Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Life is settling down and it is time to get some maintenance done. Trans and rear fluids have been replaced last 25k. Plugs done last 12k. I know I need to replace front diff and transfer fluid, brake and radiator fluid. What else should I look at doing? What about timing chain or other main components? I plan on driving this truck for a long time And I want it to last. The maintenance schedule doesn't exactly go up to the miles I have to follow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So no one has high miles for suggested maintenance?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Check tranny cooling hoses for leaks. I did all fluids @ 60,000, and the x-fer case fluid was real dark. All other fluids looked pretty good.

·
Registered
334 Posts
2nd guessing.

Greetings, I think the idea of checking tranny cooling lines is a good one. When I did my exaust manifolds I asked the service adviser at ed hicks nissan what I should look out for and he was'nt much help either,My truck had 89900 on it when they did the service, it's got101000 onit now. I mentioned the timing belt but he kind of shrugged and said do'nt do it till it breaks! not sure I understand his reasoning I try to be proactive when it comes to my truck but Iam also a frim believer in IF IT IS'NT BROKE DO'NT FIX IT .Do your plugs and your fluids, look for oil leaks and be glad the newer trucks are less to maintain. ( hope so inyour case anyway)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I used a turkey baster to pull out power steering fluid on a couple of different occasions, recently, (more or less a couple of partial drain and fills) and refilled it with Matic D, the same stuff I use in my transfer case.

If you just did a transmission drain and fill, [some dealers only do this too], you should do that again because only about 33% of the fluid would be new. (system is about 12 quarts and pan drains out about 4 quarts). To find the exact amount to add back in dumped the oil drain pan's contents by funnel, into pre-marked (with a permanent marker), plastic milk jugs, one marked for 1 gallon, (4 quarts), and the other in 1/2 cup increments. [I use water and a kitchen funnel when marking the jugs, before going out].

Here's how much new fluid you should have after each drain and fill if you are using that method. I've rounded the total capacity to 12 qt. and the pan to 4 qt. (the last couple of times I got out an extra cup or so, and added an equal amount of new fluid back in), but I've basically drained 1/3 of the total capacity each time, and wanted to do this over a period of 6 months or so, before the new stuff becomes old.
  • 1st change: drained 4 qt old; added 4 qt new.
    Titan had 67% old and 33% new, (4 qt of 12 were new).
  • 2nd change: drained 4 qt (2.68 qt old, 1.32 qt newish); added 4 qt new.
    Titan had 44% old and 56% new, (6.68 qt of 12 were new).
  • 3rd change: drained 4 qt (1.76 qt old, 2.24 qt newish); added 4 qt new.
    Titan had 30% old and 70% new, (8.44 qt of 12 were new).
  • 4th change: drain 4 qt (1.2 qt old, 2.8 qt newish); add 4 qt new.
    Titan has 20% old and 80% new, (9.64 qt of 12 are new).
  • 5th change: drain 4 qt (0.8 qt old, 3.2 qt newish); add 4 qt new.
    Titan will have 13% old and 87% new, (10.44 qt of 12 will be new).
After the 5th change I'll probably just do it at every other motor oil change, and not worry about the percentage.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Greetings, I think the idea of checking tranny cooling lines is a good one. When I did my exaust manifolds I asked the service adviser at ed hicks nissan what I should look out for and he was'nt much help either,My truck had 89900 on it when they did the service, it's got101000 onit now. I mentioned the timing belt but he kind of shrugged and said do'nt do it till it breaks! not sure I understand his reasoning I try to be proactive when it comes to my truck but Iam also a frim believer in IF IT IS'NT BROKE DO'NT FIX IT .Do your plugs and your fluids, look for oil leaks and be glad the newer trucks are less to maintain. ( hope so inyour case anyway)
You don't have to change it because you don't have a timing belt. It's a chain. In fact, it's 2 timing chains...one per bank. The fact that your dealer didn't know that would sent me elsewhere...FAST!

·
Registered
334 Posts
You don't have to change it because you don't have a timing belt. It's a chain. In fact, it's 2 timing chains...one per bank. The fact that your dealer didn't know that would sent me elsewhere...FAST!
Thanks for the info/lesson,YOU right about the dealer not much to pick from round here,only one other and their 50 miles or better ,San anton is 2 hr's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts