Nissan Titan Forum banner

Flex Fuel Question

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bullit92 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience running this?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Ethanol Flex-Fuel is E-85 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85) unless your Titan is Flex-Fuel don't run it. It is 51-85% Ethanol depending on location station etc.

E15 is the opposite (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_ethanol_fuel_mixtures#E15), it could be up to 15% Ethanol. I don't believe we have this in Canada, max 10% Ethanol or E10, so I can't say anything that couldn't be found in a Google search. For the price difference I'd be using Regular, actually I'd tune the Titan and run 91+ Octane.

We ran 91+ Octane in everything because the vehicle called for it (Volvo), was tuned for it (Titan), or to avoid Ethanol for vehicles that sit for prolonged periods (Sled, ATV, Boat, etc). The price difference wasn't worth the lower performance, lower fuel economy or storage issues for us.

#4 ·
That being the case my understanding is you will see improved performance and reduced mileage with E-85. Basically the engine can make more power on E-85 but it requires more fuel to do it, and because ethanol contains less "energy" than regular fuel your mileage will decrease.

#5 ·
E85 has an octane rating in the range of race gas...(100 to 105) and will give mileage that is approx 27% under what you get with 87 Octane regular with or without ethanol. If the eighth "number" in your VIN is a B, then that should indicate an E85 capable Titan. What I can't address....whether the fuel mapping of the ECU is set to auto detect the octane and adapt the map suitable per octane. Higher octane equals slower rate of burn and can, when tuned properly result in a measurable difference in power. How much is dependent on many factors. I haven't seen anything that says Nissan has this ability or not.

Simple math...if the price is 30% less than regular....then you'll break even on operating cost. If not, then you'd need to be a serious tree hugger to use E85.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.