Nissan Titan Forum banner

Help with air horn

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  TEXASGIANT 
#1 · (Edited)
Well up to now most of my mods have been glue on, stick on, snap on, light drilling and the exhaust. However this is my first venture into breaching the firewall. I had to remove the cowl (that crappy plastic thing under the wipers) to get on the inside of it. Not too tough. Got the horns mounted after much debate with the Mrs. and surrendering to her good judgement they fit very well. (there aint much space left under the hood)
It goes without saying that these horns play a Gabriel inspired rendition of "The eyes of Texas".

Also found the back side of the power steering resovoir bracket perfect for locating the compressor.

Now the big question.
Is there a prefered place to bring wire into the cab from the engine bay or should I just pick one and put the unibit to her till it feels big enough.
Also how in the #3// do you get the dash apart? I got the left and right knee knockers off but couldn't get beyond that. (well I could have but it probly would not have been pretty). When my wife came out and saw the guts behind the dash she went into a tirade about me being a tipically hard headed guy and made me come in here and get directions. I would like to use one of the switch blanks on the lower center of the dash to mount my switch.

Now to powering the thing.
When looking for power under the hood can I just clamp a wire under the + battery terminal? Where should I look for an "available hot" inside the cab?
Please help quick my wife is not going to leave me alone till this is done!

Did i stump you guys? no reply?

See less See more
#2 ·
I use the rubber boot where the hood release cable is, that's where I ran my wire to the firewall. Which part of the dash are you looking to take apart? The radio bezel just pull out, start at one corner and slowly work your way to other part. The center piece where the shifter is, just unscrew the shifter knob, pull up on the lid. As for power, I would use a relay to get power off the battery, run a ground wire to the switch to throw the relay.

#3 ·
I don't have an answer but I wanted to tell you that I love your engine cover! I just painted mine charcoal grey to match the exterior of my truck (smoke) the other night. It doesn't pop much against a black engine so I'm looking to do something else.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. It only took you guys 2 days to answer, thought i pissed someone off. Thanks gang.

#5 ·
TEXASGIANT said:
Thanks for the replies. It only took you guys 2 days to answer, thought i pissed someone off. Thanks gang.
I had to wait for my eyes sight to come back to normal before I could type. Your Super Bling Ride blinded me.:D Hey any tip on putting the side pillar on? I know it's a one time thing if you mess up your gonna F it up taking it off.:D
The Dallas Cowbys engine cover is robbing you of preciuos HP.:D

#6 ·
baseballfanz said:
I had to wait for my eyes sight to come back to normal before I could type. Your Super Bling Ride blinded me.:D Hey any tip on putting the side pillar on? I know it's a one time thing if you mess up your gonna F it up taking it off.:D
The Dallas Cowbys engine cover is robbing you of preciuos HP.:D
Should I have used the Texans? Actually it's just the flag but the white worked better as silver. O the pillars, hold 'em up there and get a good feel for it. Size it up, I didnt let them rest on the sill or there would have been black sticker hanging out at the top. Started to peel at the top, touch the edge of the pillar to the black sticker at the top then ease the lower end down. Still only have a couple of inches of peel pulled and at an angled where you can get hold of it as you get the pillar lined up. now the top is square and the front edge is lined up and you start to pull the tail that you left hanging out off. It is a hard pull so don't crooked up everything that you have aligned. As you pull the tail press the exposed glue down. Then rub 'er down for a few minuts, don't know if it made a dif but I felt better. Also I cleaned the area with alcohol wipes first (been going through alot of those lately). Then get ready to yell at everyone that doesn't use a rag to close the door they are murder for finger prints. You better get a couple of Power Balls and extra bats for the drill.

#8 ·
BHMTitan said:
Where / how are you getting the +12V under the hood? I'm installing some auxillary backup lights, and need a hot wire to run, via a relay, to the lights. Thanks!
Are you going to use a switch to turn the light on from the inside? Other wise I would just "T" tap them into the reverse lights. My horn set up uses a relay and the switch inside just goes to and from the relay the 12 comes from the battery to the relay through a 30 amp fuse.

#9 ·
I'm putting a pair of distribution blocks under hood -- xtra horn, backup lights, rear power feed, etc. Don't know where I am going to put them.

But, what is that block hooked to the battery plus??? can that be moved - I wanted to replace both battery terminals with some HD ones with my 1/0 coming off battery to distribution blocks, then to engine / starter etc. as well as my stuff and audio to cab. What can be done with that stuff on the battery??? Can it be mounted somewhere else???

#10 ·
Can't offer any help to you. What I can offer is a complement on your gorgeous truck!

#11 ·
I will have to leave the wiring to some other gurus around here. That Pos terminal looks rather complex and I wouldn't want give bad advice on relocating or making changes to that. This thing is soo sensative to electrical conditions that adding grounding will give you better gas mileage, better shifts, more bass in you speakers and fresher breath. (maybe not all that).
Macs: if yourare talking about mine, thanks. See you at the next Houston meet 25feb07.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.