User Tag List

#1 Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 PM
WyoTITAN
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angry Broke Front Diff...Weak Link

To start, my local salvage yard came through. They had a used diff in 1 day for $550, not too bad considering a dealer would have charged me at least $1200 for parts and it would have taken them more than 2 days to get one (I know...I went through that in July).

Taking out the broken pos was not too bad, and it did not require taking apart the bracket for the lift. Digging into the old diff, I found two broken C-clips and a shirred off bolt on one of them and a mess of broken ring teeth (which was the direct result of the broken C-clips). So I developed a question, why is Nissan using case aluminum C-clips on a truck that develops 280+ horse power at the wheels...more than a 1 ton running Dana 60's 25 years ago?! I've heard of this part breaking before, so why hasn't there been a recall. The replacement of these would not take a dealer too long to perform. I'm not saying that it would completely fix the weak axle, but it is a step in the right direction.

So my question is, how do I go about disposing of the old axle? Do I take it to the dealership with the video clip that clearly shows that I was not abusing the truck and have them refund my money lost on a used diff and not push the issue any further? Or do I send the pictures and video clips to Nissan directly? I am so irritated that this truck that I paid $36,000 bucks for will NOT pull back wards without coming apart! Here are some pictures of the broken parts inside the front diff:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2318.JPG
Views:	1363
Size:	713.1 KB
ID:	42408

Name:	PICT2320.JPG
Views:	718
Size:	676.3 KB
ID:	42409

Name:	PICT2325.JPG
Views:	730
Size:	762.2 KB
ID:	42410

Name:	PICT2322.JPG
Views:	774
Size:	744.2 KB
ID:	42411

Here is the video clip to illustrate the pull: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/s...ens_204255.htm

“Powder River, Let ‘er Buck”

6" Pro Comp Stage 1, Radflo 2.5 Coils, Modified Reservoir Brackets, 3" Deaver Mini Pack, Bilstien Rear Shocks, 3" Pro Comp Aluminum Block, Buckstop Bumper, Modified Factory Skid Plate, 150 Watt KC Hilites, AmSoil Air Filter, Retrax Tonneau Cover, Northern Tool Toolbox, 35" Dick Cepek Mud Country, 17X9 Dick Cepek Black DC-1, Color Matched Bush Wacker Fender Flares, 2* Timing Advance, Factory Installed(Hood Guard, Step Rails, Under Seat Storage Box), Pinch Weld Mod, Jack/Shovel/Axe Mount, Acetal LCA Spacers, BD Tuned, JBA Exhaust, Airlift Air Bags, Power Slot Brake Rotors and Pads, car seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2008, 09:39 PM
scottsbro23
Shift_Hardcore

WOW Cast aluminum carrier bearing caps???? Thats nuts...and from DANA no-less...Only reason I could see for that is for weight savings..but come on how much lighter are the than steel? I could see them using cast aluminum ones in a all wheeldrive crossover or some other small SUV..but not in a fullsize truck.

RIP Bobby Godspeed Brutha

Happiness Is Beating Bama in Anything, Anytime, Anywhere

“I'll keep my Freedom, my Money and My Guns, YOU Keep the CHANGE"

04' LE 4x4 CC OR BT, PRG Mini Kit, Shackles & OR T-Bars, Toyo 35" M/T's, 08' Rear End, 09 Ranchos, Activetuning, 8000K HID Low/Sylvania Highs & Turns, Flowmaster, VOLANT, UpRev 2 deg, JL Audio Cleansweep, Kenwood Subs, Vshortt Custom Box, Clarion & Sony Amps, Cadence 6.5 Comps, 9" Stubby Ant. AVS, Custom Painted Engine Cover IV

SEMPER FI
WAR EAGLE
#3 Old 12-13-2008, 01:18 AM
skeet
Shift_Hardcore

Pulling in reverse with these trucks are a definite no no.
#4 Old 12-13-2008, 09:05 AM
DevilDawg
Shift_Hardcore

I know a guy at work getting $.92 a pound for aluminum. Might be a way to recoup some of your loss.

"I'll keep my freedom,
my guns, and my money -
you can keep THE CHANGE".

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

2008 SE Crewcab 4x4 Longbed
Timberline/Almond
#5 Old 12-13-2008, 09:37 AM
honeykeeper
Shift_Enthusiast

Now that sucks........WOW on the video...I hope that helps you get a refund!
I feel your pain. Had the rear differential go a few weeks ago and no help from the SM or NISSAN.
They should have warned owners not to use reverse in 4x4 with a tow load.........but who would buy one that really uses a truck for Off-Road heavy duty use?
I raise and lower my tilting wind generator towering in reverse using the tow hooks and a line and pulley in 4 wheel-lo.......so far no problems.
Let us know how the SM and NISSAN treats you.

Don't forget to report it to the NHTSA.
Search for a Complaint: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/ Note: click on vehicle.
Defects/Recalls: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ Note: click on vehicle.
Online Complaint Form: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm Note: takes about 8-10 minutes to fill out form and 24-48 hrs. your case #/file to list on site.

Bilstein shocks, Deaver Springs, Total Chaos Shackles, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar, TrueTrac, Mag-Hytek.
ARE Z shell, OEM bug/rock deflector, Lund AVS Ventvisors, Bushwhacker-notched-Fender Flares, OEM Dual Lower Sliding Trays, White Night Backup Lights, Drawtite Activator II trailer-e-brake control, Super-Z-Winter Traction Cables, Dueler AT REVO Tires, Nitrogen in tires, Rear Axle Vent Mod., NISSAN I-POD adapter, Bosch Icon blades, Optima Red Top Battery.
Amsoil: SEVERE GEAR 75-140W Synthetic In Rear and Front Differential, ATF Synthetic in Transfer Case,
Series 2000 0-30W synthetic engine oil, EAO13 oil filter, EaA104 Nano-fiber engine air filter
#6 Old 12-13-2008, 10:16 AM
05StealthTitan
Shift_Newbie

pulling somethig backwords is never a good idea especialy on a ifs equiped truck. espesialy with that dodge being as stuck as it was. i hope you can get some of your loss back. it is stupid to use all aluminm. but even if i had a cast iron diff i would not pull a truck out backwards
#7 Old 12-13-2008, 05:57 PM
MDJamesD
Shift_Fanatic

When you were pulling him out in reverse, you were putting the load on the back side of the gear teeth. it's not a design flaw, that's how all gear teeth are cut.
#8 Old 12-13-2008, 07:13 PM
titanman2
Shift_Hardcore

i wwould not take that to the dealer. that is clearly not what that truck is designed for. sorry but thats just my .02

2011 Silver 4 door titan SV- BONE STOCK!!!
2007 Altima 3.5 SE
2007 StarCraft 25' Travel Trailer
#9 Old 12-13-2008, 09:45 PM
4mula1fan
Shift_Enthusiast

That really blows... it should pull sideways if we wanted to!!!!!!!

2008 Crew Cab Pro 4X, Red Alert air box mod...OOOHHH YEAH!!!! 07 Clipper 1465HST Trail Ready pop up. 5400# MONSTER!
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/vbpi...do=view&g=1968
#10 Old 12-14-2008, 12:11 AM
skeet
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan
That really blows... it should pull sideways if we wanted to!!!!!!!
I agree.I never heard of not pulling anything in reverse until I bought a Titan.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode