Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2008 Titan that has been very good to me. Recently, though, it has been having an issue with coming out of 4HI back into 2WD in a timely fashion. When I need 4WD on my way to work, I have to put it back into 2WD about 10 minutes or more before I get to the highway. It never used to do this & it seems to be getting worse. The only way I can get it back into 2WD kinda quickly is if I stop, put it into neutral, put it into 4Low, put it in gear & drive a few feet, put it back in neutral, put it in 2WD, then put it into gear....This works for me sometimes, but it is begining to become a real hassle. The Nissan dealer was trying to tell me that it had to be on dry pavement to switch out of 4WD, but that makes absolutely no sense, especially since my truck never used to have this problem & it would be a really stupid design on Nissan's part if that were the case & I'm not even sure that that would be possible lol :duh:. I had asked for the price of the encoder motor, which I guess Nissan calls the transfer control device assembly, and it's like $604.16 + tax!! The truck has about 62K on it...Anyone ever have this problem? How did you fix it? Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
i have this issue sometimes, it usually takes a minute or two for mine. sometimes, when i go back into 2wd. putting the truck in reverse then back to drive. and it switches over, give it a try.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I have 33K miles on mine and it's sort of been doing this for quite a while. Try turning the steering wheel 90 degrees while moving forward. That seems to do the trick for my Titan.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have 33K miles on mine and it's sort of been doing this for quite a while. Try turning the steering wheel 90 degrees while moving forward. That seems to do the trick for my Titan.
90 degrees while stopped I hope. LOL

My 2010 take a few seconds to switch back, unless I'm on wet pavement, then it doesn't switch until I hit dry pavement. I have been able to test this theory over the past three days with all of the ice we've had, and it has always stayed in 4 wheel until I hit a long dry stretch.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
No, while driving. I think the drivetrain needs to be in motion for it to disengage. I know it sounds odd, but it's been consistently working for me. But do drive slow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue when purchasing my titan. Found out it won't disengage or engage while turning. The best way I found to disengage while driving is to switch from 4WD to 2WD, then let off the throttle and it makes the transition smoothly. Try it and good luck.:thumbsup-big:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same issue when purchasing my titan. Found out it won't disengage or engage while turning. The best way I found to disengage while driving is to switch from 4WD to 2WD, then let off the throttle and it makes the transition smoothly. Try it and good luck.:thumbsup-big:
i have only owned 4x trucks. and have always been rolling (or at least moving under 55 mph) when switching in/out of 4 hi. NEVER an issue.

that being said, i would think that if it does not disengage w/in 2-3 seconds (as mine takes about that long) that you have SOME type of issue.

my suggestion: find another person to take it too...perhaps a 4x shop OR another dealer who will listen. good luck - let us know

seeing as these are 'electronic' and not 'vaccuum' accuated as my other truck was, it is a different beast.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I took mine to the dealer for this issue and of course they could not duplicate the issue. My dealer is actually pretty good so I'm not too upset with them.

Mine would stay in 4hi for miles. It stayed in 4lo once too but not for miles. Whenever I'm pulling a trailer it is difficult to get out of 4hi. I haven't pulled a trailer since I learned the turn the steering wheel trick. It's like the system is all bound up and gets stuck. Maybe turning the steering wheel helps loosen things up. That's a weak explanation. I have no idea why but the steering wheel trick works.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
man, there are alot of home remedies here. lol. just to note, i don't tow at all with my truck, and it has taken the about the same amount of time since i owned it at 28k, now at 76k. i thought it was normal. doesn't bother me, i just adjusted to it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
With my truck I never hav a problem switching to 4h or back to 2w in any conditions. Surely there is a micro switching issue here and not mechanical?

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is usually caused from the drive train having some kind of bind on it. The easiest way to get back to 2wd is to get in grass or on something with less traction than pavement, put the selector in 2wd and stick the throttle for a second while in drive. That takes the bind out and lets it get back to 2wd easier. The shifter motors in the Titans aren't what I would call high torque so a little help does the trick.
I wouldn't worry about it causing more problems. If the motor goes at some point there isn't going to be anything you can do anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts