Nissan Titan Forum banner

New Horn

5K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  blkbelt65 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Looks pretty sweet, I might be the guinney pig on this one. There is a NT not for from me I may go check it out tomorrow.

#5 ·
I had air horns on a 4x4 I used to own. There was a slight delay from the instant you push the button until it blasts out. But that's the only minor objection I had to them. But they were L-O-U-D!!

I'm not sure if it would work with the horn 'beep', confirming 'lock' and 'unlock' with the key fob, as the compressor has to build up enough pressure to sound off.

Maybe a switch would work, allowing you to switch between the OEM horn and the air horn - ?

#7 ·
Just got back from Northern Tool and they are a catalog only item...figures. I may try to order one in the next couple of weeks. If anyone has any feedback it would be appreciated.

#9 ·
Ha. They have one that plays dixie and one that goes ahooooogaaaah. lol Does that work?

#14 ·
RE: ttugrad95

Thanks for the link. The sound was what I was wondering about.

That one sounds like the old air horns on my old 4x4. Hated it. Sounds like it belongs on a Prius. Waaaaay too high-pitched for my Titan.

I'm looking for more of a train diesel engine sound, I guess.

But that's just me.

#15 ·
I would like that too but we are talking about two completely different things here. This is a $39 OEM replacement air horn. One bolt to hold in in place and two wires to hook it up. Train horns cost $500+ with quite an involved install process. The tone you are looking for requires long and multiple trumpets and your not going to find it with something like this.

#16 ·
RE: "The tone you are looking for requires long and multiple trumpets and your not going to find it with something like this."
----------------

You're probably right. I can dream, can't I? I think it was JC Whitney that advertised electric horns that emulated a diesel engine horn - for a fairly low price. But, I don't know if they're any good.
-

#17 ·
It looks an aweful lot like a Stebel Compact and the draw on the Stebel is around 18 amps so you will need to put in a relay. I have a Stebel Nautilus in conjunction with the stock horns and I am glad to not be in front of the truck when they go off. When I installed the Stebel it sounded very European sportscar like and that is why I still run the stockers also. I just triggered the relay with the stock horn wires and never bothered to put in an isolation switch.

DESTRO

#19 · (Edited)
#20 ·
It sounds like a Crown Vic horn, IMO. Definitely a waste of money...

Train horns will run you $1,500 and up, period. There is no TRUE substitute.

I'm considering emergency vehicle style air horns (like the ones on fire trucks). They run considerably less in cost.

You can get decent "air horns" on a budget, but true train horns are too pricey...

#21 ·
We paid $750 to get one installed on one of our older ambulances...now it sounds like a tug boat pulling into port going down the road. Make sure the trumpets are good and long!!! The electric air horn built into the siren is awesome. Just gotta find a spot to mount the 100 watt speaker. In fact that what I'll be doing tomorrow night, looking for a spot on mine, Just got a promotion and now I get red lights and a siren!!!

#22 ·
REC3036 said:
We paid $750 to get one installed on one of our older ambulances...now it sounds like a tug boat pulling into port going down the road. Make sure the trumpets are good and long!!! The electric air horn built into the siren is awesome. Just gotta find a spot to mount the 100 watt speaker. In fact that what I'll be doing tomorrow night, looking for a spot on mine, Just got a promotion and now I get red lights and a siren!!!
Hmm...

So what brand do the ambulances normally use? Is there a specific supplier that you guys typically go with?

#23 ·
Penguin,

I'll look tonight, when I go down there. I don't remember off the top of my head. It was the real deal, pull chain, dc compressor, reserve tank, push button on the console next to the siren, and of course the trumpet. For some reason they put a short trumpet on and the rig sounds like a tug boat going thru an intersection. Of course it is on an Ambulance so we had no problem putting the trumpet right on the roof ot the rig over the dirvers head. The new ones come mounted in the bumpers, and they are dual long horns and sound really nice.
I do remeber that it was installed by VCI Emergency Vehicles in Berlin, NJ just off of Rt73, I think it is Berlin-Cross Keys Rd.

#24 ·
REC3036 said:
Penguin,

I'll look tonight, when I go down there. I don't remember off the top of my head. It was the real deal, pull chain, dc compressor, reserve tank, push button on the console next to the siren, and of course the trumpet. For some reason they put a short trumpet on and the rig sounds like a tug boat going thru an intersection. Of course it is on an Ambulance so we had no problem putting the trumpet right on the roof ot the rig over the dirvers head. The new ones come mounted in the bumpers, and they are dual long horns and sound really nice.
I do remeber that it was installed by VCI Emergency Vehicles in Berlin, NJ just off of Rt73, I think it is Berlin-Cross Keys Rd.
Man, that place is literally on my way home from work every day! I wonder if you have to be a legit "emergency" vehicle... I'm pretty sure I can fab something up with brackets and do the install myself, but professionals who do this every day might be a safer bet...

#26 ·
steves said:
Dude, if you put an airhorn on your truck, let's mount a 5 gallon tank with a bigger compressor.... that way you can inflate deflate tires, and explode soda bottles anywhere!
Hmmm... A bypass to inflate tires would be a pretty damned good idea! I wonder if it would be powerful enough?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.