Nissan Titan Forum banner

VHT NightShades Headlight Mod "How To"

22K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  ansin529 
#1 ·
2004 Nissan Titan KC SE

After some serious thought, I decided to tint my headlights utilyzing VHT Nightshades. There have been numerous threads that indicated a mixed review of thoughts as it pertains to this mod. My decision comes as a result of me being hard head, cheap and an individual who loves to perform his own aftermarket modifications.

This thread will provide my honest opinion of the product and it's application, before and after photographs and detailed instructions. The photographs were taken before my clearcoat application. I will submit a photograph of them at a later time.

*My Honest Opinion*

If you are an avid "do it yourself individual", you will be able to perform this mod utilyzing some paitence and moderate hair pulling. I would indeed recommend this mod to others who have or are currently thinking about it.

*Step by Step Directions*

1. Remove your headlight assembly from your truck (four bolts total).
2. Completely clean your headlight assembly with any kind of non abrasive cleaner or hot sudsy water.
3. Fill a bowl or small bucket of water with sudsy water and a soft rag.
The sudsy water will assist your sandpaper with gliding across the surface of the headlight.
4. Start out by using a 320-500 grit sandpaper and wet sand the entire surface of the headlight. Ensure that you are sanding the headlight surface evenly.
5. Wipe down the headlight with your rag from time to time to remove the oxidation and clear coat that is removed during sanding. This process will more than likely run you an hour or so while sipping on your beverage and swearing your arm is going to fall off.
6. After approximately an hour, wash the headlight surface and let it air dry. The entire headlight surface should be hazy from your sanding.
7. Now utilyze 800-1000 grit sandpaper and wet sand the entire surface of the headlight. Ensure that you are sanding the headlight surface evenly.
8. Once this is complete, complete step six again.
9. This step is very important. If you do not complete this step, you will be sorely disappointed when you notice your nightshades run and crack. Completely wash the headlight surface with somekind of acetone or wax and grease remover. You must ensure that there is no kind of oily residue left on the headlight before you begin your tinting.
10. Shake your can of VHT nightshades tint vigoursly for approximately five minutes.
11. Lightly spray your headlight with the nightshades across the entire surface.
12. Time 10 minutes between each coat and for goodness sakes; please ensure these coats are very light. My headlight received 10 individual layers. If you do not adhere to this recommendation, you will be wet sanding these headlights down for an hour more and have to start all over (do you really have to ask).
13. Once you reach your tinting preference, allow as close to 24 hours curing time.
14. Lights spray your headlight with your choice of clearcoat. This will give your headlight that glossy look you had before your mod.

Goodluck and I hope this helps anyone who is genuinely interested. If you think that this thread warrants a sticky, make it easy for everyone to research.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks good I'm spraying mine sometime this week. Thanks for the info

#4 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys...

I will take additional photographs of the headlights installed and from different angels this evening and will post them. I will also take photographs of them in operation during night time hours.

#5 ·
that paint has red flakes in it because it is made for taillights. i think t is to help them shine more red in the dark.
i did my cousins and they shined with a red tint.

#7 ·
i also did my heads and tails about a week ago. The first attempt was all screwed up and my headlights came out totally black ( as you can see in the second image ). I removed the paint and started over. The finally attempt actually came out looking really good. The heads now have a smoked effect buy not shiny at all. I also made cut-outs for my back up lights on the second attempt at the tails as well...

Attachments

#11 ·
Your headlight mod came out looking great on both attempts in my opinion. Great job...

I installed superbright halogen bulbs in my headlights months ago as I prepared to complete this mod. After completing the mod, I tested my headlights and they work great. If anyone hits me, it will be due to their lack of driving ability and terrible eye sight (lol).

#12 ·
Hey Ansin, they look good. I did mine a few months ago. The only thing is mine turned out looking greenish blue and match my deep water truck great.

Here are a couple pics from my thread I had created before:

#13 ·
Your headlights look awesome. I pondered for an hour or so on how light or dark I was gonna go. We'll see how I feel in a week or so.

#14 ·
Thanks man. Did you ever notice your lights taking on that greenish look? I only went about 2-3 light coats as I didnt want to cut too much light output. All in all, Im happy with them looking colormatched on my truck.

#16 ·
Yeah, I had the greenish tint as well. I thought about leaving the headlights that color but I am customizing my truck and in the process of blackening it out. So I decided to continue on with the theme.

#17 ·
Is there anyway to get rid of the greenish tint it leaves?

#18 ·
The greenish tint began to fade away as my headlights became darker with each coat. Add a coat or two more and see what you think. That would be all i know to say or do.

#21 ·
I sprayed mine today and they came out looking pretty good, I was a little disapointed with the greenish tint it left though. I did 5 coats of VHT and 2 coats of clear. What do you guys think?

Attachments

#22 ·
I think your headlights came out great. I think I will sand my headlights back down here soon and do them again. I am gonna lighten them up.

#23 ·
Thanks man. Post some pictures when your finished. I'm thinking I'm gonna do my 3rd brake light.

#25 ·
Do the 3rd brake light also, it will look like mine.....

#24 ·
I was actually thinking of tinting my third brake light as well. I am working on completing my grill and front bumper this weekend as well as my cowl. I will hopefully be finished with these projects by this weekend. If I am finished, I will sand them down and do them again next weekend.

#26 ·
Did you spray it on the white part of your 3rd brake light? I think thats the cargo lamp??

#27 ·
No, I taped the cargo light off just like I did on the tails.

#28 ·
Sweet dude looks good

#29 ·
Your tail light and third brake light mods came out really well. I will be doing my third brake light next. I have been busy with my front bumper and grills as of lately.

A horse kicked a large hole in my front bumper years ago and I just got around to repairing it. I was not going to pay three hundred plus dollars to buy a new one. So I repaired it myself. It was really bad and looks damn good now. I cut out the bumper insert and filled in the voids with resin jelly and bondo. It looks better than it did new (lol). I then put some aluminum mesh inside it. Ill submit some photos a little later.

#30 ·
These are few photographs of my truck while receiving it's many new modifications...

My roll pan should be in on tuesday and my cowl induction hood attachment should be complete by end of next weekend. I will be cutting my hood skin this week in preparation for the install.

I tell you what: My bumper is now smoother than the day I purchased the truck (new). It looks really good. The repair of the hood cost me a month of my weekends and approximately fifty dollars. It sure beats spending approximately 400 dollars for new bumper and paint.

Once all modifications are complete I want to paint the truck glossy black with green flames to match my green leds and paintedf interior. Club titan member Sloride has the rims of my dreams (lol). Ill own some one day ( when I saveup enough money).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.