Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there....new to this site...i was wondering if anyone had some advise on external transmission cooler....i have a 2005 titan with tow package..i`m towing my travel trailer which is 7500lbs....i`m adding the pml deep trans pan and i want to add a external transmission cooler to...i have read lots of people have added coolers but has anyone added a cooler with fan...i have seen some companys have external coolers with fan...any advise on which way to go...ty

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
The PML pan is all you need. Your Titan already has two transmission coolers installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read that i`ve got two transmission coolers..if this is right.#1 is internal and #2 is external between the a/c condenser and rad...people say the one inbewtween the a/c and rad is not placed very well and doesn't get much air flow and doesn't cool very well.....i`m guessing thats why people are adding the extra cooler...i`ve seen pic`s and write up`s on people adding the extra trans cooler in front of the rad next to the rad fan for better air flow....just wondering if i can fit a cooler with fan there...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ask to see the engineering degrees of the people giving you the advice. Or: Nissan had engineers decide on transmission cooling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link 04titanss...very useful and I think I'll stick to the external cooler without fan...any idea how much extra ATF it takes if you don't bypass and keep all the coolers plus your new 1?....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ask to see the engineering degrees of the people giving you the advice. Or: Nissan had engineers decide on transmission cooling.
The same group of engineers that decided on intake air management, exhaust management, ignition timing, valvetrain etc etc?

The trans coolers supplied are enough to cut it for light to medium towing, not long term heavy towing. Why not protect the transmission with the additional cooling? It's not like the trans can be too cold, and we know what too hot does to it.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
The transmission fluid can be too cold. That is why there is a thermostat in the air cooler that bypasses it until the fluid gets up to operating temp. The transmission won't shift into overdrive until the fluid is up to a minimum heat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The transmission fluid can be too cold. That is why there is a thermostat in the air cooler that bypasses it until the fluid gets up to operating temp. The transmission won't shift into overdrive until the fluid is up to a minimum heat.
If you're towing you shouldn't be in OD anyway. Having said that, it's not like the trans will be in OD lockout full time no matter how big the additional cooler is.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks for posting the info again for installing an additional cooler. This seems to be just the thing for towing long distances in the summer heat.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks to 04titanss,for that link I ordered my cooler from d&eon the4th by the 5th they e-mailed that it was shipped. It get nice and hot around here!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Up & Running/ Long tran cooler

I followed RBsTitan instructions easy ,good pics thanks to RB and 04titan

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts