#1 Old 01-24-2005, 05:39 AM
TitanHauler
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TitanHauler
Tire Pressure Sensors

I am looking to get some aftermarket wheels and tires and I want to retain the factory Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I also am not keen on dismounting my factory rims and tires just to get the sensors out of the wheels as I may need to put them back in the future if I upgrade to a current model year Titan and want to take my aftermarket wheels and tires with me. Can anyone tell me the following:

1)How much are the sensors if I just bought 4 new ones to put in the the new wheels and tires?

2)Can new sensors be programmed to my truck without unprogramming the old ones?

3)Can pressure sensors be programmed to any Titan?

Thanks in advance!

2004 Titan KC LE 4X2 \"Smoke\" - Born: 02/05/04 @ 04:44 - Adopted: 03/07/04 - Sold: 05/24/05 - Big Tow Package - Prodigy Controller - PRG/Gagnon 2.5\" Leveling Kit - 20X8.5\" MB Off-Road Gunner 6 Wheels - LT305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappler A/T Tires - AEM BruteForce CAI - Custom Flowmaster Cat-Back - Resonators Removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2005, 11:53 AM
MikeZ
Shift_Enthusiast

I had a bit of experience on these sensors on last titan. The sensors are about 70 bucks a piece. You will have to get Nissan to program your titan for the new sensors but this only takes a few minutes. You can get sensor out and in without dismounting from rim so that may be your best option. You will need to keep sensors on left side of vehicle on left and right side on right.

Also, the sensor is part of your valve assembly and it is a hair smaller in diameter then most valve stems. When at tire shop but a couple bucks worth of different size rubber grommets for stems so you can seal it up.

Good luck!

Z

2004 Titan SE CC 4x4. Big tow, Offroad, RF, captains seats, UT with bed divider and extender. Advance K-cover, PRG leveling kit. Sirius Starmate replay w/PIE amp through AUX. Scan Gauge.
#3 Old 01-25-2005, 01:20 AM
TitanHauler
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ
I had a bit of experience on these sensors on last titan. The sensors are about 70 bucks a piece. You will have to get Nissan to program your titan for the new sensors but this only takes a few minutes. You can get sensor out and in without dismounting from rim so that may be your best option. You will need to keep sensors on left side of vehicle on left and right side on right.

Also, the sensor is part of your valve assembly and it is a hair smaller in diameter then most valve stems. When at tire shop but a couple bucks worth of different size rubber grommets for stems so you can seal it up.

Good luck!

Z
I gotcha! I was thinking you had to take the tire off the rim to get the sensor out. So if you deflate the tire and remove the valve stem the sensor will pull right through the hole??? Anyone have a picture of one of these things?

2004 Titan KC LE 4X2 \"Smoke\" - Born: 02/05/04 @ 04:44 - Adopted: 03/07/04 - Sold: 05/24/05 - Big Tow Package - Prodigy Controller - PRG/Gagnon 2.5\" Leveling Kit - 20X8.5\" MB Off-Road Gunner 6 Wheels - LT305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappler A/T Tires - AEM BruteForce CAI - Custom Flowmaster Cat-Back - Resonators Removed
#4 Old 01-25-2005, 01:36 AM
MikeZ
Shift_Enthusiast

The valve stem is connected to sensor (it is all one piece). So you will need to deflate tire (fully!), push tire away from rim in area of valve stem and then pull out valve stem/sensor from the back of rim (after you unscrew it from front of course.). It helps to have a second set of hands but not absolutley neccessary.

Let me know if this made sense to you. Wish I had a pic of sensor but dont.sorry

2004 Titan SE CC 4x4. Big tow, Offroad, RF, captains seats, UT with bed divider and extender. Advance K-cover, PRG leveling kit. Sirius Starmate replay w/PIE amp through AUX. Scan Gauge.
#5 Old 01-25-2005, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
You might want to look at this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pressure.jpg
Views:	2165
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	435  

#6 Old 01-25-2005, 04:10 AM
TitanHauler
Shift_Fanatic

Thanks everyone! This is good stuff. So then, it seems the best approach to this would be to remove the sensors from my factory wheels, have generic valve stems without sensors put back into the factory wheels and the tires re-inflated, and sell them. If I purchase another Titan, work it out at the time of sale to have the factory wheels from the new Titan put on my old Titan and vice versa. Then have the dealer program the sensors to both vehicles. Sound about right? Because otherwise I have to extract the sensors back and forth to much. Can the sensors be programmed while inside the tires?

#7 Old 01-25-2005, 04:25 AM
SMOKEDYA2
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ
You will need to keep sensors on left side of vehicle on left and right side on right.

so if we rotate our tires, is the tire light going to come on when the right goes to the left and vise versa?

IRC VK56 Member "Promotions Crew"
Randy

0 to 60 in 5.66 seconds
1/4 mile in 13.91@96.15mph

04' XE King 4x4 Smoke, uprev tuned, trutrac, transgo shift kit, doug thorley long tube headers, Gibson Y pipe, magnaflow muff, ram air, K&N FIPK intake, 07 intake manifold, 170* t-stat, 2 1/4 b-pipes, NGK iridium plugs, relentless catch can, TB bypass, TB screen removed, 2 ga. grounding kit, 05 rear diff cover, 17" custom painted SSC rims, Sony 1100 w digi amp, 2 kenwood 10's, 20 % window tint, 2/4 belltech/springtech drop, MrGrille 4pcs insert, armada airdam, custom painted bumper, nightshade tails, and DDM 8000k HID's
#8 Old 01-25-2005, 05:04 AM
MikeZ
Shift_Enthusiast

According to my service departent, it was designed to rotate front to back and not criss cross. I took their word for it and went front to back and didnt have any problems. Being that this info came from "my service department", this info and 1 buck will get you some coffee from Mickey D's. I also had already always rotated front to back so it wasnt a big issue for me. scr38 might be able to verify this if he has service manual.

Titanhauler, the sensors will be programmed while in tires. When the tire store busted one of my sensors, I watched them program the new one. They plugged the computer thing on and then had a portable "scanner" like thing and went to each wheel with it. When it programmed it, the tail lights flash a couple times.

#9 Old 01-25-2005, 05:18 AM
M4ck
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to M4ck Send a message via MSN to M4ck
Here ya go Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tire_rotate.gif
Views:	2165
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	441  

My CarDomain site <--Updated
2004 XE KC 4x2 Radiant Silver | DYNO: HP 350.16 TQ 404.68
Surgeon General never said anything about smoking a Hemi!
Lund Interceptor Bug Shield : WeatherTech VentVisors : "Dunder" Grill : Volant CAI : Dual IN/OUT Flowmaster Exhaust : Carbon Fiber Dash kit : PRG Leveling Kit : Painted Engine Cover : Upgraded 6 spoke LE Rims and Tires : Xetronic HID Conversion Kit : Eco#3 Fuel Filter(1.6mpg increase) : Nissan Hitch Receiver : Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks : Recon "Line of Fire with backup lights" : Airaid TBS : Westin Bull Bar : Aries Oval OffRoad Steps NX Nitrous Express Wet Kit : UPREV Tune 93 Octane/Nitrous

Josh M.
#10 Old 01-25-2005, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Here is some other info that may be of interest:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tpms.jpg
Views:	2039
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	442   Click image for larger version