Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed this kit the other day and I have some concerns. Is it normal to lose 4 or 5 miles to the gallon with this type of kit? The truck's computer had showed between 13 and 14.5 all along and now after this kit it is showing between 8 and 9.5 around town. Depending how I drive, of course.
The truck definately seems a more responsive, but I might end up putting back on the stock one if this is what I am going to get.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
wow, I would say that is not right at all. Imagine if that was the norm.....I would look closely at your installation and see if you left something unhooked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, there's not much to it. 1 electrical plug and 2 hose clamps. All connected. Maybe I shouldn't go by the computer. Maybe I will just fill up my tank and calculate when I get down to empty. BTW, what size gas tanks are on the Titans? 24?
But still, something ain't right here. Sounds good, though.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Did you reset your ECU by disconn neg term on your battery overnight, or at least a few hrs? If not, the ECU is probably still learning from the new mod. It will eventually learn w/o a reset, but should learn a little faster by disconn battery (erases stored RAM in ecu). It might just have trouble adjusting proper a/f ratio with the add'l airflow with the mod, and a reset should help get it back on track.

How far is the MAF from the filter on the Airraid? I'm assuming it is an oil-charged K&N style. If so, possibly you've had some carry-over onto the MAF sensor, causing it to misread mass airflow?? Wouldn't hurt to pop the MAF out and hit it with some electrical contact cleaner. Just make sure the sensor's had plenty of time to cool first cause these are a hot-wire type sensor.

Hope things get better for ya! My mileage sucks, not matter what! :cry:

Steve

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
mrjayd said:
, what size gas tanks are on the Titans? 24?
28 gallon

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I am thinking along the same lines as RockyMtm. I would run at least 2, if not 3 tanks of gas through it before I got too worried. At the same time, I would monitor the mileage (manually) to see if it is making any changes as you go through those tanks.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Please let us know how this turns out, not only for our knowledge here on this thread, but for others who may run into the same problem. My first Titan had the Nav which had the mpg readout as well. It's not too hard to fool that thing with a heavy foot right after resetting it or babying it before you fill it up. Either way it would skew the actual mpg by up to 4mpg at times. Most times though it read about 1.5mpg too optimistic (high).

How about some pics of this setup?? Pretty pleeeeeeeeease!!! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it seems to be leveling out a little. It is swaying between 10 and 11.5 now. I just filled up my tank and will calculate it the old fashion way when I get down close to empty.

I would love to post some pics of everything I have done so far to my new toy. Can someone tell me how to post to this site? Is there a gallery or something to post to?

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
You can post in the forums by going below the place you type your message and under Add An Attachment click the Browse button. Select the file you want to share and click Add Attachment you can add up to 5 images per post. then click submit.

Or you can add them to the Gallery. http://www.clubtitan.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1
here are the directions for it.
M4ck

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey!...new guy here. I recieved the Airaid intake for Christmas. mrjayd, after several attempts...and finding tools gone, that I thought I had :? (son moved out)! Was wondering how you get the front air box bolt out. Do you use a 10mm socket, 12" extension, and a swivel...or do you just rip the front of the truck out to get to it??? Any help is appreciated...oh, yeah...my other ride's a Hemi ('03 Ram 1500 SC/SB)...I like 'em both, ahlaught!!!! :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Just pull on it (the air box I mean). It does not screw into the metal it is in a rubber grommet. You have to pull pretty hard but it will just pop out.
M4ck

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks, now that I'm done with that...what about the truck?? If I pull too hard ...will it break off? 8O It appears the same as the two uptop...granted they're mounted in rubber....but they seem to screw together..(hehehe) :wink: !

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Not sure I follow you exactly please take a look at the installation review I did for the Volant Intake I show exactly with detail pictures how to remove the stock air box. http://www.clubtitan.org/reviews-2.html if that doesn't help then maybe someone will understand exactly what you mean. Tell me if this clears things up.
M4ck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just drilled a hole right above the bolt thru the bottom of the box. Then the socket fits right down on the bolt. Very easy. It won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks, guys...espically m4ck and mrjayd! I'm thinkin' their's a better way...but didn't know til your posts 8) BTW...new guy...first post...duh! Can I get a "Welcome"?...I know a hug's out of the question :wink: I like this place...ahlaught, hope I don't offend... :D

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
LOL yeh buddy Welcome aboard. I am at work so I don't have as much free time as I usually do. I try to welcome everyone that joins but its getting to be soo many people that I'm losing track. LOL
Hope you hang around.
M4ck

·
Registered
168 Posts
:oops: Man!...you guys sure know how to welcome a guy.. :wink: Thanks...(sorry, I had to remind 'ya) :lol: Now, about that mod....!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
m4ck said:
...I try to welcome everyone that joins but its getting to be soo many people that I'm losing track...
What happened to all the Southern hopitality around here? :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts