User Tag List

#1 Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
04titanss
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
TrueTrac Safety Wire Bolts

FYI for anyone that is planning to Safety Wire the bolts on there TT. You can order the 3/8"-24 Drilled Head Grade 8 Bolts from this place Northwest Fastener 11320 FM 529, Bldg. F Houston, Texas 77041. Web Site: http://www.northwestfastener.com/

Minimum order is $25, or 17 Bolts, This is cheaper than the Drill Jig to drill out plain G8 bolts. They only have them with a 1/8" Drilled Head Hole in a 1" length so a lock washer will be needed to take up the difference in length, 7/8" is stock TT length., I ordered mine Today and will install in about a week, with the 272 Loctite. A Safety Wire kit local sells for $40.

PDF of order sheet, Total is $38.02 Shipped.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Drilled Head Bolts.pdf (5.8 KB, 163 views)

2004 XE KC Performance Mods: UNDER GROUND
Quickest UNTUNED Titan 13.900 @ 96.67mph
N/A Tuned Non Cammed 13.180@102.31

04 XE Mod List

Rosetta Stone by HRTKD Part Number List by baseballfanz

07 Pipes w/ 22" M/F Sound Clip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Modfreak
Shift_Fanatic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will the zinc plating be an issue inside of a liquid filled and heat soaked environment? I think the Detroit bolts are either plain or black oxide finish. And usually the coatings are for a reason. Might wanna check some heat properties or other applications before throwing them in.

Thanks for the post.

AEM intake, JWT cams, JBA headers & catback, Dyna-tech cats, TB bypass, PML tranny pan w/sender, Stillen radiator,Tranny cooler & Uprev tuned!!

Brembo GT brakes, drilled rear rotors, Stillen brake stiffener, Goodridge brake lines, Tru-trac, Radflo 2.0 coilovers & Icon shocks, PRG shackles & traction bars, Stillen diff cover & anti-sway bar

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
#3 Old 09-22-2009, 01:29 PM
04titanss
Shift_Obsessed

Looks like the Zinc is to keep rust from forming and has No effect on the bolt strenght: http://www.springerlink.com/content/k230767738542748/

http://www.flowserve.com/files/Files...-2009-06-e.pdf

These will be safety wires, so there will be No way for them to back out.

04 XE Mod List

#4 Old 09-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Modfreak
Shift_Fanatic

I am aware of the reason of the plating. What I am NOT aware of is the type of environment you are subjecting it to. There is probably a reason a black oxide or no coating at all is on the factory bolts from Eaton.

AEM intake, JWT cams, JBA headers & catback, Dyna-tech cats, TB bypass, PML tranny pan w/sender, Stillen radiator,Tranny cooler & Uprev tuned!!

Brembo GT brakes, drilled rear rotors, Stillen brake stiffener, Goodridge brake lines, Tru-trac, Radflo 2.0 coilovers & Icon shocks, PRG shackles & traction bars, Stillen diff cover & anti-sway bar

#5 Old 09-22-2009, 02:08 PM
04titanss
Shift_Obsessed

I called Zimmer Gear a local Rearend Rebuilder they do all types from stock to Drag Racing to Heavy Industrial and they say they use Loctite and the Zinc Plated Grade 8 bolts All the time. Rearends are there Speciality. If they are good for a ring gear that has a lot more stress on it than the TT bolts I am going to install these with No doubts on them breaking.

04 XE Mod List

#6 Old 09-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Toomnymods
SHIFT_Track_ADDICT
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Toomnymods Send a message via Yahoo to Toomnymods
goodjob for this find.. will be ordering mine this week as well, being a airframer for the marine corps f/a-18 all i did my first 4 yrs was safety wire nuts after installing components into the aircraft, it is simple, but dont overtighten the wire..

05' Blizzard White 4X2 KC SE SOLD
Performance mods: Toomany... click here for info:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2685188

Videos are here: Http://www.youtube.com/user/Toomnymods?feature=mhum
12.3@109mph 7/9/10 HRP (New times coming soon!!)
93 Octane Map 523 RWHP / 573 TQ 1/31/13

New Ride: 2014 Sterling Gray Mustang Gt 3.73's, MT82 Trans, JLT Carbon fiber CAI, Bama 93R Tune, Borla S Catback, DSS Alum driveshaft, BMR springs, LCA, UCA, UCA mount, Panhard, Panhard brace, LCA Relo brackets, Viking Dbl adj shocks, Strange Adj struts, GT500 USM's, MGW shifter

#7 Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Modfreak
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomnymods View Post
goodjob for this find.. will be ordering mine this week as well, being a airframer for the marine corps f/a-18 all i did my first 4 yrs was safety wire nuts after installing components into the aircraft, it is simple, but dont overtighten the wire..
You should have access to some bins with Mil-spec drilled head bolts where you work.

#8 Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM
04titanss
Shift_Obsessed

I did tell the sales person i was going to post this on the boards and they may get a lot of call ordering these.

04 XE Mod List

#9 Old 09-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Modfreak
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04titanss View Post
I called Zimmer Gear a local Rearend Rebuilder they do all types from stock to Drag Racing to Heavy Industrial and they say they use Loctite and the Zinc Plated Grade 8 bolts All the time. Rearends are there Speciality. If they are good for a ring gear that has a lot more stress on it than the TT bolts I am going to install these with No doubts on them breaking.
Let me try and explain my concern better. It is not the strength of the bolts that worries me. It is the coating applied, and introduced into an environment that it may not be meant for. The heat and liquid may cause the finish to come off or cause some kind of chemical issue. I'm prolly overthinking this, but I have worked in the hardware/fastener business for over 10 years and there are reasons for different coatings. I am already concerned with the Tru-trac failure as is, and i surely dont want to make it worse. Besides the bolts werent shearing or breaking, only backing out.

#10 Old 09-22-2009, 02:21 PM
mr_magoo
Shift_lurker

Thank you for a source for Grade8 drilled head bolts. I had not been able to find any after spending considerable time. I was only able to find grade5 with the drilled head.

Before you found those bolts, I was considering drilling a hole for a 3/32" spring pin next to the hex flat of the 3/8" bolts to keep them from backing out. Unfortunately, the Trutrac end cap wasn't scratched by the standard 3/32" hss drill I tried. I was going to try a harder drill next.

How are you going to wire the bolts that sit by themselves? The ones that are next to each other get wired as pairs, but two per side sit alone.

Also, be aware that you want pretty hard washers. The reason I say that is because the tensile load on the bolts must be huge for them to be coming loose. This huge tensile load will put a huge compressive load on the washers. Personally, I might try shortening the bolts without overheating them to the stock 7/8" length.

Thanks again for the source.

Mike

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode