Cold Weather- sometimes engine turns over but won't fire - Nissan Titan Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-10-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
danpenn
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cold Weather- sometimes engine turns over but won't fire

Bought my 2007 Titan last Spring. Had no starting problems until outside overnight temperatures dropped into teens and twentys this Winter. After cold soaking overnight, engine would fire right up sometimes but sometimes would turn over but not fire. Bought new battery. Didn't correct problem. Just had IPDM replaced. Didn't correct problem.

- when failing to start after night of cold temperatures:
Battery and starter seem to be turning engine very well, but no firing at all.
When not firing, if jumper to wife's car's battery, fires up instantly.

Could the starter be too weak at cold temperatures? One person told me he had similar problem with another type vehicle and had to replace the starter. If you know the fix to this problem, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
blacksmith37
Shift_Fanatic

I doubt it is the starter motor. In the days of carburators (and even 6 V batteries) , I have had cars start with very slow cranking speeds.
Any chance something is not correct with the new IPDM ? What about the fuses in the battery connector (wild guess) ?
I had a GMC and a VW that would not start unless you put a splash of gasoline into the injector body ; then they both ran perfectly .

2004 LE KC, Copper (gold), K&N Filter, Armada Dam, booster springs, XM radio, Painted engine cover and hitch.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2010, 02:42 PM
SMOKEDYA2
Shift_Hardcore

did the battery you got have enough cold cranking amps? I have no problems with mine in sub-zero weather and my battery is 800 cold cranking amps.

IRC VK56 Member "Promotions Crew"
Randy

0 to 60 in 5.66 seconds
1/4 mile in 13.91@96.15mph

04' XE King 4x4 Smoke, uprev tuned, trutrac, transgo shift kit, doug thorley long tube headers, Gibson Y pipe, magnaflow muff, ram air, K&N FIPK intake, 07 intake manifold, 170* t-stat, 2 1/4 b-pipes, NGK iridium plugs, relentless catch can, TB bypass, TB screen removed, 2 ga. grounding kit, 05 rear diff cover, 17" custom painted SSC rims, Sony 1100 w digi amp, 2 kenwood 10's, 20 % window tint, 2/4 belltech/springtech drop, MrGrille 4pcs insert, armada airdam, custom painted bumper, nightshade tails, and DDM 8000k HID's
post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM
NBhunter80
Shift_Enthusiast

Have you checked your terminals? Perhaps you have a bad terminal that is not allowing enough power to crank the motor when it is cold. Also, perhaps your battery is a dud? What kind of battery did you get and what are the specs? My Optima yellow top D34 with 750CCA fires my truck up every time even when it is -40 degrees and the truck has not been run in weeks.

2005 LE King Cab 4x4 Offroad Big Tow FFV, Purchased used on 2008/11/30.

Radiant Silver with charcoal leather interior, black Nissan OEM brush guard, 33 x12.50r17LT Hercules Trail Digger tires on OEM OR 7-spoke 17" rims, 3" Rough country Lift, Bilstein 5100s front and rear, Hawk LTS brake pads, MOOG lower ball joints, 2011 Pro4x rear end, Axle vent mod, NGK iridium spark plugs, 2 degree timing advance, Stock airbox mod with K&N filter, Magnaflow 14" SI/SO muffler on stock pipes with T304 stainless double-wall tip, Optima Yellow Top battery, OEM Rockford Fosgate audio system, Protecta chrome tool box, 6000K HID headlights, TomTom GO 920 Navigation system.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 PM
dspann
Shift_lurker

Same year truck, same problem. Finally, check engine light came on. Dealer found that the air cleaner had not been changed for 50,000 by their "professionaly trained technicians". Anyhow, replaced filter, problem stopped. They did replace the rear O2 sensor, but I think the filter was the problem. Truck sat in drive for 2 days at 10deg.F, fired up this morning just fine. Worth a try.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-01-2010, 02:39 PM
baseballfanz
SHIFT_Mr. Quick Answers
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to baseballfanz Send a message via MSN to baseballfanz Send a message via Yahoo to baseballfanz
Here's some infos on it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NTB04-111b.pdf (121.4 KB, 1082 views)

Titan/Armada part numbers

Nissan's OBD II codes

Truetrac 305.5 WHP 370.4 ft/lbs tq.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
danpenn
Shift_lurker

How thread initiators cold-start problem was resolved

Thanks all for your inputs. Dealer had to replace both the IPDM and the main computer (I don't have service invoice in front of me now, and I can't remember the proper name of the computer. But it's the one that the federal government says must be warrantied in all vehicles for 8 years; that one.) The senior tech said they found the IPDM was bad by tapping on it and observing changes in output functions. They thought that would solve the problem, couldn't verify because daily low temps had risen too high for cold soak. Next cold front came in a week later and truck would not start, exhibited same symptoms as original ones. Went back to dealer. Dealer checked with NISSAN. NISSAN recommended testing main computer by putting in freezer to cold soak and test for errors. That uncovered error condition that wouldn't allow secondary power to the IPDM (if I remember correctly what the senior tech told me). Brought the truck back home. Daily low temps have since dropped to levels at which truck would not start before. Now truck starts right up. Problem resolved by replacing both IPDM and main computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode