Transfer Case Fluid - Nissan Titan Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-12-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
firegugg
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transfer Case Fluid

Im going tobe changing my Transfer Case fluid soon, curious to see what you guys think.

The manual calls for Matic D (US) or dexron III (Can) same t case in both countries so were not falling for that BS. Local dealer said the same but added its probably not a good idea to use matic J or S, but Dex III is fine. So Castrol makes Import Multi Vehicle ATF which is Matic D & J compatible, as well as Dexron III compatible.

So I figure everythings good, exept the Matic J part, which doesnt concern me much but should it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-13-2012, 07:06 PM
electricjohn
Shift_Fanatic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've used Dex III multiple times with no problems. If the fluid in your case is factory, don't let the nasty stuff coming out scare you. It is typical. It won't ever look that bad again. I would use either Matic D or a Dex III, staying away from the one size fits all clones.

04 SE, White, CC, 4x4, B.T., Pop w/capt's, Util. Bed package,Splash Guards,Floor Mats. No mods.(none planned except for inchannel vent visors and an 07 exhaust). Gas whore.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 AM
HRTKD
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've used AMSOil synthetic ATF since my Titan had 1,000 miles on it. The second change was at about 32,000 miles and it was a lot more dirty than when it went in. For the transfer case I'm switching to a 15,000 mile change interval. It's an easy process so I don't mind.

There is a guy on TT that had the dealer service his transfer case for him. They put in 75w-140 differential fluid instead of ATF. He's been running that fluid for 12,000 miles!!! That tells me that the transfer case is a tough SOB and it could care less what you put in there as long as it lubricates and dissipates heat.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, Volant PowerCore, 18" Magnaflow, AMSoil in everything»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Berk Technology B-Pipes»

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jim

post #4 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
firegugg
Shift_lurker

I just did the T case and differentials yesterday. I ponied up fro the Matic D but I was a little scared when I got the drain plug off ( 8mm hex) it looked like used motor oil. Any how, new fluid in and the truck seems to coast smoother. Prob all in my head but now I know I've got all new driveline fluids.

"If this is right, I'd rather be wrong. If this is sight, I'd rather be Blind" - incubus
post #5 of 8 Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Forestteck
Shift_Newbie

Just did my transfer case. I don't know when or if it had ever been done before. It looked like thin black motor oil comin out. A 10mm Hex, 2 quarts Royal Purple Max ATF and 20 minutes and done. Oh yeah a hand pump makes it even easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE Crew Cab with Big Tow.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Jeffrey7820
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I've used AMSOil synthetic ATF since my Titan had 1,000 miles on it. The second change was at about 32,000 miles and it was a lot more dirty than when it went in. For the transfer case I'm switching to a 15,000 mile change interval. It's an easy process so I don't mind.

There is a guy on TT that had the dealer service his transfer case for him. They put in 75w-140 differential fluid instead of ATF. He's been running that fluid for 12,000 miles!!! That tells me that the transfer case is a tough SOB and it could care less what you put in there as long as it lubricates and dissipates heat.
That would be my Titan. My transfer case works great. I use my 4x4 often. However Nissan did replace the fluid with Nissan transmission fluid after they messed up. But I still have no issues with 120k miles on the truck

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2006 silver kc 4x4.
3 inch rough country leveling kit,
straight piped from cat back.
2 degree timing advance.
k&n air intake.
305 65 18 Falken Rocky Mountain AT
18x9 mb razors.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 AM
jerseyparts
Shift_Hardcore

Send a message via AIM to jerseyparts
Matic S is a Synthetic, it is the replacement for Matic J which has been discontinued.
I would not use Matic S or J in the Transfer case, use only Dex III or Matic D (Dex IIIE)

But I have not seen a Transfer Case fail yet in all my years with Nissan, it is absoutely one Part put together right, can't say the same for the Murano Transfer case....

Genuine Nissan Parts and Accessories!

The Original Parts Pimp!
post #8 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Jeffrey7820
Shift_Newbie

Off topic but I use synthetic 75w-140 in my front and rear diff since I use my 4x4 so much. I have since 15 k miles.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2006 silver kc 4x4.
3 inch rough country leveling kit,
straight piped from cat back.
2 degree timing advance.
k&n air intake.
305 65 18 Falken Rocky Mountain AT
18x9 mb razors.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode