Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to do the first oil change in my Titan. I was just looking over my truck to get the lay of the land as far as the locations of everything to do the oil change. How do you get to the oil filter hanging off the front of the engine? Owner's manual is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. Do I have to remove the skid plate covering the oil filter? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Yes, remove the plate. Remove two of the bolts, but just loosen the other two. The plate is slotted, so those two bolts don't need to be removed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Does the factory still use an 800 lb goriila to put the filters on like they did in 2004, or did they lay him off?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
He was still there in June 2006 when mine was built, I remember him well!

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
There's no need to remove the skidplate. There's a small square cutout...that's to get to the oil filter. Just remove that.
That plate is on the 4 WD only, not on the 2 WD.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
What I should have said is that the cut out for the filter is only on the 4WD, not on the 2WD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't get to change my oil yesterday because I had to work. I'll be doing it today. Is that square cut-out on ALL 4x4 models or just the Pro-X?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I saw the slotted bolts, where are the other two located?
The two bolts that need to be removed are opposite of the slotted end of the skid plate just behind the front bumper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, remove the plate. Remove two of the bolts, but just loosen the other two. The plate is slotted, so those two bolts don't need to be removed.
I'm attempting my first oil change on my new Titan. I have removed the 4 bolts on the skid plate and it will hang down a bit. But for the life of me I can't seem to get it to bust loose from the front. As in it seem attached to something I can't see by the front bumper. Any advice would be helpful thank you.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I'm attempting my first oil change on my new Titan. I have removed the 4 bolts on the skid plate and it will hang down a bit. But for the life of me I can't seem to get it to bust loose from the front. As in it seem attached to something I can't see by the front bumper. Any advice would be helpful thank you.
It's possible that the skid plate was bent and it's now hung up on the bracket. Try moving it side to side and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's possible that the skid plate was bent and it's now hung up on the bracket. Try moving it side to side and see if that helps.
Thanks HRTKD, I tried that earlier, the truck has 2k miles, the skid plate or as it's called in the manual, engine front undercover will not lift up in the front or move side to side. I haven't given it any hard core pressure. I felt any more and it would bend or break something.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I'm stumped then. Usually I have to be careful that it doesn't fall on my face as I take out the last bolt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.