Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you know me by now that I'm always looking for more power or more efficiency. So in my ultimate quest to find either I contacted Kevin Wilson who is the Marketing Director for AIRAID. He has generously offered me a Throttle Body spacer for the Titan to test and see if any gains in efficiency can be had. I'll post pics of the install and post my fuel mileage to keep everyone updated on the results I see.

Now, as far as power is concerned, Kevin explained to me that it's not really a power booster that us lead footed people will feel, it's designed more for low end torque increase in the idle to 3000rpm range. My first thought was dynoing it but most dynos don't even start reading until about 3K rpm, so that wouldn't make much sense.

Stay tuned for pics and fuel mileage results. If this spacer doesn't do anything more than give us a 1 to 2mpg increase, it will be worth its weight in gold to most of us.

Stay Tuned!!

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I am definately interested in this. You know I lost a little low end torque when I had my exhaust put on. Maybe this could help me move towards the right direction. Keep us updated.
M4ck

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
im curious about these items also, I've heard from both sides that they work or they dont. your testing will be great info :) . can you use an after market intake with this, considering how close the intake is to the fan shroud?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SMOKEDYA2 said:
im curious about these items also, I've heard from both sides that they work or they dont. your testing will be great info :) . can you use an after market intake with this, considering how close the intake is to the fan shroud?
I do know my Volant is pretty close to the fan shroud. I'll just have to see how it goes smoke. There's a little "play" room with the Volant anyhow, and you know I don't quit when it comes to mods.. :lol:

Just as an added note Kevin Wilson just wrote me and told me he uses it on his 6.0L chevy crew cab and it gave him a noticeable boost towing up long grades and an honest 1.5mpg increase!!!! I can only hope it does the same on ours...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
sounds good, cant wait for some pics, did he say what the price is? mabye after your testing and everything goes wwell with it, you can talk to the guy at airaid on a group buy :wink: :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SMOKEDYA2 said:
sounds good, cant wait for some pics, did he say what the price is? mabye after your testing and everything goes wwell with it, you can talk to the guy at airaid on a group buy :wink: :wink:
I really don't understand this but I do know a lot of companies do this. The company AIRAID PowerAid does not sell directly to the public. They are a manufacturer that provides their product to vendors. One such vendor comes to mind and that is the one doing our group buy on headers, www.hopupracing.com They sell them for $99 if I remember correctly.

I'm not a corporate guru so I can't explain the process of manufacturing a product and then only selling it to vendors.....I'm sure it's a benefit to both companies by doing this or they wouldn't be doing it.

I'll talk with Steve after this test is over and see what he can do for us if there's a lot of people interested in it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've always wanted to try a Tornado - am I nuts? Does anybody have any experience with those, particularly on a Titan? (OK, I probably just showed my total lack of automotive knowledge, but I figure someone has to ask the stupid questions...)

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RAWCCD said:
I've always wanted to try a Tornado - am I nuts? Does anybody have any experience with those, particularly on a Titan? (OK, I probably just showed my total lack of automotive knowledge, but I figure someone has to ask the stupid questions...)
It's not a stupid question but has been discussed before. The general concensus is they're not worth it. Me personally....I would like to try one on a dyno and see if their claims are even remotely true. I kind of doubt it but I don't know for a fact that they are junk. Maybe someone will donate one to me and I'll give it hell on a dyno.. :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dale,
Can't wait to hear results, good or bad. Speaking of MPG's. You were doing a couple tank test to see if the straight pipes had caused your lower mpg. Did you ever come up with anything conclusive?

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Mike, with this T/B spacer going on and probably a set of headers as well I'm going to have to pass on the reinstallation of my aft cats for now. My mileage is very steady around 14. On a trip I can get 14.2, around town I get 14, hammering on it I get 13.7mpg. It's the steadiest reading mpg vehicle I've ever owned.

This is one of the main reasons my truck is a good test bed for this T/B spacer because if it does show any gains in fuel mileage, I'll know the moment I fill it up.

Here's a quick story, several weeks ago I filled it up and didn't go over 65mph once, nor did the gas pedal ever touch the floor. I babied the heck out of it for a whole tankful. I thought I was going to get run over on the highway but I wanted to see if it would make a difference.....I got a whole 14.1......So the next week I ran my usual 75 to 80mph on the highway and kept my foot to the floor, results were 13.9!!! There is no way I'm going to torture myself for .2mpg again.... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
255 Posts
No doubt, .2 mpg isnt worth the fun factor difference between hammering it and babying it.!!! 8)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hey Jettech,

I think it's one of those 'too good to be trues' but it would certainly be interesting to see the results. Thank You for sharing all of your test results with the rest of the board!!!!

Now how about some suggestions regarding my mileage please, just what you think.

-My truck has no mechanical mods (yet)
-2000 miles on it
-GPS consistently shows 3 percent more mileage than the truck which is not a big deal in the grand scheme of mileage
-Offroad rear appx 14 percent RPM increase than STD rear

I've filled up 9 times since new. I get between 9.5 and 13.4 mpg. The more highway, the better the mileage. If I figured this in with the higher ratio rear my mileage wouldn't be too bad.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chief

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Chief, about the only thing that comes to mind is the winter fuel formula that you have to deal with during the cooler months. Check with Bixll and see if he's seeing the same thing with his because he lives in PA too and is having to use the same fuel you are.

There's seems to be little difference in gas mileage between the two rear end ratios but there is between the 4x2 and 4x4's. Actually if you read some of the fuel mileage posts from other members your not too far off the average. Yes 9.5 is in the gutter, but your 13.4 isn't too shabby considering your weather and winter fuel formulation.

Sorry but other then checking with Bixll or perhaps other PA owners I really can't offer much beyond that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've always heard T/B spacers were just "an expensive paper weight", but I don't know personally...would like to, though. Please keep us informed, JT.

Chief...the best thing is to not be concerned til you break it in...alot of drag right now. Give it 20,000 or so. Then be concerned 8O

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks JetTech,

Thanks majon1,

Chief

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Well guys, I've got around 10K on mine and get a pretty consistant 15.5 - 16 mpg.............REGARDLESS of how I drive it. And, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (the wife does that :lol: ). I'd LOVE to increase it by 1.5!

Please keep up informed!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'd be extremely surprised at any power increase from a TB spacer on a port injected motor. On a carb or TB injection....yes, but that's due to better atomization of the a/f mixture. I have heard that by "tuning" the intake length/diameter, some gains can be had (longer for low-torque, shorter for hp), but it doesn't seem like adding only a 1/2" or so from a spacer would do anything. But if it even helps the mileage a little bit, it might be worth it, although $100 seems steep. At least Airraid is giving you one for free to test for us. Thanks JT.

Steve

·
Registered
162 Posts
did this test fall through or can we still expect updates :-D!!! lol. im interested to knwo about this t/b spacer, maybe the info was moved to another post/thread

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts