Nissan Titan Forum banner

How To - Install Volant Cold Air Intake

27K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  qx56 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are instructions with pictures on how to remove your old stock air intake system and then replace with the Volant Cold Air Intake System. On a scale of 1 to 5 on difficulty with 1 being the easiest I give this mod a 2. Its quite easy and can be done in probably 30 to 45 minutes.

Originally the thought was to disconnect the battery cable to reset the ECU. Since learning more we figured out it was better to leave it on because the ECU would have less to learn. Do it either way but the generall consensus is that the ECU learns faster if you just leave it connected.

This is a picture of your stock filter box and intake. It is quite restrictive. In about 45 minutes you can follow these directions and install a Volant Cold Air Intake system. It will give your truck a much better unrestricted flow of air. This will improve throttle response as well as add horse power, torque and improve gas mileage. Lets get started by removing the front 2 screws holding the throttle body cover in place. Then lift on the throttle body cover to pop it up off the rubber grommetts in the back.

Next looking at the stock filter box from the front of the truck there is a screw at the right side toward the rear holding the filter box to the truck. Remove this screw.

Next loosen the clamp holding the stock air tube to the throttle body.

Next lets take MAF (mass air flow) sensor out of the stock air tube by removing the 2 screws that hold it in place. Be very carefull here, do not drop or get your fingers all over the part of the sensor that goes in the air tube. Then wrap it with a paper towell or something like that and set it back off to the side where it won't be hit or bumbed into later.

There are 2 breathing tubes connected to the stock air tube. Remove them by pulling on them and squeezing the clamps that hold them. They can be tough to get off.

Remove the stock air tube now by loosening the clamp closest to the filter box. Here you can see the stock air tube removed and the MAF wrapped in paper towell and secured with tape out of the way.

You should have already taken out the screw holding the stock filter box in place. Now there are 2 more screws holding it down that you can't get to. You don't have to. Just pull up on the box and it will pop loose from the rubber grommetts holding it down.Once its out remove the 2 screws.

With everything out now lets get the new filter box ready for installation. Take the rubber gasket provided in the kit and attach it to the large side opening on the new filter box. The hole with the plastic lip around it.

Then attach the reducer sleeve to the new air tube. Its a tight fit you will have to work it on. Then tighten down the supplied clamp.

Now put the new filter box in place. There is a screw that came with kit that will attach the box to the hole left when we took out the 2 screws we couldn't get to on the stock filter box.Get this good and tight.

With the new filter box in place put the blue cone filter inside the box and run the rubber tip end through the hole on the left side of filter box. Attach the end sticking through to the new air tube and tighten down with the provided clamp.

You should already have the reducer sleeve attached to the other end of the new air tube. Now attach the reducer sleeve to the throttle body and tighten down the supplied clamp. Get the sleeve on as far as you can to the lip on the throttle body.

Lets get the paper towell off the MAF now and put it through the small rubber gasket provided with the kit and into the new air tube. It goes in the small opening close to the new filter box. You will have to attach it with the 2 self tapping screws that came with the kit. Its a wierd angle to get at but the screws go right into the plastic with very little force.

Now check everything and make sure all screws and clamps are tightened down well. You are now ready to put the cover on the throttle body and the filter box.

Now there are 2 straight plastic fittings that attach the breathing tubes we removed earlier to the new rubber hoses and attach to the air tube. This is a really tight fit again. You will need some pliers to spueeze the clamps and then slide into the tubes.

Here we have the lid in place on the filter box and screwed into place.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes they have their own cleaning kit.
Yes it is easy to pull the filter. Just 4 screws to open the top of the box. then 1 screw to loosen on the tube and release the filter. It just pulls loose then.
I have no idea about cleaning the MAF sensor. I have heard a lot of stories about how easy they are to damage. I did everything I could not to touch it.
M4ck

#4 ·
m4ck,

thanks for posting this. After I ordered mine and got it in I found there were no instructions for it, and the link on the Volant website doesn't work. Fortunately you had this posted and that saved the day.

#5 ·
Glad to be of service.
M4ck

#6 ·
Whoa, now I find this, where was it this weekend??? My bad.

I would suggest one change in the directions though. Leave the Air Sensor in the old intake tube until you are ready to install it in the Volant system. That way it's safe, you know where it is and it spends little time outside of where it belongs, plus you will remember which side goes up.

#7 ·
strick9 said:
Whoa, now I find this, where was it this weekend??? My bad.

I would suggest one change in the directions though. Leave the Air Sensor in the old intake tube until you are ready to install it in the Volant system. That way it's safe, you know where it is and it spends little time outside of where it belongs, plus you will remember which side goes up.
And disconnect the negative cable not the positive, black one not red.

#8 ·
Good idea with the sensor. Less time having to handle it or have it out where it could get bumped.
m4ck

#9 ·
Word or WARNING!!!!!DO NOT overtighten the bolt that goes down in the bottom of the box. I did this and ripped the nut right out of the metal. I had to undo the inner fender plastic enough to get my habd in there and put a waher with the nut on the backside.

Maybe I shoud not have used the 3/4 drive ratchet. Oops.

I did take it for a little test drive and found I also have the vibaration noise that comes from the dash. I only heard under heavy acceleration though. I will have to drive it on the highway to see if it still exists under normal operating conditions.

#10 ·
Damn, this site needs a spell checker or at least let me edit my reply.

#13 ·
I thought it was there too. Now I do NOT see it. I thought I was LOOSING IT. :roll:

#15 ·
I just got my Volant CAI today, went to install and it doesnt fit....... I referred to M4ck's install guide..everything is peachy EXCEPT that the mounting point of the old air box is hitting the new one and the screw hole on the bottom is out of alignment. its the piece that you take the screw out of in the second pic... someone please help me

#16 ·
You rock M4CK! *golf clap*

#17 ·
Anyone ever think of using a rubber grommet/washer to place between the chassis and the airbox where it bolts on so it could reduce vibration?

I gunned it this morning and i'm getting a vibration in the cab.

Anyone?

#18 ·
just installed my AEM Brute Force CAI just now w/o instructions! just utilized this thread and the tips from everybody! went simple and smooth!! thanks... :excellent:

#19 ·
What a great effort to make the install clear. Thanks. Reading your post and viewing your jpg's it looks as if the Volant filter slides onto the air hole in the Titan fender? Is that correct? Does the Volant have a coupler that fits into the existing fender air hole? Does the Volant filter slide onto this Volant device? Or is this a mispreception?
Thanks again, great post.

#20 ·
StriKing_Cobra said:
Anyone ever think of using a rubber grommet/washer to place between the chassis and the airbox where it bolts on so it could reduce vibration?

I gunned it this morning and i'm getting a vibration in the cab.

Anyone?
I think I may get extra rubber washers or doo-dads and use that as a dampener. But is that was the extra foam pad is for? I didn't use it cause I thought it an extra for the lid.

What gen is the volant pictured in the instructions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.