Nissan Titan Forum banner

loss of power after towing.

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Juanrtitan 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Nissan Titan. I have towed a camper 5000 pds. Lately, every time I tow I loose my power torque on take off after Im done towing. and it never recovers. I have changed trans fluid. I use Amsoil in the trans and oil. have a Superchip programed. I still can feel the difference. not as touchy anymore. any ideas?

#2 ·
No good ideas. I assume the fluid level is correct? Any friction material in the fluid?

#4 ·
If this is the case try the throttle position relearn. A search through the forum stickies should provide the procedure.

#5 ·
As I was pondering when this started, I switched from a Airaid filter back to factory box with a drop in k&n filter. The oil on the filter slowed down my air intake. I washed the filter and cleaned the air flow censer. Seems to make a difference. But I'm getting bad gas mileage. 11.5 in city... I have 93k miles and I hear a little ticking when I'm driving at first. I'm thinking I might have bad manifolds. All my fluids are changed regularly with full synthetic fluids.

#6 ·
Manifolds leaks are generally easily detectable when the truck is cold and under load. Cold start the truck, windows down, immediately shift into drive, with the brakes firmly applied increase engine RPM, enough to load up the engine but not enough to overcome the brakes. If there's any exhaust noise coming from the front of the truck it very likely that the manifolds are cracked.

#7 ·
Airfilter oil on the MAF kills mileage and performance. Don't over oil your filter and make a habit of cleaning the MAF at some point after each oiling. I like CRC sensor clean, it's also sold as CRC Mass Airflow Senosr cleaner.

#8 ·
Some questions: What is the behavior of your truck's power when not towing? When did you gauge the 11.5 mpg and what was it before you noticed the problem? I thought about your situation and without an actual diagnosis, here are some thoughts....power loss is generally a fuel delivery issue (not always, but you want to eliminate the obvious first). The issue of the TPS is a good first effort since it's just time, and not money. I don't know where you are located, but in some states, there are EPA testing centers that can test your tailpipe emissions. Any substantive changes could tell you quite a lot of what is wrong. If you get an off spec, you need to pull the plugs and do a plug read to see if over lean or over rich or over worn gap. IF the power issue is always in the low end torque, and not just when towing, then the age of your truck would make me check the following, both O2 sensors for speed and voltage. If those are original, they should be replaced anyway. It could be a Cat issue by disintegration or blocking. If you have the manifold problem.....Cat debris being back hauled into your engine could cause a compression leak....do a compression check! Good luck.

#9 ·
On the fueling suggestion, there is a TSB for low fuel pressure from the sending unit.

#10 ·
It's been 11.5 in gas for a long time. My performance while driving is never the same. Sometimes it feels soft. Other times it feels back to par. I have superchips running 91 at the moment. As you probably know. I just changed the air and fuel sensor less then 5k miles ago. All fluid's are full sin. Ansoil all threw. I checked for the TPS and it's rivited and can't find where to buy it at. Is it common to go out ? I have 94k miles on the Titan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.