User Tag List

post #1 of 6 Old 07-13-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
WyoTITAN
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifted Titan CV Boot Replacement

As some of you know, the passenger side upper CV boot rubs on itself and will eventually wear through. Mine finally did after about 40,000 miles on the lift. So I check around for a boot replacement...there isn't one. You have to replace the whole shaft?! Anyway, long story short the axle was around $80 with an $80 core charge, not too bad considering how much of a pain it would be to take the CV joint apart to change the boot. I got the new one at Car Quest in one day. Got the two and put them side by side and noticed that the lower boot on the new one is silicon rubber (same as the factory upper) instead of the plastic boot, and the upper boot is clamped further down the shaft. Both good things. Few pics, takes about an hour to change:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-07-12 19.32.55.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	687.2 KB
ID:	47289

Name:	2010-07-12 19.36.20.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	47290
Notice the ribs are not touching, this is at full extension:

Name:	2010-07-12 20.05.26.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	563.3 KB
ID:	47291

“Powder River, Let ‘er Buck”

6" Pro Comp Stage 1, Radflo 2.5 Coils, Modified Reservoir Brackets, 3" Deaver Mini Pack, Bilstien Rear Shocks, 3" Pro Comp Aluminum Block, Buckstop Bumper, Modified Factory Skid Plate, 150 Watt KC Hilites, AmSoil Air Filter, Retrax Tonneau Cover, Northern Tool Toolbox, 35" Dick Cepek Mud Country, 17X9 Dick Cepek Black DC-1, Color Matched Bush Wacker Fender Flares, 2* Timing Advance, Factory Installed(Hood Guard, Step Rails, Under Seat Storage Box), Pinch Weld Mod, Jack/Shovel/Axe Mount, Acetal LCA Spacers, BD Tuned, JBA Exhaust, Firestone Air Bags, 4" spacers, Daystar Cradles, Power Slot Brake Rotors and Pads, Hallmark Ute Camper, car seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 PM
shiftrus
Shift_Enthusiast

its good to hear someone builds stuff properly
post #3 of 6 Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Steamin'
Shift_lurker

Good info. My passenger side just developed a crack about a week ago. 4x4 parts does have a replacement boot. It's the cheapest way to go but replacing the whole thing is probably easier.

2010 Titan CC Pro-4x, PRG Extended Travel Package w/ 1" block, Nitto Trail Graps 295/70R18, BDGT, Nismo CAI, Magnaflow 22", Grillcraft MX Black
post #4 of 6 Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Taigon
Shift_Newbie

WYOTITAN,
did a dealership told you that you could get a new one or did you only check with aftermarket places?

If anybody needs the part number for the inner boot, it's 39741-7S026. It's fairly easy to do. Driver side was a bit hard due to less space from the diff. But I pretty much did it on my truck without having to jack the truck up.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
WyoTITAN
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taigon View Post
WYOTITAN,
did a dealership told you that you could get a new one or did you only check with aftermarket places?

If anybody needs the part number for the inner boot, it's 39741-7S026. It's fairly easy to do. Driver side was a bit hard due to less space from the diff. But I pretty much did it on my truck without having to jack the truck up.
No, just looking at how hard it was to change out a boot, I decided the $80 ($175 with core charge) it cost to change the whole thing was worth it. To change out the cv shaft, all you have to do it jack up the truck, undo the upper ball joint, and remove the shaft (it might help with the lift).

-TJ

“Powder River, Let ‘er Buck”

6" Pro Comp Stage 1, Radflo 2.5 Coils, Modified Reservoir Brackets, 3" Deaver Mini Pack, Bilstien Rear Shocks, 3" Pro Comp Aluminum Block, Buckstop Bumper, Modified Factory Skid Plate, 150 Watt KC Hilites, AmSoil Air Filter, Retrax Tonneau Cover, Northern Tool Toolbox, 35" Dick Cepek Mud Country, 17X9 Dick Cepek Black DC-1, Color Matched Bush Wacker Fender Flares, 2* Timing Advance, Factory Installed(Hood Guard, Step Rails, Under Seat Storage Box), Pinch Weld Mod, Jack/Shovel/Axe Mount, Acetal LCA Spacers, BD Tuned, JBA Exhaust, Firestone Air Bags, 4" spacers, Daystar Cradles, Power Slot Brake Rotors and Pads, Hallmark Ute Camper, car seat
post #6 of 6 Old 09-08-2010, 01:22 AM
titan_boomer
Shift_lurker

WyoTITAN

WyoTITAN

Hey could I possibly pick your brain of exactly how you did this..... I am doing it this Friday and need a little help if you don't mind. I understand undo the upper ball joint but can you explain in more detail via email or something with pics..... would be greatly appreciated...... Also sorry for your loss on the football team (Wyoming Football Team car wreck).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode