arms, Bilstien 5100s, Deaver 2 1/2" Rear Spring Pack, Pro Comp Extreme 1079s. BFG AT 315x70x17, LM Bull Bar, PIAA Driving Lights, Wireless Keypad, Remote Start, under seat gun safe
post #25 of 30 Old 01-29-2011, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Chief
Shift_Hardcore

Thanks BiXLL,

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
OFFROAD PACKAGE
PREFERRED PACKAGE
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Chief
Shift_Hardcore

I tried installing the new clip today.

I don't have the clearance. The 6 flange bolts came off easy with a little hammering. I jacked the truck up and had the wheels turned all the way right, which gave me more clearance. but even with a buddy helping and 2 crowbars, I couldn't get the (2) 1/2 flanges to clear each other!!! I removed the bump-stop for more movement also.

Next step would have been to start moving A-Arm bolts and it still didn't look promising.

I'm pissed. I put it back together and it's going to the dealer to have the c-clip installed.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Guess it wasn't in the cards for me today. Damn.

TRCKWSH01, looks like we have different parts. I see your flange only has 4 bolts while mine has six. Probably more difference than that. Thanks anyway

Chief

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
OFFROAD PACKAGE
PREFERRED PACKAGE
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

post #27 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 05:35 PM
BiXLL
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to BiXLL
sometimes vehicles just plain SUCK!!!!!!! Sorry for ya man, I have been there!

Born-4/27/04
Adopted-7/25/04
Smoke SE CC 4X4
Popular Captain, Big Tow, Utili-trak, Bed Extender,Fog Lights, OEM Seat Covers, Truxedo Lo Pro, Xm SkiFi 2, Bushwacker FenderFlares, APS Billet Grill, Weathertech Vent Visors, Lund Bug Shield, Stainless Door Pillars, Stainless Window Sills, Chrome Tailgate trim, Challanger Tube Steps, X-Pel Paint Protection, Front Tint, PIAA Silicone Wipers, Gibson 3" Stainless Single, Volant CAI, Airaid TB Spacer, ECO Fuel System, 2% Timing Advance, Active Tuning Ground Kit, DR Coilovers , Total Chaos arms, Bilstien 5100s, Deaver 2 1/2" Rear Spring Pack, Pro Comp Extreme 1079s. BFG AT 315x70x17, LM Bull Bar, PIAA Driving Lights, Wireless Keypad, Remote Start, under seat gun safe
post #28 of 30 Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Chief
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiXLL View Post
sometimes vehicles just plain SUCK!!!!!!! Sorry for ya man, I have been there!
Thanks BiXLL, guess I just had to pout for a few hours. Now I have to see if the dealer is willing to just install the clips, or if it's even worth it over installing the whole diff.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
OFFROAD PACKAGE
PREFERRED PACKAGE
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

post #29 of 30 Old 10-20-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Chief
Shift_Hardcore

Just an update,

I bought the clip, but didn't drive the truck much since all this stuff started happening. Had my mechanic put the clip in yesterday. He said the old clip was really loose compared to the new one. The front diff also took some fluid, so did the back (which was whining) both seem pretty quiet now.

The shaft hadn't popped out all summer and I porposefully used 4wd a few times (did the warmer temps keep the shaft from coming out?) Who knows. The parts guy at Nissan said the new clip should fix the problem and also said make sure the vent hose is clear (which I did)

Just hoping this holds up now. Only time will tell.

Joe

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
OFFROAD PACKAGE
PREFERRED PACKAGE
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

post #30 of 30 Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 PM
donaldpeter58
Banned
Shift_lurker

The next time I went to turn it on it just made a grinding sound until I came to a stop. When I start to move again, no more noise, dash indicates 4WD, but there is none. I can put it in 4 Lo and engage the E-Locker, but still 4WD is not engaging.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode