User Tag List

post #1 of 5 Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
vermonttitan
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yet another rear sonar question

So after reading many threads on this, I finally figured out that my speaker was junk. (For those of you having a problem, start off by checking this, I've read and figured out this is one of the most common problems) So I've narrowed this much down, and now I know that speaker was junk. I used a small external speaker from a little alarm clock (even less than the $5 Radio Shack buzzer)

Now I have to figure out why the buzzer just STAYS on when it's in reverse. The owner before me DID let a trailer hit the bumper right next to the sensor on the passenger side closest to the license plate.

Now I haven't had time enough to go through, blow off and clean all the sensor eyes, or go through and blow out/di-electric grease all the connections. So until tomorrow when I have time that is my next diagnostics.

One question I have is how do I "jump" those to check and see if that one sensor is bad, or can you not do that with these. And if you can and I figure out that the sensor is junk, how much do they run? I would love to have the rear sensors working because #1 its an option on the truck and #2 my wife drives the truck once and a while and is quite a bit different than her Xterra. Tomorrow I will post my findings after all the cleaning and lubing is done but in the mean time for my other questions if anyone has insight (which I'm sure there are plenty who do) I would greatly appriciate it!

Oh by the way it's a 2008.5 SE 4X4 with 18,226 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
vermonttitan
Shift_lurker

So after being in a warm garage for 6 hours I took a blow gun and blew out all around all connections and the sensors themselves. I cleaned the faces and also di-electric greased all connections having to do with this system in the rear of the truck.

Still same results, constant beep in reverse. Where do I go from here? Any chance of jumping one at a time to narrow it down?

2008.5 Titan SE Green
No mods yet but I've only had it a week
post #3 of 5 Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
vermonttitan
Shift_lurker

Ok so this will be my last post on this topic!

After running out of ideas and reading countless threads, I thought to myself "Hmmm...everyone seems to have problems when the tail gates are down....."

Well it turns out where the previous owner had let the trailer hit the bumper was right next to the sensor near the license plate. I decided to pop that sensor out (which by the way is really easy!) And put it outside of the bumber just dangling there. I put it in reverse and BAM IT WORKS!

Long story short, the way the bumper had been creased it was picking up the black molding on top of the bumper itself! So I took out the rest of the sensors before grabbing a BFH and a long iron bar and proceded to persuade the crease semi-back to it's original shape.

Once I got the bumper as close as I was going to get while still on the truck I popped all the sensors back in and whala. Anyways, just thought I would share my findings with everyone just in case you are plagued with the unforgiving "rear sonar" debocle.

2008.5 Titan SE Green
post #4 of 5 Old 08-13-2013, 06:11 PM
REC3036
Shift_Enthusiast

any other issues? I just developed the same problem... there is no damage to my bumper or anything hitting it... it is already annoying and it has only been happening for 3 days... I back into my driveway and my assigned parking spot at work so I actually do alot of backing daily...

No matter Where You Go...There You Are!!!

08 Crew Cab SE Timberline Green, Utility Bed, Rockford Fosgate with XM. Factory matching tint front, Air Box Mod, Dominator II Nerf Bars, Spring Helpers, Red/ Blue Liberty LED Lightbar, Undercover Siren, Line of Fire and Ice, Rolled off the lot 7/31/2008 2000 hrs.

Russ

post #5 of 5 Old 08-18-2013, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
vermonttitan
Shift_lurker

I guess I need to know if your speaker is working. Does it make any beep at all?

2008.5 Titan SE Green

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode