User Tag List

#1 Old 08-07-2011, 12:44 PM
mytmax98
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Programable key?

My first Titan that I bought brand new from the dealership in Anchorage came with three keys. One of these keys was a valet key. I bought my 07 LE used and abused. It came with one key and it wasn't even a nissan key. I read somewhere that when you buy a new key for the Titans, they need to be programed at the dealership. Is this true? I have never heard this before. I want to make a copy of my key so my wife will have one. Thanks.

Dusted a Hemi Rumblebee on the test drive...Enough said!
Raced two, beat two.

2007 Titan LE C/C Injen intake, MBRP cat back exhaust, 22" Velocity rims, Undercover tonneau, r1 concepts cross drilled/slotted rotors, pioneer appradio 2, Big Tow, Tinted windows.

2010 Cube SV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2011, 12:54 PM
TA CC TX
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Did that for my wifes toyota sure nissan does same for Titan , be ready to spend some cheese thou toyota charged me around 180 for that fancy a$$ key!

04 cc bt offroad pkg / RB UPREV Tuned / DTLT's/ JBA catback/16" Borla XR-1/ vibrant UQ resonator/ Custom Cajun Catless B-pipes/Airaid MXP CAI/Cajun Y-pipe/MGT 07+ manifold/LS7 TB/ Long tru-cool transmission cooler/ 170* thermostat/ H-D's all corners/ Curt front hitch/ BrakePerformance slotted and dimpled rotors/Hellwigg traction springs/MetalWorx street Traction Bars/ ARB onboard air/2" Drop shackles/ Wolo powerhouse air horn!
#3 Old 08-07-2011, 04:11 PM
GregK
Shift_Newbie

Yes, it will need to be programmed at the dealership.

2011 Titan SV 4x4, Galaxy black
Added: heated seats, Advent bluetooth, Advent 10" overhead DVD, PolarStart remote starter, Impulse brake controller, LLumar tinted windows, DiamondKote rust module, graphics, U-Guard SS nerf bars, TrailFX SS rails, Aries SS grille guard, Access rollup cover, Bushwacker Extend-A-Fender flares, factory fogs, air box mod, K&N filter, Bully Dog Triple Dog GT, Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD, Pioneer AVIC-U220 NAV, PAC steering wheel control, tailgate reverse camera, tailgate power lock actuator, hood deflector, in-channel vent visors, KC Daylighters, Rough Country 6" lift kit, D(ick) Cepek 18x8.5 Torque wheels, D(ick) Cepek LT305/60/18 Mud Country tires, and more to come.

#4 Old 08-07-2011, 06:03 PM
mytmax98
Shift_Fanatic

What does programming the key do? What functions would I lose if I just bought a key and had it cut? It's kind of funny to me because 6 years ago, when I bought my first Titan, the sales lady told me all about the truck. She showed me things I didn't even know about them. However, I didn't know about the keys until about 2 weeks ago. Funny side note, she was wearing heals. She told me that the headlights are unbreakable because they are made out of the same material that coke bottles are made of. She then took off a heal and slammed it into the headlight several times repeatedly. It freaked me out! I was thinking, "NO!!! I am buying this truck!"

Dusted a Hemi Rumblebee on the test drive...Enough said!
Raced two, beat two.

2007 Titan LE C/C Injen intake, MBRP cat back exhaust, 22" Velocity rims, Undercover tonneau, r1 concepts cross drilled/slotted rotors, pioneer appradio 2, Big Tow, Tinted windows.

2010 Cube SV
#5 Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Filbert
Shift_Enthusiast

If you are looking for a simple and cheap solution - and less pocket bulge:
I would think that if you tucked your one programmed key into the steering column housing, you could use $2 flat metal chipless keys to open the doors and tailgate, and to turn the ignition switch.
Using the $2 key alone runs the starter and all, but no start.
BTW, remote key fobs can be programmed by you. But not the keys.
#6 Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 AM
sirdukedh
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
If you are looking for a simple and cheap solution - and less pocket bulge:
I would think that if you tucked your one programmed key into the steering column housing, you could use $2 flat metal chipless keys to open the doors and tailgate, and to turn the ignition switch.
Using the $2 key alone runs the starter and all, but no start.
BTW, remote key fobs can be programmed by you. But not the keys.
agreed. my wife just bought to key fobs off of ebay for her xterra. and programmed them both. but the dealer has to do the keys. my XE doesn't need the chip, no stock alarm obviously.

04 XE. Motto Metal 909's 18's,Airaid MXP CAI , JBA headers, Custom CAJUN B-pipes, Borla XR-1, Leaf spring helper mod, green LED lights in grill, fog lights, engine bay, Halos, etc...Ferreus Custom Skull grill, 35% Tint, Trifecta tonneau cover, Eye Lid mod, Airaid TSB, Screen delete mod, Axle Vent mod, UPREV Tune
#7 Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 AM
cayers1122
Shift_Enthusiast

If you don't have the keys programmer the truck will not start. It's the oem theft protection. Even if you get a remote start you have to get a module that holds an extra key in it forever or most of the time you can use a different model that has a small transmitter that you attach to the key hole behind the dash. The alarm can learn the key signal and send it for remote start.
You can get Nissan blank keys with the chip in them pretty cheap on eBay but I have no idea how much the stealership will charge you to program them.
#8 Old 08-08-2011, 12:25 PM
scr38
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Some locksmiths can program the key. Remember, if you have a key programmed you must take ALL your keys with you; they must all be programmed at the same time.
#9 Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM
cayers1122
Shift_Enthusiast

Im not sure if you have any ace hardware stores near you but they can usually program keys for most vehicles. I have had them make me chip keys for ford and lexus in the past. I dont know for sure if they have nissan keys or have the ability to program them but they are way way cheaper than the dealer. I want to say the last ford key I had made cost me around 20-25 bucks compared to over 150 at the dealer. Its worth a shot if you have any close to you.
#10 Old 08-09-2011, 04:07 AM
sirdukedh
Shift_Hardcore

x2 on that, dealers will rip you a new one on the price.

04 XE. Motto Metal 909's 18's,Airaid MXP CAI , JBA headers, Custom CAJUN B-pipes, Borla XR-1, Leaf spring helper mod, green LED lights in grill, fog lights, engine bay, Halos, etc...Ferreus Custom Skull grill, 35% Tint, Trifecta tonneau cover, Eye Lid mod, Airaid TSB, Screen delete mod, Axle Vent mod, UPREV Tune

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode