User Tag List

#1 Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 PM
jake94134
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
12 Pro-4x mods

Just picked up my 2012 Pro-4x. Quite a step up from the inline six Jeep I traded. I've done some lurking prior to buying the truck and was thinking about a Hypertech tuner (correct me if I'm wrong, but Superchips doesn't support '11-'12 models). Does the Hypertech remove the WOT restriction? Does it firm up shifting at all? Also looking at either a JBA or Gibson exhaust, possibly with B pipes if they really make a difference, and an intake of some sort. So does all this sound like I'm on the right track? Should I mod in some certain order since I won't be able to afford everything at once with my new big payment on my new big truck?

2012 Pro-4x CCSB, Galaxy Black. Airaid MXP, Gibson Dual Extreme, Hellwig Traction Control springs. Catless Cajun B pipes on the way, BDGT pending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Misfit482
Shift_Enthusiast

As far as programmers are concerned, Uprev is the best. It is also the most expensive and requires the use of a laptop. If that's not for you, then usually the Bullydog is considered the best pocket programmer. For the order, exhaust or intake followed by programmer. Do B-pipes last. Just for planning, if you plan to add headers Uprev is your only option if you want your T running correctly. Otherwise your AFR's will be way out of wack and you will likely have CEL light. Which would mean fail at emissions test.

'07 CC 4X4 banks ram air w/ tb screen removed, banks monster exhaust, prg minilift, PRG UCA's, PRG endlinks, 5100's all around, DK shackles, Brake motive brakes, headlight mod w/ JB switcbacks, Legit 55w 6000 hid's (lows and highs), modded tail lights, street scene grille shell, xd diesel 20x10 w/ terra grapplers, pinch weld mod, axle vent mod, BW pocket flares, PD'd stuff, BL step rails, SM designs bezel kit
#3 Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Scottysize
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake94134 View Post
Just picked up my 2012 Pro-4x. Quite a step up from the inline six Jeep I traded. I've done some lurking prior to buying the truck and was thinking about a Hypertech tuner (correct me if I'm wrong, but Superchips doesn't support '11-'12 models). Does the Hypertech remove the WOT restriction? Does it firm up shifting at all? Also looking at either a JBA or Gibson exhaust, possibly with B pipes if they really make a difference, and an intake of some sort. So does all this sound like I'm on the right track? Should I mod in some certain order since I won't be able to afford everything at once with my new big payment on my new big truck?
I ran a Bully Dog GT for a year and a Hypertech for a year. I got better gas mileage with the Hypertech, so I sold the Bully Dog and stuck with the Hypertech. I'm currently running it on my 2012. Yes, it removes WOT. No, it doesn't do a 2 degree advance. MOst like the BDGT, but I've got a tablet in my truck and Torque App installed with a bluetooth module, so I get more displays than the BDGT.

As for shifting, I've never noticed any difference in shifting with either tuners. (Although I did bark the tires at 45 mph the other day passing someone that didn't know the speed limit was 55.) As stated before, Uprev gives you the most options and advance tuning, but you'll pay for it.

Since I'm still running stock tubes, and I'm happy with them, I can't say anything about the exhaust.

2012 SV CC Brilliant Silver/Charcoal Cloth 4X4.

Future Mods: One day AirLift Air Bags

#4 Old 11-07-2012, 02:14 PM
jake94134
Shift_lurker

So the BDGT advances the timing, but the Hypertech does not? Like most (I assume), I want the best of both worlds when it comes to power vs MPG. That said, it's not a Prius and I knew that when I bought it. My last car was a 4.0 I6 Grand Cherokee with a lift and 32" tires, I averaged 12-12.5 mpg average (per overhead console) so I'm pretty satisfied with the T's stock gas mileage so far. I really don't plan on doing headers, so I think I'll pass on Uprev. Thanks for the input guys.

ETA: Is the 2* advance a deal breaker? Does it make a huge difference?

2012 Pro-4x CCSB, Galaxy Black. Airaid MXP, Gibson Dual Extreme, Hellwig Traction Control springs. Catless Cajun B pipes on the way, BDGT pending.
#5 Old 11-07-2012, 10:23 PM
bipedrope
Shift_lurker

I just installed my BDGT today and got to say its worth it. The screen is smaller than you'd think but all the extra gizmos it lets you do is great. The features are

87 tune
eco tune
tow tune
performance tune

you can set the gov all the way to 180mph you'll never see it haha

you can retard 8 degrees or advance 4

change throtle response which running on extreme is loads of fun

increase or decrease your idle
run 0-60 1/4 ect... tests

theres more but like i said I just got it today

the only thing I wish was for shift firmness and adjustments as far as I know no programer even Uprev will change the transmission firmness or shift points

If so I would have bought it. I think you must change your valve body for that if i'm wrong someone here please point in the right direction.
#6 Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 PM
jake94134
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipedrope View Post
I just installed my BDGT today and got to say its worth it. The screen is smaller than you'd think but all the extra gizmos it lets you do is great. The features are

87 tune
eco tune
tow tune
performance tune

you can set the gov all the way to 180mph you'll never see it haha

you can retard 8 degrees or advance 4

change throtle response which running on extreme is loads of fun

increase or decrease your idle
run 0-60 1/4 ect... tests

theres more but like i said I just got it today

the only thing I wish was for shift firmness and adjustments as far as I know no programer even Uprev will change the transmission firmness or shift points

If so I would have bought it. I think you must change your valve body for that if i'm wrong someone here please point in the right direction.
BDGT sounds like it good to go...you sold me on it. Reason I asked about shifting mods is I used to have a 2004 Ram 2500 Hemi with Superchips and it definitely firmed up the shifts and improved the shift points. The Hemi would rev up to around 5k and then just drop off before the upshift on WOT. I guess "lag time" would be the proper term to describe it.

#7 Old 11-07-2012, 11:48 PM
jake94134
Shift_lurker

Just ordered an Airaid MXP from AJUSA (used the ROCKET promo)...it's a start

#8 Old 11-08-2012, 04:34 AM
Scottysize
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake94134 View Post
So the BDGT advances the timing, but the Hypertech does not? Like most (I assume), I want the best of both worlds when it comes to power vs MPG. That said, it's not a Prius and I knew that when I bought it. My last car was a 4.0 I6 Grand Cherokee with a lift and 32" tires, I averaged 12-12.5 mpg average (per overhead console) so I'm pretty satisfied with the T's stock gas mileage so far. I really don't plan on doing headers, so I think I'll pass on Uprev. Thanks for the input guys.

ETA: Is the 2* advance a deal breaker? Does it make a huge difference?
IMO: 2 degree advance kicks it in the butt when you punch it at highway speeds, however, I found that my gas mileage went down when I had it installed. Of course by down it was less than 1 mpg for me and it could have been because I loved the kick in the pants when I punched it. It was definitely an advantage when passing. The BDGT is a nice little unit, but I mounted a Nexus 7 tablet and ODBII bluetooth adapter today that does everything the BDGT screen does plus a lot more display wise.

#9 Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 AM
ztaylor03
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottysize View Post
IMO: 2 degree advance kicks it in the butt when you punch it at highway speeds, however, I found that my gas mileage went down when I had it installed. Of course by down it was less than 1 mpg for me and it could have been because I loved the kick in the pants when I punched it. It was definitely an advantage when passing. The BDGT is a nice little unit, but I mounted a Nexus 7 tablet and ODBII bluetooth adapter today that does everything the BDGT screen does plus a lot more display wise.

That's sweet! Is there a certain app you used? Looks killer in there like that. What does the bluetooth do?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

'06 Blizzard white CC 4X4
18" black XD's
35" tires
JBA LT's
Cajun bpipes
Airaid MXP
Uprev
#10 Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Scottysize
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaylor03 View Post
That's sweet! Is there a certain app you used? Looks killer in there like that. What does the bluetooth do?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Torque App. I think it was $5 or $6 in the play store. The bluetooth module allows your ECU to talk to the Torque app on your Android device. I try never to link back to other sites, but if you search on TitanTalk.com for Nexus 7, you'll find the post that I got the idea from.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode