Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got a used 04 Titan KC 4X4 last month but i can't even get to the normal 14-17 mpg avg i've read. Is this for non 4X4's? The first owner had a trailer brake attached does that make any difference? I know older trucks may not perform as well when getting to high mileage but i just passed 56K. I drive about 30 miles a day with 20 of it probably being highway, can anyone tell me what gives? Also, this is my first V8 big truck so the initial mpg shock just may be it also.

Forgive me if posted earlier im sure but couldn't find search button for forum.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I think if you get anything better that 12 your doing good.....hell I only dream of getting that lol. ....ill be ok bud :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Sounds about right, I do a lot of city driving and usually get right at 14, when I do all highway I can get 17-18 and I'm only 2wd, if you have the big tow gears like I do you lose a mile or two on the highway.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Ok, I got a used 04 Titan KC 4X4 last month but i can't even get to the normal 14-17 mpg avg i've read. Is this for non 4X4's? The first owner had a trailer brake attached does that make any difference? I know older trucks may not perform as well when getting to high mileage but i just passed 56K. I drive about 30 miles a day with 20 of it probably being highway, can anyone tell me what gives? Also, this is my first V8 big truck so the initial mpg shock just may be it also.

If you get a combined average of 12-15 MPG using 10% ethanol blended gas, you're average IMO. These guys posting 14 city and 19 highway are on mind altering drugs. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did New Orleans to Seattle again last month in 2006 CC.
Mileage ranged from 17.0 to 20.0, average was 18.4.
This is actual miles divided by gallons pumped, not that squishy "miles to dashboard fuel light".
Funny: mileage was better west of Denver where it got mountainous. Was it the use of "tow mode"? (Sorry to bring that up again, but there it is.)
BTW: done with new Michelin LTX M/S2s. Nice. Thanks for forum recommendations.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Funny: mileage was better west of Denver where it got mountainous. Was it the use of "tow mode"? (Sorry to bring that up again, but there it is.)
Known phenomena. I got 22 MPG driving from Buena Vista, CO to Denver. I think their fuel in Buena Vista must have a lower ethanol content. I get the same mileage when driving from Cheyenne, WY to Denver using gas pumped in Cheyenne. My friend driving an Armada (same year, trim, optional packages and color as my Titan) with me from Buena Vista got even better gas mileage.

If I'm nice on the "Go!" pedal I can get 15 MPG around town on Denver ethanol-ized fuel.

And to think the Obama administration wants to put MORE ethanol in fuel. That bites.:scheibe-big:

·
Registered
153 Posts

sounds pretty average, but what kind of tires you have any lift mods plus you being 4x4 definitely affects your mpg's.

·
Registered
226 Posts
a 2x4 no big tow can get 19 on the freeway, seen it, my dads 2x4 kc non big tow, he sees 19 of the freeway all the time. my 4x4 kc big tow gets about 17 on the freeway with intake and exhaust! i get about 14.3 to 14.5 in city and thats driving like i normally do, when the wife drives it she can see 15.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You have a TRUCK with with a 5.6L V8!!! Low MPG is to be expected, I mean i knew what i was getting into when i bought my truck with mpg.......but like these guys said, your about average, and if you want a lift, bigger tires, you'll watch the fuel gauge fall haha

·
Registered
153 Posts
yeah i regularly get 14.5 around town and 19 on the hwy no problem. I'm 2 wheel drive without big tow, CA intake and bullet muffler. plus i have good hwy tires too though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I guess my truck must be running pretty good ,I drove from belton to corpus 90% hiway ended up 325 miles when I filled up took 20.2 gals, thats16.10 mpgs I dont know anybody who figures it by the light coming on? how do you do that anyway? I had the cortex on fuel saver Iam 4x4 cc BT withtools compressor and generator and headache rack and I was in a hurry and drove the first 100 miles at 75-80 yes it is pretty much flat but there are a few hills and some driving was city, yea my rig runs good

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thats downhill with a tailwind( my nephew claimed 20 when he took my cortex to cali but he's 2 wheel driv and club cab )

·
Registered
153 Posts
16 MPG on the HWY is possible. But these 20+ claims must be superTitans..lol.
i've never had over 20, but my 1 1/2 hour drive to nashville, (which some of it is at 55 mph speed limit) get's me 19 every time. i'm very happy that i get it but it was never expected. i knew what i was getting in to

·
Registered
4,396 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine goes from F to E every tank, as all my trucks in the past have also.

Seriously though, I drive about 120 miles a day commuting to and from work. I average between 14.2 and 15.4 combined city and highway, mostly on the highway. It seems speed really plays a big part, as Im close to 16 at around 75, and closer to 13 at 80

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Mine goes from F to E every tank, as all my trucks in the past have also.

Seriously though, I drive about 120 miles a day commuting to and from work. I average between 14.2 and 15.4 combined city and highway, mostly on the highway. It seems speed really plays a big part, as Im close to 16 at around 75, and closer to 13 at 80
Holy cow...you need a commuter car!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts