User Tag List

#1 Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 PM
trckhlp@gmail.com
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2004 Titan Acceleration Problem - Help

Looking for some help solving an acceleration problem on a 2004 Nissan Titan. Vehicle has recently had a full service and all fluid levels are good. Vehicle was taken into the dealer and full diagnostics ran with no faults found by dealer. Failure "typically" occurs when it is hot outside. The engine "cuts" out when the engine is loaded and will not accelerate. There are three videos on this problem. Any input is appreciated. Air filter is good, vehicle runs great when it is cold out, fuel being ran is Supreme Chevron with Techron. Do not suspect a fuel pump because it never does it when it is cold out. When engine cuts out, it sounds like one or two of the cylinders are being shut down by not getting spark. Transmission is not slipping and auto transmission fluid looks and smells good. I suspect an electronic problem, maybe a wire or sensor that is getting shorted then causing the computer to limit the engine. Sometimes the fault can be cleared by turning the truck off then back on, but sometimes not. Truck has never faulted when it has been cold.
Here are links to You Tube videos of the problem.
http://youtu.be/6pOzMTHvG_A
http://youtu.be/uDF-o1Uwk1A
http://youtu.be/fJsE6L0bcrU

Feel free to email me at trckhlp@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2012, 10:30 PM
HRTKD
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think you need to reconsider the fuel pump. You say there is a fault but you didn't post the fault code. Or do you mean the symptom goes away by restarting?

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, Volant PowerCore, 18" Magnaflow, AMSoil in everything»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Berk Technology B-Pipes»
Club Titan Rosetta Stone
Jim
#3 Old 08-24-2012, 11:35 PM
trckhlp@gmail.com
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No Fault

There is not a fault code. Took it to dealer and they could not get the truck to have problem and had no fault codes or diagnostic failures. The truck cuts out about once every two or three days and can not be driven while it is hot outside. I understand that the fuel pump could be the problem because it acts like the engine is starving for air or gas, but why would it only do it when it is hot out and not when it is cold? It has been having this intermittent problem during the summer for the past two years. If it is a fuel pump then I guess it will eventually crap out completely.
Also the third video show the truck not being able to go over 3,000 rmp, but as soon as I turn truck off, then back on, it runs 100% fine.
I am guessing a sensor that is faulty and cycling power resets the sensor... just don't know what sensor it would be.
Thanks for your feedback!
#4 Old 08-24-2012, 11:59 PM
scr38
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Have you replaced the ECU relay in the IPDM? There is a recall on the relay. That could be your problem.
#5 Old 08-25-2012, 01:44 AM
HRTKD
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I saw your thread over on TT. So does your Titan actually shut down? If so, then like scr38 said the ECU is the likely culprit. Get it fixed quick. ECU problems can cause some other severe and very expensive downstream problems.

The ECU is a cheap and quick fix. Buy it from the dealer for a few bucks.

The dealer should be able to pressure test the fuel pump.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, Volant PowerCore, 18" Magnaflow, AMSoil in everything»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Berk Technology B-Pipes»
Club Titan Rosetta Stone
Jim
#6 Old 08-25-2012, 08:02 AM
sht06
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If the previous suggestions aren't the problem I would say the GAS CAP is bad or not tight enough.Might need a new one sounds like vapor lock or fuel presure loss thus new vehicles need a functioning gas cap seal.Try turning it an extra click or two sometimes it's little stuff that is the hardest to figure out.My 0.2 cents worth.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode