Nissan Titan Forum banner

How to install remote starter

32K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Qaher 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an 05 CC XE w/preferred package, so some things may be a little different. I got my Bulldog remote starter model RS82 from walmart for bout 40 bucks and it comes with a installation kit which contains a test light that "can" be used on cars to show positive or negative and one remote and I can press my lock button on the OEM fob three times to start and stop the truck. You will need to get a bypass module and I used my valet key in the box. When I write something like (wire is red/blue, that means red wire with blue stripe), and when you connect all your wires, cut two circle all the way around the wire about an inch apart and cut a slice from one circle to the other and pull off the insulation (wires on your truck) and split the wires in the middle making a hole in the center, then strip back the insulation from the remote start wires and put it through the hole in the wire on the truck, close the hole and wrap the remote starter wire around the factory wire and solder them together and cover them in electrical tape. Install took about 4 hours by the time I took pics and stopped to eat.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First thing I did was remove the lower dash panel, there are two phillips screws at the bottom of the lower panel, one on each side. After those come out, just pull from the bottom of the panel (pull up and out toward the back of the truck) and it should pop loose, and depending on what model truck you have, just unhook the switches from the lower panel and push them out from the front. After that you will see a metal cover with four bolts in it. Take the bolts out and lift up on the cover and it will come off. Then the black ring around the key cylinder needs to just be popped out. After that, take the bottom of the top dash cover and pull out and lift up.

Attachments

#3 ·
I have the column shifter so mine was a little bit of a pain to get out but just be careful not to scratch anything like the instrument cluster and it you can work it out. Mine has the dimmer switch and cargo light switch in the upper panel that need to be pushed out from the front also. Next, take the four bolts that hole the instrument cluster out and just lift it out. Mine just has one wiring harness on the back that comes off by pressing the center of the plug and unplugging it. I started to go under the dash and hook all the wires up that way but there was no room or slack to pull the wires down. The same bundle of wires run right behind the instrument cluster. Carefully remove the wire loom and/or tape from the bunch of wires that have a heavy gauge green wire, brown wire, a smaller black/red, and a heavy red one

Attachments

#4 ·
Check the big green wire and you should get 12 volts all the time on this one, this is the constant, this kit has two red wires from the remote starter that need to be hooked up to this wire, I also hooked up my power wire to the bypass module to this wire. There were two starter wires, a brown wire and a light green one, the starter wire from the remote start on this kit is yellow/black and needs to be hooked up to both of these. These will show 12V only when the key is in the crank position.
Next is the ignition wire which should be black/red and show 12V in the run and crank positions and a white wire from the remote starter gets hooked to this one. Next thing is a red accessory wire and a purple one. Hook the white/black wire from the remote starter to both of these.

Attachments

#5 ·
Next look on the back of your dimmer switch which mine was in the upper dash panel and find the red/blue wire and hook up the brown wire from the remote starter to it if you get a positive reading when you turn your park lights on. Next take the lower platic trim that runs along the bottom of the door next to the driver seat loose by pulling up starting at the back of it and pull it toward the back, exposing a white plastic cover with fastners along both sides about every inch or so. Take a small flat screwdriver and insert it in each hole and pry up and toward the center of the white plastic cover to get them loose. I took about five loose on each side.

Attachments

#6 ·
Find the purple wire and you should get a positive reading when you press the lock button on the remote. This needs to be a negative reading for the factory fob to start the truck. To change this you can get a cheap relay from walmart or any auto parts store. The relays are usually numbered but you will have to put female connectors on to connect to the relay. Hook a wire up to the number 30 and 85 terminals and hook the other side to ground (you can hook these and the ground from the bypass and remote starter to the bundle of ground wires under the steering column). Hook the blue wire from the remote starter to the number 87 terminal and run a wire from the numer 86 terminal to the purple wire you just found. You should now get a negative reading from the 87 terminal when you press the lock button on the factory fob.

Attachments

#7 ·
Next hook up the blue/black wire from the remote starter to the red/green or red/black wire coming from the switch on the brake pedal which will read positive when you press the brake. Next run the long black/blue wire through the firewall and ignore the hood pin switch that comes with the kit and get a mercury switch and hook one side of the switch to the wire you just run and ground the other wire from the switch. Just find a good place to mount the switch so that it makes contact when the hood is OPEN.
If you want to hook up the tach wire which I did. Find a ignition coil and under the hood and hook up the black/white wire from the remote starter to the wire (any color except white/blue or black).

Attachments

#10 ·
After that plug everything up and this remote starter requires you to hold the brake and press a button on the remote to take it out of safe mode. Next, try to start it. If it cranks you can start using wire ties and tidying up all the wires and putting everything back together in reverse order. Make sure and try the starter after you put each piece back to make sure you didn't move or unhook anything. I moved the ring around the ignition switch and had go back and figure out what was wrong. If it dosen't start on the first try, go back and check all your connections are tight and nothing was forgotten to be hooked up and make sure you have a key in the bypass module. I just did this to maybe simplify installation a little cause some of the books with remote starters are a pain, some things will differ with different remote starters, especially the programming. If you get this one and would like to keep using your factory fob, just follow the programming instruction with the kit and when you hit the lock button three times, it should start and go off when you hit it three more times. Hope it helps and I didn't forget anything.

Attachments

#11 ·
Where did you get your bypass module?
James

#12 ·
Great write up!

#14 ·
I've been waiting a few years for a write up like this. Thank you very much! But after Goval's fiasco with his and my little to no experience with remote starts I still think I'll leave it up to the pros.

#15 ·
Another great write up by a fellow CT member...

#16 ·
Awesome write up! Having done a bunch of these, you may want to invest in an inline style wire stripper. It peels the insulation back without having to cut the circles that you have mentioned.

#17 ·
RedViper98 said:
inline style wire stripper.
Best invention ever!!!

#18 ·
thanks for the comments, i'm so used to stripping wire that i can do that pretty quick but actually thought about that stripper because it would be good in the hard to reach spots. lately, i've done my truck, my stepdad's f-150, mom's crv, wife's sentra, our old explorer, and getting ready to do a jeep liberty for a girl my old lady knows, she said she would pay me couple hundred bucks to do it, local places wanted about 465.00 for the cheapest.

#20 ·
DANK DA KID said:
so its the same, for any brand of remote starters? such as the seventy dollar ones at autozone?
Most starters should hook up like this with a few minor different details, but that is why I put my model number up. most of the main wires will be the same, maybe a different color but the same function, other remote starters may or may not have more or less wires, but they all hook up basically the same. The wires on the truck according to the wiring diagrams I've found should be the same.

#21 ·
Please help me out.. I am having problem with bypass JBS 791 universal bypass module. The car wont start. what am i doing wrong? if i put the spare key in the egnition and hit the remote it does start, but wont start when the spare in the bypass box. need help with wires coming out of the box. I thing the red is the constat +12v and the blue is ground!!!??? and orange for ground!!!! I have to continue tomorrow afternoon with the installation..
Thank you,, i will wait for an answer for another 1/2 hour.

#22 · (Edited)
One of the wires should be +12v, one will be ground, and the other will be a negative status wire(prob the blue one...but not 100% sure). There should be a (-) status output wire on the remote start; it will send a ground signal when the RS is activated and usually the entire time the RS is running the truck. Find those two wires (one on the RS and one on the bypass mod) and hook them up together. You also might want to check that the ring or whatever "antenna" the unit comes with is positioned correctly as well as your 12v source...make sure you're getting 12v through the wire to the bypass (usually there's an inline fuse).

#24 ·
Qaher said:
Please help me out.. I am having problem with bypass JBS 791 universal bypass module. The car wont start. what am i doing wrong? if i put the spare key in the egnition and hit the remote it does start, but wont start when the spare in the bypass box. need help with wires coming out of the box. I thing the red is the constat +12v and the blue is ground!!!??? and orange for ground!!!! I have to continue tomorrow afternoon with the installation..
Thank you,, i will wait for an answer for another 1/2 hour.
What kind of remote start do you have (brand, model)? Hook the red wire to a constant 12v power source. The orange wire is the ground. I read on the bypass module you have that you need to hook the blue wire to the wire from the remote starter that is identified in your starter manual as "ignition output /neg", or sometimes listed as "security bypass output wire". Make sure when you put your key in the box that it is a key that can start the truck and put the plastic part of the key inside the loop in the box. Then hook up the wire that has a loop in it to the bypass module and wrap the loop around the ignition and make sure there isn't any slack in the loop. You may have to move the loop on the switch a little until the ignition senses the key. Basically the bypass box reads the key, sends the signal through the wire, to the loop and the igniton gets the signal as if the key were in the switch. If it doesn't sense the key from the box through the loop, it won't start.

Attachments

#25 ·
src4usarmy - Thank you for the excellent write-up. Heck I'm even thinking I can do it myself.

Excellent Instructor!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.