Nissan Titan Forum banner

ALRIGHT, ENOUGH IS A ENOUGH.....I CAN'T TAKE IT.........

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Caltitan 
#1 ·
WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY I SHOULD BUY THE GIBSON DUAL EXTREME OVER THE FLOWMASTER KIT OR VICE VERSA!!!! I WANT DUALS, I WOULD LIKE THEM OUT THE SIDES. I THOUGHT I WAS SET ON THE GIBSON AND THEN I SEE THE FLOWMASTER KIT.

IS THERE A BETTER Y-PIPE SET-UP BETWEEN THE TWO?

SOME PEOPLE HAVE SAID THE FLOWMASTER DOES NOT HOLD UP WELL IN AREAS WITH ALOT OF ROAD SALT. TRUE, FALSE?

DOES THIS FLOWMASTER SYSTEM HAVE THE SAME LOW-END HP LOSS THAT M4CK EXPIERIENCED?

I AM LITERALLY PULLING MY HAIR OUT TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT. RIGHT NOW, IF I FLIPPED A COIN.....IT WOULD PROBLABLY LAND ON ITS SIDE.

THANKS,
GOING BALD

See less See more
#5 ·
the reason I lost some low end tq was because my system was not a tuned cat back system. I had mine put in custom. It was not made specific to our truck. I also have a 50 series muffler not the 70 that the cat back sytems come with. I am sure that the cat back does not have this problem. I have actually been thinking of this cat back system but I am having a hard time justifying the 400 clams when I already have a Flowmaster exhaust that I really like. I guess its time to send another email to Flowmaster for a review exhaust.
M4ck

#7 ·
I have not noticed a loss in low end with the factory made Flowmaster cat back. The engine definitely feels more powerful but only a dyno can put a number on that. So far, I am enjoying the low-toned rumble sound without the raspy tone. After a few more miles I expect the ECU to settle in with the changes and hopefully improve the MPGs. It could be that the difference in HP/torque gains between Gibson and Flowmaster (& Banks & Magnaflow, etc...) are minimal and that it will come down to things like sound tone, volume, looks, durability, warranty, and price when deciding on which one will likely make you more than satisfied.

By the way M4ck, if AEM calls with a brute force intake I will gladly make the short drive to their facility to pick it up. :lol:

#9 ·
JetTech also had a custom Flowmaster on his previous Titan. So I hope he can jump in here and post his two cents worth.

#11 ·
I've had no luck getting a good sound byte from my Gibson setup. I've tried my video cam, digital camera, laptop..........nada, no go....

Doesn't finnattic have the Gibson dual extemes like mine? See if he will try to get you a sound byte so you can hear it.

Personally though, I don't like Flowmaster.....I've never heard a flowmaster system that didn't have excessive drone and resonance. Perhaps Caltitans system is better tuned and doesn't do that, but my flowmaster days are over. I'm very partial to the Gibson because there is ZERO drone and it's barely audible on the highway, but when I'm accelerating or stomp down on it, it barks like crazy......That's what I like about it.

Power between the 2 systems I've had is about the same, so go for whatever your wallet and ears like. If you live in salt country make sure to buy a stainless kit so it will last longer.

#12 ·
finatic does have some sound clips on TT. i beleive he also has one with no resonater in the exaust, its much louder :!:

G
#14 ·
Tattoomee said:
Forgive my Un-Intelligence. What is a Resonator?
By the name, it should 'resonate' sound waves to Amplify them. Or is my Backward Thinking?
In this case your thinking is backwards. A resonator is like a small muffler, in most cases installed between the cats and the muffler. It breaks up the sound waves in the exhaust system. Think of the exhaust as something like a pipe organ. The exhaust pipe has a certain frequency where it resonates, like a organ pipe. The resonator breaks up these resonations.

#16 ·
JetTech said:
...I've never heard a flowmaster system that didn't have excessive drone and resonance. Perhaps Caltitans system is better tuned and doesn't do that...
I believe it is likely better tuned. The only way to be absolutely sure would be to have you drive it, but I'm not going to Georgia anytime soon and you're likely not headed out to So Cal. As I've said before there is a resonance like there was in my stock exhaust when cruising ~1700 RPMs, usually when climbing up a grade (which I do every day on my way home), but I do not think it is excessive and my hearing is excellent. It also seems to be getting less as more miles are being driven (ECU adjusting?). I have heard of custom Flowmaster systems (and other types) having terrible drone but I would have to say not with mine. I drive with the CD playing at volume level 8 to 10 on most days and I hear the music just fine. Since JetTech doesn't have any drone with his Gibson let that be good news to those who want zero resonance while cruising. Gibson makes a great exhaust and it was a very close second when I made my final decision to go with the Flowmaster.

#18 ·
04crew said:
What was with the Flowmaster, that you decided to go with that.
I have to say that I have heard quite a few Flowmaster exhausts on a bunch of different types of cars over the years. They seem to have the signature sound that is attractive to me and people that had them seemed very happy with the performance gains. After I heard the deep tone of a custom system on a Titan, I was very impressed. I also heard the Gibson (single out) and Banks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.