Toomnymods
SHIFT_Track_ADDICT
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Toomnymods Send a message via Yahoo to Toomnymods
my short belt mod :)

Well after pulling the serpentine belt and idler pulley, and taking 2hrs or so to try to pull off the fan pulley and the mount i realized that this was going to be much much tougher than anticipated..

Being that the a/c compressor mounts with 1 bolt to the bottom of the fan pulley mounting hardware i decided i had to cut the fan pulley mount so i could still maintain strength thru the fan mount ( for the pulley) i shaved it down so it would't rub by going from the top pulley down to the a/c pulley (which bypasses the fan pulley and idler) Believe me this fan definatly has a LOT OF restriction on the motor, the pulleys weigh in around 2lbs combined and you can try to spin it but the pulley for the fan won't even spin 1/2 turn without stopping from restriction, so thier is without a doubt a gain of 5hp just by bypassing that IMO.. This is why I probably didnt see any gains from removing the stock fans and going to the electric fans cause we havent bypassed the idler and the restrictive fan pulley.. I plan to get this re-dynoed in arlington when i return to see what gains i got from removing those 2 pulleys for everyday driving..

As for the track pulley I can't bypass the powersteering cause i'd have to have the teeth ( or grooved part) of the pulley facing the tensioner which would be bad, it is supposed to have the flat part of the belt against it, so bypassing the power steering can't be accomplished unless a idler is put in on the right side of the motor (which imo wouldnt be worth it) But i was able to bypass the a/c compressor, fan pulley, and the idler pulley on the left side of the motor, im hoping this shows some good gains for 4-5 hrs of frustration,lol

will letcha know how she does at the track if it stops raining this weekend :/

The street pulley goes from 8 to 5
The track pulley goes from 8 to 4

05' Blizzard White 4X2 KC SE SOLD
Performance mods: Toomany... click here for info:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2685188

Videos are here: Http://www.youtube.com/user/Toomnymods?feature=mhum
12.3@109mph 7/9/10 HRP (New times coming soon!!)
93 Octane Map 523 RWHP / 573 TQ 1/31/13

New Ride: 2014 Sterling Gray Mustang Gt 3.73's, MT82 Trans, JLT Carbon fiber CAI, Bama 93R Tune, Borla S Catback, DSS Alum driveshaft, BMR springs, LCA, UCA, UCA mount, Panhard, Panhard brace, LCA Relo brackets, Viking Dbl adj shocks, Strange Adj struts, GT500 USM's, MGW shifter

Last edited by Toomnymods; 07-06-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM
KINGMADE
Creator of the DUMBEST thread ever!
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try to get some videos of you running if you can.

#3 Old 07-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Toomnymods
SHIFT_Track_ADDICT
Shift_Obsessed

i bought a brand new camcorder a sony dcr-sr42 with 40X optical zoom and it has image stabilization just for the sole purpose of videoing track stuff only problem is i won't have a camera man,lol and i'm not leaving my camera with a stranger..

Performance mods: Toomany... click here for info:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2685188

New Ride: 2014 Sterling Gray Mustang Gt 3.73's, MT82 Trans, JLT Carbon fiber CAI, Bama 93R Tune, Borla S Catback, DSS Alum driveshaft, BMR springs, LCA, UCA, UCA mount, Panhard, Panhard brace, LCA Relo brackets, Viking Dbl adj shocks, Strange Adj struts, GT500 USM's, MGW shifter

#4 Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 AM
KINGMADE
Shift_Obsessed

I am going to get some velcro to attach mine to the dash.

#5 Old 07-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Rossi
Go fast tester
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The tensioner is not a grooved pulley...it is flat...hard steel Chris.

You won't hurt that thing one bit having the teeth up against it for a mile or two.......I dont' think there would be a problem having it that way perm!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18314245878.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	29512  

2006 SE Crew Cab Big Tow Sold 5-25-2010
1/8 8.79 @ 77.45 1/4 13.89 @ 95.99

#6 Old 07-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Toomnymods
SHIFT_Track_ADDICT
Shift_Obsessed

does your crank slip off the belt any at WOT?? only like 4" of the belt is even touchin the crank with it run that way that's nother reason i decided not to do it that way..

#7 Old 07-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Rossi
Go fast tester
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The way I do it there is no difference.....

Now the way you wanted it set up....not sure if you will get enough grab to work.

But look at the top pic on my attachment......I get plenty of grab.

2006 SE Crew Cab Big Tow Sold 5-25-2010
1/8 8.79 @ 77.45 1/4 13.89 @ 95.99

#8 Old 02-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Daniel Sabin
Shift_Enthusiast

Found a 7 rib belt that fits good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomnymods
Well after pulling the serpentine belt and idler pulley, and taking 2hrs or so to try to pull off the fan pulley and the mount i realized that this was going to be much much tougher than anticipated..

Being that the a/c compressor mounts with 1 bolt to the bottom of the fan pulley mounting hardware i decided i had to cut the fan pulley mount so i could still maintain strength thru the fan mount ( for the pulley) i shaved it down so it would't rub by going from the top pulley down to the a/c pulley (which bypasses the fan pulley and idler) Believe me this fan definatly has a LOT OF restriction on the motor, the pulleys weigh in around 2lbs combined and you can try to spin it but the pulley for the fan won't even spin 1/2 turn without stopping from restriction, so thier is without a doubt a gain of 5hp just by bypassing that IMO.. This is why I probably didnt see any gains from removing the stock fans and going to the electric fans cause we havent bypassed the idler and the restrictive fan pulley.. I plan to get this re-dynoed in arlington when i return to see what gains i got from removing those 2 pulleys for everyday driving..

As for the track pulley I can't bypass the powersteering cause i'd have to have the teeth ( or grooved part) of the pulley facing the tensioner which would be bad, it is supposed to have the flat part of the belt against it, so bypassing the power steering can't be accomplished unless a idler is put in on the right side of the motor (which imo wouldnt be worth it) But i was able to bypass the a/c compressor, fan pulley, and the idler pulley on the left side of the motor, im hoping this shows some good gains for 4-5 hrs of frustration,lol

will letcha know how she does at the track if it stops raining this weekend :/

The street pulley goes from 8 to 5
The track pulley goes from 8 to 4

Thanks for the PM Toomnymods my son wanted to finish the mod after I went to work. He wants a Titan but can't afford one. LOL

The Gates/Napa Micro-V belt part number 070786 seven rib 79 1/8 inch belt is a great fit for Toomnymods short belt mod.

On the adjuster it is right at the middle mark and having all seven ribs on the pulleys is nice but I think Toomnymods is correct 6 or even 5 ribs would be OK with the reduction in power need from his mod.

Thanks Toomnymods for a great mod I have Chevy people asking about this mod and how they could do something like it. LOL
#9 Old 02-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Toomnymods
SHIFT_Track_ADDICT
Shift_Obsessed

do you like the results?? seems to accelerate ever so slightly faster from 0-40mph or so.. 60's didnt drop but im sure this mod doesnt hurt.. this truck has a lot of rotational mass to turn and that is robbing hp..

#10 Old 02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
KINGMADE
Shift_Obsessed

you still working on locating some crank pulleys?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode