Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Well, like the title says, no worky. It's an '04 just turning 70,000 miles. Up until now it was fine. Today I used 4WD. It worked and I got the usual bind and pop making a sharp slow turn.

The next time I went to turn it on it just made a grinding sound until I came to a stop. When I start to move again, no more noise, dash indicates 4WD, but there is none. I can put it in 4 Lo and engage the E-Locker, but still 4WD is not engaging.

Probably a solenoid on the hubs? I don't know. Anyone have this problem? I need to get it taken care of soon. I really need the 4WD, especially with all the snow we've been getting here in Pa.

Dealer or transmission shop? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks for any help you could give.

Chief

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
4WD not engaging

Hi Guys,

Well, like the title says, no worky. It's an '04 just turning 70,000 miles. Up until now it was fine. Today I used 4WD. It worked and I got the usual bind and pop making a sharp slow turn.

The next time I went to turn it on it just made a grinding sound until I came to a stop. When I start to move again, no more noise, dash indicates 4WD, but there is none. I can put it in 4 Lo and engage the E-Locker, but still 4WD is not engaging.

Probably a solenoid on the hubs? I don't know. Anyone have this problem? I need to get it taken care of soon. I really need the 4WD, especially with all the snow we've been getting here in Pa.

Dealer or transmission shop? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks for any help you could give.

Chief
Check that the front half shaft hasn't popped out! Just happened to Konigfritz on Titantalk...
The c clip is the weak link.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check that the front half shaft hasn't popped out! Just happened to Konigfritz on Titantalk...
The c clip is the weak link.
Thanks Kronos, it would be great (I Think) if that's all it was. I'm hopeful, since the grinding noise sounds exactly like 2 splines rubbing against each other but not loccking into place. It's after midnite but I think I'll put on a headlamp And throw a peice of cardboard down, check it out now.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chief

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that was the problem. Shaft was out of the (Transfer Case) ? There was some fluid around it. I didn't see any C Clip, I just pushed it back in by hand until it wouldn't release, then a quick run up the driveway showed I was back in business. WOO HOOOO!!!!!!

I wasn't looking forward to taking it to a shop, not to mention the bill.

So, being that I'm not very familiar with the whole system, what should I do now? Is it more prone to popping out now that it's happened once? I'm thinking it's more likely to happen when the wheels are cut hard, that's when it binds up on me, even in snow. Should I replace the clip, make sure the fluid is full, take it easy on it, or just drive it as usual and see what happens?

I'm relieved since I have to tow the quad to the heart of nowhere on Monday, the roads aren't very well maintained. I thought I might have to use my wife's Sante Fe'. Nothing wrong with that except my buds from work would have loved the opportunity to bust my *** about the truck :)

Thanks a Ton Kronos, huge weight off my chest!!!!!!!!!!!

Chief

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Man I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is exactly what happened to mine, except I was still under warranty and they replaced the entire front final drive as even after new clips were installed you could pull it out by hand.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Problem #1 solved...

Yeah, that was the problem. Shaft was out of the (Transfer Case) ? There was some fluid around it. I didn't see any C Clip, I just pushed it back in by hand until it wouldn't release, then a quick run up the driveway showed I was back in business. WOO HOOOO!!!!!!

I wasn't looking forward to taking it to a shop, not to mention the bill.

So, being that I'm not very familiar with the whole system, what should I do now? Is it more prone to popping out now that it's happened once? I'm thinking it's more likely to happen when the wheels are cut hard, that's when it binds up on me, even in snow. Should I replace the clip, make sure the fluid is full, take it easy on it, or just drive it as usual and see what happens?

I'm relieved since I have to tow the quad to the heart of nowhere on Monday, the roads aren't very well maintained. I thought I might have to use my wife's Sante Fe'. Nothing wrong with that except my buds from work would have loved the opportunity to bust my *** about the truck :)

Thanks a Ton Kronos, huge weight off my chest!!!!!!!!!!!

Chief
Chief, as BixLL said, an axle replacement with the newer design may be the option.

Since it just started, more than likely, only a little fluid escaped so no major damage but I would contact your dealer to inquire about what they recommend. IF the c clip has snapped off, it can be a returning issue. Part number #38225Y

Here's the problem.
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46031&d=1261437925

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't help but think the mini-lift doesn't help this situation. I'll probably just take it easy when I have to go in 4WD, even though I wasn't abusing it to begin with, and see what happens. The 4WD has been getting noisier over the years. I'll call the dealer and see what they say.

I'm still relieved to know what the problem is, and it could have been worse. At least I have 4WD when I need it. Prolly keep a piece of cardboard in the truck somewhere in case it pops out again and I have to crawl under it for now. I plan on keeping it til it dies so something tells me the issue will have to be addressed at some point, hopefully not right now.

Thanks for the heads up and all the help guys, I really appreciate it. Club Titan Rocks!!!!
:thumbsup-big:

Chief

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I can't help but think the mini-lift doesn't help this situation. I'll probably just take it easy when I have to go in 4WD, even though I wasn't abusing it to begin with, and see what happens. The 4WD has been getting noisier over the years. I'll call the dealer and see what they say.

I'm still relieved to know what the problem is, and it could have been worse. At least I have 4WD when I need it. Prolly keep a piece of cardboard in the truck somewhere in case it pops out again and I have to crawl under it for now. I plan on keeping it til it dies so something tells me the issue will have to be addressed at some point, hopefully not right now.

Thanks for the heads up and all the help guys, I really appreciate it. Club Titan Rocks!!!!
:thumbsup-big:

Chief
I have the mini lift and would say that it's the situation where the system is attempting to engage at full turn that seems to be the issue.

Glad to know you got it fixed!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One week to the day and it happened again. Roads were bad so I was using 4 wheel drive this morning and it popped out. I was only on the roads and taking it easy but it popped out. Bummer.

So a whole new assembly? Looks like dealer time. I wonder what my bill is gonna be. I know it's gonna be factory parts. I most likely will have someone do the work, but it depends on what's involved and how much money I might save. Obviously this problem isn't going to go away. Crap.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mine last January and I ended up replacing the entire front differential with the new updated part. Part cost $1273 and I paid my local mechanic $300 to install it. Don't pay a Nissan Stealership to put it on, they will take advantage of you. I was quoted nearly $2000 total from my local nissan stealership..........saved $400 by ordering the part, picking it up, and having my mechanic do it. Install isn't that hard and any mechanic ought to be able to do in a days time.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the same thing happen to mine last January and I ended up replacing the entire front differential with the new updated part. Part cost $1273 and I paid my local mechanic $300 to install it. Don't pay a Nissan Stealership to put it on, they will take advantage of you. I was quoted nearly $2000 total from my local nissan stealership..........saved $400 by ordering the part, picking it up, and having my mechanic do it. Install isn't that hard and any mechanic ought to be able to do in a days time.

Thanks SE,

Talked to the dealer today. They quoted me 1230.00 for parts and 237.00 labor. They said that was for a NON BIG TOW unit. I don't have the big tow package, but I wonder if it matters that I have the Offroad package, which has the same gearing as the big tow. I would guess offroad and big tow would be the same unit. Never heard of the big tow front being any different than the offroad unit.

I wasn't aware of an updated part. Do you know what the difference between the two are?

Either way I'm looking to save some bucks if possible. If I can find the same or better replacement at a good price it would be great.

Gotta do some homework, but if anyone has suggestions that would be great.

Still burns me up to have to spend on this. I expected better when I bought the truck.

Thanks,

Chief

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
updated cotter pin

I wasn't aware of an updated part. Do you know what the difference between the two are?
Updated cotter pin and lip to prevent it from coming out...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Updated cotter pin and lip to prevent it from coming out...
That's good to know. At least they did something about this one.

I'll probably just Buck It Up and make an appt with the dealership unless I find a better way in a few days. It's surely not going to hold up as it is.

Thanks Again,

Chief

·
Registered
49 Posts
From your posts it sounds like you pushed the shaft back in but did not install a new c-clip. If that is the case I would definitely try a new clip for a few bucks before springing for the new design. Same thing happened to my 04 around 80K, filed the splines and reinstalled with a new clip and was still working when I traded at 138K miles. Also, for the record, had the leveling kit as well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Over $1200 and the new design is just a cotter pin? I mean, really? Thanks, Nissan. (sorry for the sarcasm).

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From your posts it sounds like you pushed the shaft back in but did not install a new c-clip. If that is the case I would definitely try a new clip for a few bucks before springing for the new design. Same thing happened to my 04 around 80K, filed the splines and reinstalled with a new clip and was still working when I traded at 138K miles. Also, for the record, had the leveling kit as well.
Ya, I agree this is BS Skeeter

Hmm that really gives me something to think about. That diff is going to be 1500 bucks instead of 1200 because it's the offroad gears (same as big tow), then the labor is about 230 so I'm in for 1700 total. This is big bucks and a rip off as far as I'm concerned. I'd give your remedy a try but could you give me a little more detail?

Did you have to remove the diff? Did the shafts have to come out? You filed the splines, or the slot for the clips?

Truck is going in for Monday so I still have plenty of time to cancel and try the c-clips. It's worth a shot for that kind of money especially if I'd get another 50,000 miles or so out of it.

Thanks NoPa,

Chief

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry Chief, I did not intend to imply that I did the work. Took it to my dealer expecting a large invoice and when I picked it up was pleasantly surprised to have them explain the fix (as previously stated). I don't recall what they charged me but I am pretty sure it was less than 1 hr labor plus the cost of the clip, which was minimal. If yours slid right back in I doubt you would even need to file, just replace the missing/broken clip and maybe a seal. Call the dealer (or several) and ask them what it would cost.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts