I know I've posted this on TT as well, but I'm trying to geet all the opinions I can!
I don't have any build pictures as it was my first ever attempt at fiberglassing and I wasn't sure if I could finish. I started with a run of the mill radio faceplate piece, fabricated the "frame" out of 1/4" plywood, and then attached it to the faceplate. Then I started the fiberglass process by stretching some cloth over the frame/trim piece to make my basic mold. After a couple layers of fiberglass I smoothed it over with bondo and painted it with some K12. I had some trouble matching it to my already painted center console never got around to clearing it so I repainted it with some satin vinyl/interior paint. I did this to match the A/C vents and vinyl covered shifter console. I'm still undecided if it flows well and still may try getting everything painted uniformly.
Since the iPad covers where the A/C controls normally live, I moved them to my center console in place of the cup holders. I never really used them anyways and I can fit a drink in the center cubby hole if needed. Also, this was the easiest and simplest location as no wires needed to be lengthened, there was ample space available, and retains somewhat of a factory appearance. Afterwards, I just covered it with some cushioned black leather vinyl.
Here's the overall layout of the system for now:
-Sony XAV-70BT Headunit/preamp which I use for some simple EQ'ing, T/A, and to take adavantage of the pre-amp outputs and Bluetooth.
-iPad 2 32GB Source unit (Nav, Internet, police scanner, pandora, movies, and of course MUSIC!) connected via Bluetooth to the Sony. This meant there was no need to fabricate a docking system and I would also get a completely digital signal from the iPad. The iPad doesn't live in my truck and slips out through a slot at the top of the console for easy removal. I use a program called EQu and have complete tuning adjustability for every
frequency as well as providing an awesome UI with custom colors to match the my interior.
All this sends a signal to a set of Massive Audio RK6's ran off a Massive Audio NX2. The Massives are currently using the supplied passives but I am planning a fully active system in the future with an NX4 and a miniDSP. Not installed are two Alpine SWR-823D's going into some custom ported sonotube enclosures to be ran off their own NX2 each.
I don't have a camera myself other than my Droid 2, but I'll work on some proper pics if its that big of a deal. The first picture is how it sits currently. I still need to repaint the 4x4 switch dummy plate. The second picture is my original paint job.