Towing Issues - Page 5 - Nissan Titan Forum

post #41 of 48 Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM
challenger3x2
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have added Headers and dual exhaust since 2/2012. Towing power only gets better. When towing boat on hill I leave shifter in 4th without loosing speed. I can climb hills around 70 mph with cruise set now.

06 Titan LE,4x4,Steel Leather,Red Alert,Big Tow,Factory Step Rails,Brush Gaurd,Floor Mat,Bed Extender.. Add On's- In Channel Window Vent,Rear Spoiler mounted on RollBak Retractable bed cover... 2 Deg Timing Mod.. AirRaid TBS... NISMO Cold Air Intake.. BullyDog GT III and FlowMaster cat back dual exhaust.. Drilled/slotted rotors and Evolution pads front and rear.. JBA headers, rear sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 PM
davel3083
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any opinions on the tow mode button, hauling a 3100 pound camper, half interstate and some city, been driving with it on all the time, been watching my fuel gauge take a hit as well, about 9mpg on the last 40 mile trip, please opinions and facts wanted , 2007 v8 crew cab four wheel drive se titan...
post #43 of 48 Old 10-16-2013, 11:34 PM
HRTKD
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
In my opinion, when towing it is never wrong to use the tow mode button. Even more important is to never tow in Overdrive. Use 4th instead.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, Volant PowerCore, 18" Magnaflow, AMSoil in everything»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Berk Technology B-Pipes»

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jim

post #44 of 48 Old 08-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Titan 09
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok guys I am confused. I own a 2009 Crew Cab LE with the tow package. I have the tow/haul mode which I will use when towing our new travel trailer, but I see comments about using the tow mode but shifting into 3 or 4th at the same time. Doesn't shifting into 3rd or 4th negate the tow mode? My owners manual states using 4th for assisting with braking down hill.

I am trying to figure out the best scenario for towing. The trailer is 7400 Lbs and we have a wd hitch with anti sway bars so I want to be smart about the towing process. I know I will have to be patient while towing because of the added weight so My speed will be reduced but also what about towing uphill??????

Looking for any advice and input. Just a little nervous about the experience.

Thanks

Tim
post #45 of 48 Old 08-19-2015, 09:30 PM
HRTKD
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Generally, when you hear about shifting to 3rd or 4th we're talking about when towing up an incline. With that much weight you should be in 4th all the time. If you are going up an incline and you see the transmission temperature gauge start to creep up then shift to 3rd. It's OK to be proactive and shift to 3rd before that but you probably don't want to be in 3rd at 60 MPH. There are times when I have to shift to 2nd to keep the transmission temperature down.

Going down hill you're going to manually shift to the lower gears to keep your speed down and save your brakes. Tow/haul mode doesn't come into play when descending, only when accelerating.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, Volant PowerCore, 18" Magnaflow, AMSoil in everything»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Berk Technology B-Pipes»

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jim
post #46 of 48 Old 08-20-2015, 01:56 PM
Canadian Miner
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
. With that much weight you should be in 4th all the time.
Agreed.

Use a weight distribution hitch and a brake controller, extend tow mirrors, engage tow haul, disengage the backup sensors, select 4th gear, and drive according to load and conditions.

2012 RAM 2500 Crew 4x4 Cummins
H&S, AFE, Zone 6" Lift, BD Steering Brace, Black Rhino Rims, 35" Yokohoma Geolandar, Powerboards, Lorado Cover, Vision-X LED

SOLD - 2005 SE Crew Off-Road Big Tow High Utility
KC Lights, Nissan Brush Guard, PRG Performance Lift, RADFLO, Deaver Packs, 35" Duratracs, 34" AT KOs, Backup Light, Stillen Rad, AT Grounding Kit, MXP Intake, JBA Titanium Ceramic Long Tubes, Cajun Cat'd 2.5" B Pipes, 08 Pipes, Borla Swap, Ultra Quiet, UpRev Tuned, Timbren SES, RC Traction Bars
post #47 of 48 Old 08-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Titan 09
Shift_lurker

Towing Issues

Thanks guys for the input. I do have a weight distributing hitch, brake controller, tow mirrors, back up sensor disengaged, tow haul mode will be engaged, truck will be in 4th gear.

Thanks again
post #48 of 48 Old 08-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Titan 09
Shift_lurker

HRTKD,
Thanks for the advice. I was mistaken in the model I have, I stated LE when it is actually an SE. But I do have the tow package. We were practicing towing a little this weekend and I did engage the tow/haul mode as well as put the truck in 4th gear. The truck did seem to tow a little easier so that is the set up i will use whenever I tow the trailer. I have not had to handle hills just yet so that will be a bit of an adventure when they come up.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode