Nissan Titan Forum banner

2 for 1- 100k Maintenance and Rear Axle Seal Leak Questions

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dreep 
#1 ·
So i just got back from a nice long road trip and am now right around 100k miles. When i got back and was washing my truck I noticed the typical wet spots on the rear brakes and wheels. Oh also my truck is an '04 crew cab/4x4/big tow, the truck came with a 6" ProComp Stage 1 lift. I've had the truck since about 40k miles. So my questions are.

Rear axle upgrades or replacement thoughts to fix leaks? I heard a lot about Tru-trac not sure though. or Maybe different year Axles i just couldn't find any consoladated info on this.

Besides what all I've been able to search and find for the normal 100k mile servicing. Is there anything else I should look at/into doing at this time?

I would like to replace and upgrade my shocks all the way around. I only do serious off-roading about twice a month. Any recommendations?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

#2 ·
TrueTrac is a great upgrade for improved traction.

That doesn't address the axle seal issues directly, of course, but if you are "in there" for a differential upgrade, you can change the axle seals at the same time. Axles shafts changed with the improved axles after 04/2007, but I'm 99% sure they not are backwards compatible without a complete rear axle assembly upgrade. Are the axle seals leaking? You can replace them without a differential upgrade, of course.

Best simple mod to keep from having axle seal issues is the "axle vent mod" which replaces the failure prone axle vent and remotes the vent well above possible water/mud intrusion. Lots of threads on that.

Routine maintenance is detailed in the service manual and would include all fluids drained, replaced where possible. There are good threads and the service manual details fluid exchange from the transmission, since draining the pan only gets 4-5 quarts out. If it hasn't been done for a couple years, flush/replace the brake fluid. Consider same for coolant if it hasn't been done in a few years.

At 100 kmi, consider replacing the O2 sensors, at least the ones ahead of the cats, which control A/F mixture. Replace the two PCV valves - cheap and can cause issues if they clog. Are air filter, cabin air filter (which you can add, if not already there, I believe) replacements due? Clean the MAF with MAF-cleaner (NOT carb cleaner, brake cleaner, etc - get a MAF specific cleaner that won't leave residue or harm the MAF).

Check the parking brake assemblies - they are failure prone. Aftermarket parking brake shoes are an upgrade to factory parts, which have been known to delaminate, causing collateral damage to the axle/sensor ring, etc.

You can find all the info you need on required maintenance / intervals in the service manual. If you don't have and need access, join the NICOclub forum, and you can access the manual for your specific year. http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan-titan-factory-service-manuals.html.

Shocks - good upgrade from stock would be Bilstein 5100/5125s (rear), but with the 6" lift, you may want to go to a more performance oriented (and expensive) option of ICON or Fox shocks.

I see the 94th Fighter Squadron avatar... are you active duty?

Good luck and thanks for your service!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.