Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added an aftermarket oil cooler for the transmission? If so what was the manufacturer and who did you buy it from. And the cost. When I bought my XE I didn't think I'd be pulling anything bigger than a utility trailer. Well that has changed. I live in North West Florida that got hammered with Hurricane Ivan. We did have some water intrusion through the ridge vent and now mold has reared it's ugly head. We have to move out and have most of the sheetrock replaced. So we went shopping for a travel trailer to live in. I could get a FEMA trailer but their not something my wife would sleep in. I've been trying to get the wife interested in camping ever since we got married, 18 years ago. Her idea of camping is the Holliday Inn. But now I have a chance to change that and she's all for it. I have a class IV reciever hitch and will be getting electric brakes and a weight-distributing hitch to help. Since I didn't get the "tow package" I have to add what I can so the engine and tranny don't work too hard. Anything else I can do that you folks with experience trailering can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
No, they all have one. Follow your trans. cooler lines on the left side of your radiator and you'll see they disappear in front of your radiator. That's where the external cooler is.

The tow package only includes a lower gear ratio, 3.36, a tranny temp. gauge, bigger battery, class IV hitch, and bigger mirrors. I may have forgotten a thing or two but for the most part that's all. You should be fine to tow whatever you desire, well, within reason of course... :D

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Just as an added note the external cooler that you can see, while looking at the front of the truck, in front of the A/C condensor, is a power steering cooler. Just in case you were wondering..

·
Registered
791 Posts
Re: Aftermarket Transmission Oil Coller

planemech said:
Has anyone added an aftermarket oil cooler for the transmission? If so what was the manufacturer and who did you buy it from. And the cost. When I bought my XE I didn't think I'd be pulling anything bigger than a utility trailer. Well that has changed. I live in North West Florida that got hammered with Hurricane Ivan. We did have some water intrusion through the ridge vent and now mold has reared it's ugly head. We have to move out and have most of the sheetrock replaced. So we went shopping for a travel trailer to live in. I could get a FEMA trailer but their not something my wife would sleep in. I've been trying to get the wife interested in camping ever since we got married, 18 years ago. Her idea of camping is the Holliday Inn. But now I have a chance to change that and she's all for it. I have a class IV reciever hitch and will be getting electric brakes and a weight-distributing hitch to help. Since I didn't get the "tow package" I have to add what I can so the engine and tranny don't work too hard. Anything else I can do that you folks with experience trailering can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
The way I see it, the big disadvantage is the rear axle ratio. Other than that, everything included in the Big Tow is trivial with the exception of the Class IV hitch of course. You can add and aftermarket guage, and tow mirrors if you wish. You'll have to install the 7 Pin connector for the trailer brakes. The rear axle ratio and lack of the Tow Mode is really the big things. Just take it easy and keep the hill climbing to a minimum and you should be fine. Good luck and sorry to hear about your place.

G

·
Since you don't have the Big Tow package you will have to add the two relays (if you haven't done so). Also you should get the brake controller pigtail from your dealer. The plug for the pigtail is taped to a wiring harness just to the left of the steering column.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts