Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I have a 05 with Doug Thorley LT's, set of magnaflow Hi flows, custom y pipe and then 3" piping all the way back through a 3" Straight through Magnaflow muffler, Was wondering if you think I will pass smog in the first place?
Secondly, if not I need someone who will, anyone know of any "reputable" smog places. If so please PM me soon thanks!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
According to an expert I spoke with here in Colorado I would not pass emissions with that setup. I don't quite understand that because the earlier model year 4x2 only had two catalytic converters anyhow.

·
Registered
675 Posts
are DT C.A.R.B.legal. and i dont think you will with the visual in CA cuase of hi flow cats.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ exactly what I was thinking, CA laws are insane for Emissions

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I think you'll be ok :)

I have no cats with 2 14" magnaflows dumped and I pased

·
Registered
188 Posts
I could very well be wrong with the cali smog laws but if they failed it based on high flow cats that would blow my mind. A cat is a cat. They all do the exact same thing where as the high flow cats function the same as oem but they can do it faster or handle more volume of exhaust gas.
You might want to make friends with someone that is certified to do emission testing out there then you would have nothing to worry about.
Either that or you will have to get set up with a way to swap out the cats to oem standards just before the test.

Cali has some truly ridiculous laws on near everything they can find to inconvenience the public I think.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright well when the time comes Ill let you all know how I did haha. Hopefully no problems

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Definitely interested to know if you pass emissions. Long tube headers are easier to install since they bolt right up to the b-pipes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^ the install went pretty smooth, had a few issues with some of the manifold bolts, loosening and tightening, not much space in there.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
^^^ the install went pretty smooth, had a few issues with some of the manifold bolts, loosening and tightening, not much space in there.
Good to hear glad it went well, how do you like it ??

·
Registered
65 Posts
What was the outcome of this? All long tube headers are non CARB approved but if you just got a smog guy that hooks it up and runs it you'd have no problems...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ended up swapping to a set of JBA shorties, still havent had to smog it yet but I figured this would be the easiest route.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ended up swapping to a set of JBA shorties, still havent had to smog it yet but I figured this would be the easiest route.
oh ok, thats what i plan on doing too since they're CARB approved

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be honest my truck feels more responsive with the shorties. I much more low end, which sounds right based on what I have read. Then again I got it dyno tuned after swapping to them so that could have a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
yeah i think that the shorties are better cause they give you just enough back pressure for that low end, too open and you lose it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts