Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed lately that when I turn my defroster on, the A/C button lights up. It seems like it only does this when it's really cold outside. Does anyone know if there is a certain temperature at which the A/C comes on with the defroster?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know of 2 other Titans that do this. I believe they are set up that way to remove moisture from the air which helps in the defogging process. I know many of the cars I used to work on back in the 80's did this also.

The odd thing is that my wife has an 05 Altima that does not do that. She used to bug me about having the air on in the winter and just recently believes that it happens automatically.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Rhombi said:
I've noticed lately that when I turn my defroster on, the A/C button lights up. It seems like it only does this when it's really cold outside. Does anyone know if there is a certain temperature at which the A/C comes on with the defroster?
Totally normal.......here's the thing that isn't though. When you shut your defroster off, logic would tell you that the A/C compressor would shut off too, the light goes out making you think that it did but.....NOPE....the compressor stays on until you shut the vehicle off and restart it with the switch in a different setting. The reason for this is still a mystery, I've never been able to figure it out. There's been lots of discussion about this but no one has been able to figure out why. :? Everyones truck does it even if they don't realize it. Check it out and you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
The A/C compressor will shut off if you just push the knob, too. No need to shut off the engine. This happened in my 94 Ragner and 93 Grand Prix. Still happens in my wifes 99 Durango, too, I believe.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
LDOTITAN said:
The A/C compressor will shut off if you just push the knob, too. No need to shut off the engine. This happened in my 94 Ragner and 93 Grand Prix. Still happens in my wifes 99 Durango, too, I believe.
Next time you press the button off go out and see if your compressor is still running. I bet it is.... :lol: If it shuts off then your truck is the first one that I've heard of that works logically...Please let me know because it may have been corrected in later build dates.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Text from the 04 owner's manual

Defrosting or defogging
This mode directs the air to the defrost outlets to
defrost/defog the windows.
1. Turn the air flow control dial to the
position.
2. Turn the fan control dial to the desired position.
3. Turn the temperature control dial to the desired
position between the middle and the
hot position.
c To quickly remove ice or fog from the windows,
turn the fan control dial to 4 and the
temperature control lever to the full HOT
position.
c When the position is selected, the air
conditioner automatically turns on
(however,
the indicator light on the button will
not come on and A/C will not appear on the
display, if so equipped) if the outside temperature
is more than 36°F (2°C). If in defrost
mode for more than one minute, the air
conditioning system will continue to operate
until the fan control dial is turned to OFF or
the vehicle is shut off, even if the air flow
control dial is turned to a position other than
the position
. This dehumidifies the air
which helps defog the windshield.
The mode automatically turns off, allowing
outside air to be drawn into the passenger
compartment to further improve the
defogging performance.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
That's a good post del because it explains more of what I'm talking about. Sure you can shut the whole system off by selecting the off position on the selector, but when you select another setting that doesn't normally require the compressor to be on it won't shut off. That's the odd part I was trying to describe.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Interesting, like I always say " When all else fails, I read the instructions" thx for the tip

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
It only takes a few seconds to see if your truck does what I'm saying. Select defrost, you'll hear the compressor click on, then go to vent or feet, whichever setting you want that doesn't normally require the A/C to be on and you'll still hear the compressor engaged. You can push the A/C selector all day long and it still will remain on. Now shut the truck off and restart it, all is back to normal. I don't really like the fact it does that but most don't even realize it until someone brings it to their attention.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You gotta be kidding me??? Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for this post. I couldn't figure out why my truck felt just a bit faster sometimes than others, why the air coming out of the vents seemed colder on some days than others even though the A/C switch was off, etc, etc. My band of brothers strike again! Thanks guys. This explains alot. Now the question is, how many people have posted Dyno Results with their A/C clutch engaged and didn't know it, or posted a couple tenths slower on the dragstrip and were scratching their heads, or even worse! Failed to smoke a Hemi! I love this forum!

·
Go fast tester
11,912 Posts
Yeah...I bought a Dodge Dakota 4.7L 4X4 in 2000 and took it to the shop about a week after getting it. Wanted to know why in heck the AC was comming on when I put the defroster on. That's when I found out it was normal. Even at that time I didn't take the dealers word for it. I looked it up and found it was true.

But it does make sense because it pulls the moisture out of the air.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Rossi said:
Yeah...I bought a Dodge Dakota 4.7L 4X4 in 2000 and took it to the shop about a week after getting it. Wanted to know why in heck the AC was comming on when I put the defroster on. That's when I found out it was normal. Even at that time I didn't take the dealers word for it. I looked it up and found it was true.

But it does make sense because it pulls the moisture out of the air.
It made sense to me the reason the A/C came on with the defroster all along. What I didn't get is why when I hit the button and the A/C light goes out did the vent still want to freeze me out of the truck! And, there were mornings and afternoons for that matter when I would get into my truck and the Defroster had been left on but I would turn the dial to vent (A/C Light goes OFF) after starting the truck but as I would pull out of my driveway and start cruising around the throttle response didn't seem like it was normal. Makes sense now! Unbelievable . . . This is right up there with the utili-track guards sliding around in the bed. What owners manual? Geez . . . :oops:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Went through the same stuff with a Tacoma a few years ago. I was used to having the a/c cycle on and off during defrost but Toy stopped having the a/c light come on. Thought somethin was wrong wif ma truc! Turns out that was normal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That blows really (no pun intended :D ) Now we need to figure out a way to turn it off convienently when we need it off. i.e. at the strip, next to a hemi....

·
Registered
753 Posts
This Flippin' thing happened also in my Ford before I got rid of it........
Just turn off the A/C after the fact, unfortunately..........then race the HEMI and beat the dog s__t out of him! :D :D :D :!:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I always run with the A/C on, Summer, Winter, Day, Night who cares. Too much humidity around here to have it off for any length of time. I also run the recirc all the time so I don't have to smell everybody else's nappy exhaust.

But just for fun, I am going to have to check this out.

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
JetTech said:
Totally normal.......here's the thing that isn't though. When you shut your defroster off, logic would tell you that the A/C compressor would shut off too, the light goes out making you think that it did but.....NOPE....the compressor stays on until you shut the vehicle off and restart it with the switch in a different setting. The reason for this is still a mystery, I've never been able to figure it out. There's been lots of discussion about this but no one has been able to figure out why. :? Everyones truck does it even if they don't realize it. Check it out and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Jet, I have to apologize. I totally misread this when you originally posted it. It's been too cold and rainy to go check this out, but I'm sure you are correct. Gotta learn to read the whole post, not just assume I know what's being said.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i really despise this about our titans. it's got to be a gas mileage killer. you just don't always need for the compressor to run, regardless of temp.

i will say this....the titan fogs up inside quicker than any vehicle i've ever owned. maybe those engineers knew that and thus designed a steath operating compressor so we wouldn't know that the fogging up was a real problem.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
TitanCritter said:
i really despise this about our titans. it's got to be a gas mileage killer. you just don't always need for the compressor to run, regardless of temp.
I agree, I'm not too impressed with this function either.

TitanCritter said:
i will say this....the titan fogs up inside quicker than any vehicle i've ever owned. maybe those engineers knew that and thus designed a steath operating compressor so we wouldn't know that the fogging up was a real problem.
Now that I haven't noticed with mine. Do you think it might be a kingcab thing because the 2 Titans I've owned were both crewcabs and I've never had a problem with interior fogging.

·
Registered
601 Posts
JetTech said:
TitanCritter said:
Now that I haven't noticed with mine. Do you think it might be a kingcab thing because the 2 Titans I've owned were both crewcabs and I've never had a problem with interior fogging.
I have a CC and I wouldn't say it fogs up faster than my other vehicles. They have all fogged up fast and that is why I run the A/C all the time unless the windows are down. I will admit that I am full of hot air, but the air is full of humidity and it doesn't take long for it to stick to the windows in cooler temps.

I am testing out the Rainx anti-fog glass cleaner wipes to see if they really help any.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts